Therapy as a grad student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clearcolor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what the stance is on therapy for grad students at other programs.

My clincial PhD program strongly recommends that we get therapy, but does not require it or ask us about it. Most of the students in my class seem to either be in therapy or were in it previously. One idea seems to be that we cannot be responsible therapists without knowing what it is like to be on the patient side. Another idea I heard from one psychologist (not at my program) is that we need to work through any of our own issues in order to best be able to serve another patient.

What is the vibe at your program?

Members don't see this ad.

I've done it, and would gladly do it again when I'm in grad school. I just have to get some new issues first. :p

I think it's a good idea. A well-rounded understanding of the experience of being a patient can only help, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a good idea as a grad student to see a therapist for a bit. Even at strong research institutions, it is often recommended for a number of reasons, whether the student thinks he/she has "issues" or not. The other nice thing about it is that often grad students get a discount because many psychologists in practice who may (or may not be) be loosely associated with the university but not directly with you (clinical supervisors for other students, adjuncts who may lecture once in awhile, etc., but don't have supervisory role over you at all, or just familiar with the community) reserve a few reduced fee slots for 1 or 2 patients - ie grad students. Its the best deal you'll ever get on therapy- even if you have insurance - which usually doesn't cover much. :luck:

It's a good idea and one that should seriously be considered before going down the path of becoming a psychologist.

However, no program should make it a part of their requirements, formal or informal. Psychotherapy cannot be "forced" and anyone who is in it just to satisfy some requirement is not going to enjoy it or benefit from it.

John