Theories of Creativity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Novus10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Do most psychologists believe everyone is born with creative ability?

(a) What studies support that view?

or

2. Do most psychologists believe only some people are born with creative ability?

Members don't see this ad.

or

2. Do most psychologists believe only some people are born with creative ability?

Sounds like a homework question :)

Actually, it isn't homework. It's just a subject I'm interested in. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, it isn't homework. It's just a subject I'm interested in. Thanks.

How much literature did you review/investigate/read on your own before posting this question to this board?

or

The glib answer is yes to question número uno. Like most or all abilities/aptitudes, creativity is a continuum. People aren't born without it; they have more or less of it relative to other people.

I'm not looking up research papers for you... :p

Not a very friendly approach. Get some therapy.

I would imagine a five-minute lit search would net you a significant number of hits, and provide a great place to start in researching this topic. It would also allow you to post more specific and/or informed questions that look much less suspiciously like copied-and-pasted homework assignments.

The glib answer is yes to question número uno. Like most or all abilities/aptitudes, creativity is a continuum. People aren't born without it; they have more or less of it relative to other people.

I'm not looking up research papers for you... :p

Okay, thank you.

The material I have read is mostly an overview of theories on creativity, but there is no information on whether people are born with creativity or if it is something acquired. I would like to locate an author who has covered those areas in more detail.

Not a very friendly approach. Get some therapy.

People who point out that it would benefit your learning more to do your own work need therapy? Is this how you respond to contructive criticism/suggestion? If so, I wouldn't recommend pursing graduate education in psychology...as alot of supervisor feedback is stuff that you didnt ask for and stuff you dont really wanna hear about yourself. Generally, this is the advice that helps us the most though.

It would also allow you to post more specific and/or informed questions that look much less suspiciously like copied-and-pasted homework assignments.

Instead of jumping to misplaced assumptions about homework asssignments, perhaps a more reasonable approach would be to read what I actually said, in which I made it clear that it was not for a homework assignment. Nor was it copied-and-pasted. I really don't appreciate your insinuation or the derogatory remark.

Instead of jumping to misplaced assumptions about homework asssignments, perhaps a more reasonable approach would be to read what I actually said, in which I made it clear that it was not for a homework assignment. Nor was it copied-and-pasted. I really don't appreciate your insinuation or the derogatory remark.

No assumption was made; I simply said that your post looked like a copied-and-pasted homework assignment. If you can review the post and, given its formatting and content, objectively say that it doesn't at all resemble the type of question one might see in a psychology class, I personally would be surprised. Beyond that, I'm sure we can both agree that anyone can essentially say anything on an online forum, valid or not; thus, while you stated it wasn't a homework question, and while I have no reason not to believe you, that doesn't mean it's actually true.

Getting back to the original topic--I'd imagine that if you would list out some of the sources you've read thus far, it could help people who work in the area know what you've already seen, and possibly point you in additional directions.

Members don't see this ad :)
People are more likely to offer suggestions if you show that you have actually put thought and effort in trying to find out the information before posting here. Many/Most posts like this in the forum are from people who have not done the pre-requisite work, so it is understandable that you received the responses that you did.

ps. Telling someone to "get some therapy" is not going to win you any friends. This is a professional forum, and you should treat it as such.

No assumption was made; I simply said that your post looked like a copied-and-pasted homework assignment. If you can review the post and, given its formatting and content, objectively say that it doesn't at all resemble the type of question one might see in a psychology class, I personally would be surprised. Beyond that, I'm sure we can both agree that anyone can essentially say anything on an online forum, valid or not; thus, while you stated it wasn't a homework question, and while I have no reason not to believe you, that doesn't mean it's actually true.

I don't care what questions you have seen in psychology class, I have already stated repeatedly that my questions are not a homework assignment nor do I appreciate your ongoing derogatory remarks and suspicions directed towards me. You are completely out of line.

ps. Telling someone to "get some therapy" is not going to win you any friends. This is a professional forum, and you should treat it as such.

My idea of professionalism is people who show basic courtesy and respect towards other human beings. Unfriendliness and sarcasm should never be mistaken for professionalism.

No matter, I will no longer be participating on this forum.

I don't care what questions you have seen in psychology class, I have already stated repeatedly that my questions are not a homework assignment nor do I appreciate your ongoing derogatory remarks and suspicions directed towards me. You are completely out of line.

I'm obviously not impartial in this situation, but I don't see anything in my second response that I would consider to be derogatory, suspicious, or out of line. I simply provided an explanation as to why myself and others may have initially thought you were asking a homework question, and then provided you with suggestions that might make it easier for posters knowledgeable in the relevant area to assist you.

