the value of a premedical advisor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blike

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How essential do you guys think a premedical advisor is? I havn't seen mine since last year, and I'm half-way embarassed to see her again. I suppose its because of my lackluster freshman year. I'm sure she'll bust out with "you'll never make it into medical school with a freshman year that bad".

Honestly I think I know enough and have enough resources to do this on my own. I have the internet, books, and a valuable source of information here! Honestly, these forums are very informative. You can gain alot just from reading posts of those gone before us.

I know what I should be taking for my degree, and I know what medical school takes. Am I making a big mistake not seeing my advisor once again this semester?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're advisor says that you'll never get into medical school, shake her hand, walk out the door, and start jumping for joy.

Okay, that's a bit extreme, but seriously, pre-med advisors are notorious for not knowing much about what it takes to get accepted. Usually they are professors filling in the role. The ones at my school were well meaning, but awful. They were so overly optimistic about my chances I felt that all I had to do was pick the school I wanted to go to. I had to learn the hard way that that was not the case.

Usually the best people to ask advice are students who have gone through the process already, especially those who have already made all the mistakes. That's why SDN is a great resource. You're on the right track by taking this process into your own hands.

That's not to say avoid your advisor completely. Hear what she has to say, but don't take it as the final word. Besides, she'll probably have to write your pre-med committee letter of recommendation so you want her to know who you are. Asking her advice is the best way.

Anyway, that's all just my opinion. Good luck!

depending on your advisor, they can be somewhat useless. I can find most of the info I need on my own.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above posters...
you can most likely find all the information, advice, etc.. that you need on your own, but I would still meet with her because she will probably be involved with your recommendation letter...just my opinion :)

because she will probably be involved with your recommendation letter

Seems lik some of you mentioned recommendation letters from pre-med committees. Are these essential? I thought some from science professors, some from non-science professors and a couple of DO recommendations would be enough. :confused:

Well, if your school has a pre-med committee most med schools will want them to write you a LOR, instead of getting a few from professors.

The way my school did it, I had to get 3 teachers to fill out a form basically letting the committee know what they thought about me. Then I had an interview with the committee and based on all that, the committee head writes the LOR. I assume med schools prefer that because its only one letter to read which is a composite from several different professors at your undergrad school.

Whether med schools will accept professor LOR's even though your school has a pre-med committee, I don't know. You'll have to call the med school and ask them.