Therapeutic Hypothermia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rampant

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know details on the protocol that is used by the North Carolina facility with the story coming out of North Carolina/Fox News on the woman that was pulseless and remained cooled for two days before her heart was restarted. I've seen this used with patients that have ROSC after arrest with good neuro outcomes but not the way I am hearing it described in terms of cooling a pulseless patient for days? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know details on the protocol that is used by the North Carolina facility with the story coming out of North Carolina/Fox News on the woman that was pulseless and remained cooled for two days before her heart was restarted. I've seen this used with patients that have ROSC after arrest with good neuro outcomes but not the way I am hearing it described in terms of cooling a pulseless patient for days? Thoughts?

Me thinks that the news didn't quite understand. I saw the story on my local fox and I suspect she received a standard hypothermia protocol post resuscitation.

Me thinks that the news didn't quite understand. I saw the story on my local fox and I suspect she received a standard hypothermia protocol post resuscitation.

Not necessarily...there's a few groups is Asia who use a version of ECMO to keep folks "alive" for extended periods and then have had ROSC...a couple of EM docs trained at LAC-USC now working in San Diego or Orange County described something similar (although not as extreme as 2d) on corecontent.com not too long ago.

Of course, I have no idea what the Fox story was about...I am only responding to your post and have no information about the case in NC.

HH

No idea bout the news though but seems similar to the protocol used in many major settings these days.

The University of Pittsburgh has a 2 day workshop on training for hypothermia protocol. You may get more detailed information about it on their webpage.