SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

The Year Off...

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by DentJess, Apr 17, 2007.

1. DentJess

DentJess

Apr 10, 2007
    California
    Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum :) I have a question about my year off. I am planning to submit my app, but I still want to take community college classes during the break before d-school. Do the d-schools count the classes you take during that year into your gpa? Thanks :luck:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe 5+ Year Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Tejas
    I was told by d-school admin that they do. Taking them at a cc might cause you some problems though.

4. DentJess

DentJess

Apr 10, 2007
    California
    Why might taking community college classes cause some problems?:confused:

5. xdianaax

xdianaax In memory of Riley Jane Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Sep 12, 2006
    Some schools don't like classes from a community college, that's why he said it might give you some problems.

6. americanpierg

americanpierg Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Dec 8, 2005
    time off? is that the normal timeline, i always thought it was to apply at the end of the junior year, get accepted senior year, start summer of senior year.

7. DentJess

DentJess

Apr 10, 2007
    California
    Well, I'm applying at the end of my senior year so I will have a year off.

8. shamrock2006

shamrock2006 5+ Year Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Nowhere and Everywhere
    time off is actually pretty common. I took a year off. Many go to dschool in the later 20s and well beyond. and some actually go after 2 yrs of undergrad if they are in a joint 6 yr program w/ the school...or as I like to call them...uber-fortunate

9. PrincessDMD

PrincessDMD Banned Banned

Apr 14, 2007
    I have always wondered about people getting into dental school at 19. How do they do it?? how do you get acceptance into that kind of programs?

10. shamrock2006

Oct 9, 2006
    Nowhere and Everywhere
    some schools w/ dschools have programs like this...you basically just apply for it out of high school..if you get in you just have to meet minimum requirements in order to get accepted...or to at least have a really good shot at being accepted.

11. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show Dentist Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 12, 2006
    I met a kid saturday who's 19 and starting at UoP this year. Kind of shy, but seems like a really smart kid.

12. PrincessDMD

PrincessDMD Banned Banned

Apr 14, 2007
    cool, I wish I knew this when I was in high school! lol.. So it is proberly base on your SAT and GPA in high school then?

13. shamrock2006

Oct 9, 2006
    Nowhere and Everywhere
    From what I can tell..there's already about 5 people in my class that are/were in this program. Gonna be a young group apparently:laugh:

14. Pilot Mike

Pilot Mike 2+ Year Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Not anymore :)