You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
The whiner's job... I mean... clinical pharmacist.
Started by PharmDstudent
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Why is it that whiny, fussy, slow-paced, and OCD people rave about clinical pharmacy?
I enjoy the "negative" aspects of retail pharmacy, i.e. evening shifts, counting pills, working with technicians instead of nurses or doctors, and keeping busy.
If by whiny, fussy, slow-paced, and OCD, you mean smarter, it is because we are smarter.
You guys can flame on, but this is a stupid thread with no basis.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess I need a "clinical" correlation as a "basis" to state an opinion about something that doesn't need a "basis".
Why is it that whiny, fussy, slow-paced, and OCD people rave about clinical pharmacy?
Because being a good clinical pharmacist takes an anal retentive nutjob obsessed with details. I'm talking "potty trained at gunpoint by convicted pederasts threatening to rape and shoot you if you don't poop in the damned training toilet" anal retentive here.
Why is it that whiny, fussy, slow-paced, and OCD people rave about clinical pharmacy?
I enjoy the "negative" aspects of retail pharmacy, i.e. evening shifts, counting pills, working with technicians instead of nurses or doctors, and keeping busy.
It's called opinion. We all have one. In fact, I'm glad you like retail. It just means you won't be applying for my job anytime soon.
Why is it that whiny, fussy, slow-paced, and OCD people rave about clinical pharmacy?
I enjoy the "negative" aspects of retail pharmacy, i.e. evening shifts, counting pills, working with technicians instead of nurses or doctors, and keeping busy.
hmm, I don't know where I fit in here.
My OCD involves loving counting/alphabetizing and I prefer to work evenings.
But I have zero interest in retail.
I'm wondering what inspired this post?
I love rounding but I don't mind order entry. It's as clinical as you let it be - there are tons of clinical opportunities if you don't ignore them/leave them to be someone else's problem. And any pharmacist who doesn't enjoy/take care of their techs isn't worth their salary as a pharmacist.
Because being a good clinical pharmacist takes an anal retentive nutjob obsessed with details. I'm talking "potty trained at gunpoint by convicted pederasts threatening to rape and shoot you if you don't poop in the damned training toilet" anal retentive here.
This is actually a really good description. And by the way, I am officially obsessed with Dave and Busters. It was all I was looking forward to the entire week at work...
One sided shallow opinion. Whoever said clinical pharmacy was slow paced?? Have you seen a pharmacist work at a major metropolitan hospital? I have a friend who is doing his clinical residency and gets home everyday burned out because of the tons of nurses and doctors who come to him for recommendations and chart reviews......and not to talk about the nurses that give him attitude. Just like retail, it depends on where you work. Working at a one year old store in an upper middle class suburb imo will not be as fast paced a setting, and you can argue that it will suit a whiny,fussy,slow-paced pharmacist. And if you'd rather work with techs, you know there are those...like WVU says..."squirrels who want to be ship captains"...Why is it that whiny, fussy, slow-paced, and OCD people rave about clinical pharmacy?
I enjoy the "negative" aspects of retail pharmacy, i.e. evening shifts, counting pills, working with technicians instead of nurses or doctors, and keeping busy.
People rave about clinical pharmacy....at least imo....because you get to preserve more knowledge as you work unlike retail. It's just for some of us who "enjoy" being smarter. No pun intended.
This is actually a really good description. And by the way, I am officially obsessed with Dave and Busters. It was all I was looking forward to the entire week at work...
See. I told all of you. That **** IS like crack. When you get to the point when you know 3/5 of the trivia questions because you've seen them before....you know you need to get help. I personally refuse help. I don't have a problem....I can stop any time I want....really. Hell, I'm going there either tomorrow or Wednesday when I'm off of work.
This is actually a really good description. And by the way, I am officially obsessed with Dave and Busters. It was all I was looking forward to the entire week at work...
What is wrong with you... get you some girlfriends...
People rave about clinical pharmacy....at least imo....because you get to preserve more knowledge as you work unlike retail. It's just for some of us who "enjoy" being smarter. No pun intended.
An elite retail pharmacist retains, uses, and shares more information than any acute care type of pharmacist. Given the vast variety of things you see daily, it's natural to see. Retail pharmacists are like the PCPs of pharmacy. It's just that too many don't give a ****. Like I've said many times before, the most impressive pharmacist I've ever worked with owned his own pharmacy and knew every one of his patient's medical problems like his own family's. He could answer damn near any question off of the top of his head and kept up with the latest guidelines on outpatient disease management like it was his job...which it is....
Retail can be really boring, just sitting there waiting for anyone to come in, like any regular shop/store. Yes, you do share your knowledge and do patient care WHEN a customer enters the pharmacy, but in clinical I think it's all action, tedious ofcourse, but at least you'll feel like a real health professional, IMHO.
Retail can be really boring, just sitting there waiting for anyone to come in, like any regular shop/store. Yes, you do share your knowledge and do patient care WHEN a customer enters the pharmacy, but in clinical I think it's all action, tedious ofcourse, but at least you'll feel like a real health professional, IMHO.
You don't "sit" there and wait for someone to come. They're always coming and you're always standing.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Retail can be really boring, just sitting there waiting for anyone to come in, like any regular shop/store. Yes, you do share your knowledge and do patient care WHEN a customer enters the pharmacy, but in clinical I think it's all action, tedious ofcourse, but at least you'll feel like a real health professional, IMHO.
Where the heck do you work!?!? Sign me up for a job.....
Retail can be really boring, just sitting there waiting for anyone to come in.
What do you live in North Dakota or something. What I wouldn't give for 1 day where I had a couple of hours to sit around and be bored....
Tsk, tsk, PharmDstudent. I thought you were more of a "one is not superior to the other, they're just different" kind of person.
Waz up with the change of heart?
Waz up with the change of heart?
Egypt, actually.What do you live in North Dakota or something. What I wouldn't give for 1 day where I had a couple of hours to sit around and be bored....
Some of the floaters that I've worked with feel this way. They complain about retail a lot, but then they rave about clinical pharmacy. They're "clinical" pharmacist wannabes.Tsk, tsk, PharmDstudent. I thought you were more of a "one is not superior to the other, they're just different" kind of person.
Waz up with the change of heart?
I think it's crazy. If they want to do something more "clinical", then they should work elsewhere. No one is forcing them to work retail.
Some of the "clinical" pharmacists that I have worked with were very OCD. One of the pharmacists even doubted the compound that I had made due to its appearance. It's like... If you question what I mixed and want it to look a certain way, then you can do it yourself. It's not my fault that you don't remember what this is supposed to look like as a finished product.
In general, they are nice people, don't get me wrong about that, but their ideals are too much to work with at times. If they crave perfection and specialty work, then retail or hospital product dispensing isn't the place to find it.
It's called opinion. We all have one. In fact, I'm glad you like retail. It just means you won't be applying for my job anytime soon.
Well said.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 544