I'm obviously not impartial in this situation, but I don't see anything in my second response that I would consider to be derogatory, suspicious, or out of line. I simply provided an explanation as to why myself and others may have initially thought you were asking a homework question, and then provided you with suggestions that might make it easier for posters knowledgeable in the relevant area to assist you.

AA, the poster wants his question answered and thats it. Period. Those that suggest things he/she does not wish to hear (perhaps he/she should do at least a rudimentary lit search on his/her own) are seen as "rude." Those that question his motives are seen as "insulting."

Personally, I think a good psychologist presents alternative ways of thinking about an issue and is ALWAYS questioning of all the possibilities and motives that underlie a behavior. The fact is, people lie. People lie often actually. Thus, psychologists that take everything at face value are poor psychologists and poor scientists.

Last edited:
AA, the poster wants his question answered and thats it. Period. Those that suggest things he/she does not wish to hear (perhaps he/she should do at least a rudimentary lit search on his/her own) are seen as "rude." Those that question his motives are seen as "insulting."

Personally, I think a good psychologist presents alternative ways of thinking about an issue and is ALWAYS questioning of all the possibilities and motives that underlie a behavior. The fact is, people lie. People lie often actually. Thus, psychologists that take everything at face value are poor psychologists and poor scientists.

Thanks for the response, erg. Based on later posts by the OP, it does seem as though he/she has done some reading already, which is great. However, I still do stand by my statement (and my, your, and others' initial reactions) that based on the formatting of the initial post, this didn't come across.

As for the second paragraph, agreed on pretty much all fronts. It can definitely be a fine line between remaining inquisitive/questioning versus, given the frequency with which we can be lied to, become cynical and jaded. Or, on the flip side, between giving the benefit of the doubt and erring on the side of caution versus being taken advantage of and/or potentially doing more harm than good.

Witnessing some old time members gang up on newcomers is upsetting, especially coming from psychologists and psychologist-to-be's. If it were up to me, I would warn those members, and subsequently ban them if they persist in their ways of alienating newcomers. This is not a good atmosphere. This is not the military nor interrogation room. No room for this sort of hostility just because you have been had in the past or you deal with people who lie or manipulate, or because you were treated this way or live in that sort of environment or work culture.

Here are three options:

1. Simply DO NOT REPLY!

2. Do not permit members with less than X number of posts to start threads asking for any kind of help with their research or studies or stats or whatever.

3. Do reply but instead of making accusations right off the bat, reply in the most general way. For instance, I have a question about intelligence, blah blah blah. Your reply, given that you assume this may be homework related: Sternberg is a major researcher in the field and you should look up his work. Or look up books with keyword X and Y. Or read this book written for lay audience, then go from there. When more evidence is presented that the person is not asking for homework help, you may provide more help, if you so choose.

But I really don't like this witch hunt. There ought to be more effective and less antagonizing way of replying to posters asking for help/guidance.

Okay, thank you.

The material I have read is mostly an overview of theories on creativity, but there is no information on whether people are born with creativity or if it is something acquired. I would like to locate an author who has covered those areas in more detail.

Well, if you are looking for a heritability vs. environment discussion, I suppose I would think that creativity is inherent in all humans with some folks being born with more creativity than others; that creativity is heterogeneous in nature; and that creativity's full capacity for expression is environmentally determined. That would be my hypothesis without looking into any research written about nature and/or nurture concerning this topic...

Last edited:
I have been reading this thread all day and I have to say that I agree that the OP sounded like a student trying to get a HW question answered. I think erg was blunt in the response, but not outright mean. Kind of reminds me of one of my old college professors. She could seem standoffish and rude, but she just expected you to find what answers you could on your own and take responsibility. She was there when you needed her and happy to help. I think everyone else especially AA and T4C offered professional criticisms and helpful advice. I think the OP would of had a better response if they had just come right out with something like, "I have read x,y,z, on this subject and I think x,y,z. What do you think is the general consensus among psychologists?"

FWIW, I'm a new comer to this forum and from what I've seen its usually the "old timers" that have the best answers and are the most respectful. Some of the most ignorant and disrespectful comments have come from the newbies. For example the comment made by the OP, "Not a very friendly approach. Get some therapy."

...But I really don't like this witch hunt. There ought to be more effective and less antagonizing way of replying to posters asking for help/guidance. [edited to keep my post from becoming ridiculously long, not to single out any one statement made by neurologyoncall]

I'll agree that some of us may have been a little snarky in our initial responses, and for my part, I readily apologize to the OP. At the same time, I don't think it occured because the OP was a newcomer; had I asked the same question in the same way, I may have gotten similar responses (e.g., "do your own lit searching, AA"). I also don't know that any of the replies were particularly out of line, and many did offer constructive feedback to the OP.

All in all, I never felt unwelcome or attacked when I first came here myself not too long ago, and I haven't seen many instances in that time where other posters have, either.

Zero doubt it's a homework/finals Q:

1. OP joined this month and only posted on this thread, no others.
2. Obvious wording of original Q.
3. UGs I know say "prove," not "support."
4. It's finals/ term paper time.

I haven't bothered to do a lit search on this topic, and this is purely anecdotal, but the amazing scope and variety of lies* I've had to endure from undergrads leads me to suspect that creativity is sumthin' everybody's got, to one degree or another. In fact, they seem eager to apply their creativity around exam time or when projects are due. "I couldn't do the assignment because I was locked out of my apartment for two and a half weeks" comes to mind, as does, "I didn't know I had to come to class because you didn't tell me I needed to."

*A friend of mine took a language class with UGs, and because she looks young they must have assumed she was one of 'em, because according to her, they spent most of their time boasting about how stupid their profs and TAs were for believing their lies and excuses...:rolleyes:

I'll agree that some of us may have been a little snarky in our initial responses, and for my part, I readily apologize to the OP. At the same time, I don't think it occured because the OP was a newcomer; had I asked the same question in the same way, I may have gotten similar responses (e.g., "do your own lit searching, AA"). I also don't know that any of the replies were particularly out of line, and many did offer constructive feedback to the OP.

All in all, I never felt unwelcome or attacked when I first came here myself not too long ago, and I haven't seen many instances in that time where other posters have, either.

Thanks for the reply. No, I did not mean you and I suppose I was upset because of Erg's reply in my own very first thread and given his reply here, I guess my feelings spilled over.

Thanks for the reply. No, I did not mean you and I suppose I was upset because of Erg's reply in my own very first thread and given his reply here, I guess my feelings spilled over. His avatar picture certainly fits well with how I perceive him to be.

Thanks for the reply. No, I did not mean you and I suppose I was upset because of Erg's reply in my own very first thread and given his reply here, I guess my feelings spilled over. His avatar picture certainly fits well with how I perceive him to be.

I chain smoke cigarettes and stalk forum newbies...:cool:

Zero doubt it's a homework/finals Q:

1. OP joined this month and only posted on this thread, no others.
2. Obvious wording of original Q.
3. UGs I know say "prove," not "support."
4. It's finals/ term paper time.

I haven't bothered to do a lit search on this topic, and this is purely anecdotal, but the amazing scope and variety of lies* I've had to endure from undergrads leads me to suspect that creativity is sumthin' everybody's got, to one degree or another. In fact, they seem eager to apply their creativity around exam time or when projects are due. "I couldn't do the assignment because I was locked out of my apartment for two and a half weeks" comes to mind, as does, "I didn't know I had to come to class because you didn't tell me I needed to."

*A friend of mine took a language class with UGs, and because she looks young they must have assumed she was one of 'em, because according to her, they spent most of their time boasting about how stupid their profs and TAs were for believing their lies and excuses...:rolleyes:

Students' excuses can definitely be fairly entertaining, especially when you know they're being less-than-truthful. I guess the old adage/cliche holds--if these individuals would spend as much time studying as they did crafting their stories and/or devising ways to cheat, the wouldn't need excuses/cheating in the first place.

Although I definitely don't think we should make the mistake of attributing all excuse making to undergrads. I've heard my fair share (and then some) from other graduate students. It's a smaller proportion, as the larger amount of time is generally spent complaining about pretty much everything, but it does happen.

Although I definitely don't think we should make the mistake of attributing all excuse making to undergrads. I've heard my fair share (and then some) from other graduate students. It's a smaller proportion, as the larger amount of time is generally spent complaining about pretty much everything, but it does happen.

Oh crap, I'm guilty of this for sure. But I think we do have a lot to complain about--most of my professors fall on the continuum between mess and certifiable.

But the worst is that some of the undergrads with extraordinary excuses (grads too) are telling the truth. So if you're a hardass across the line you're really messing some of them up. I can't tell definitively (and I don't study deception)--so I just pretend I believe them all and let them slide. It's what the profs want anyway...a reduction in complaints.

Oh crap, I'm guilty of this for sure. But I think we do have a lot to complain about--most of my professors fall on the continuum between mess and certifiable.

Haha no worries, I'm not saying a good bit of the complaining isn't justified :)

Unfortunately, as with many other things, I think it just tends to become a bit of a habit with some individuals, and then begins to generalize to...well, pretty much everything. "This restaurant really isn't all that nice.." "I've had so many better microbrews back home..." "This band really sucks..." etc etc etc

Edit: Oh, and I definitely agree with respect to letting even many of the blatantly-unbelievable excuses pass. I tend to look at it in a Blackstonian sort of way--I'd rather let ten complete liars pass than screw over the one genuine student.