There are back doors to medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yorku

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently M1 in Rosalind Franklin University.
During my first year I had the pleasure of studying with M1A students, they are kids who went to a 1 year BMS Masters degree program. If I knew about this program 4 years ago I would have defiantly been in my residency years...
This program apparently gives you an automatic interview with the school. More importantly they accept 50-60 % of those students (there are ~120 of them). The key part is doing well on in your class: courses consist of: Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Physiology, Neuro...
The good thing is that your first M1 year is half the load since you already took half of the courses during the program...
I am writing this to all the people who spend more than 1-2 years applying and are desperate. The cost is significant you pay 1 year of your life + 50K but hey you get 50% chance of getting in and it is all in your hands. Much better than Caribbeans I think! I know of people with 25 MCAt and 3.4 GPA getting in.

There are similar programs in other schools Boston has a 2 year program.
Just food for thought.
yorku!

Members don't see this ad.

Medicine is full of backdoors and the great part is most pre-meds don't have a clue about them.

So...you're just talking about SMPs, right? I would think that most people here would know about them.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread was much less dirtier than I imagined.

Reactions: 2 users
Perhaps SMPs are well known to the SDN community but to most people who go into college thinking 'oh, I think I'mma be a premed' and do bad in their prereqs, they think their shot is ruined.

Yeah, you have to remember that SDN is like the top 20% of pre-meds. I am infinitely more wiser ever since I join this site

Yeah, you have to remember that SDN is like the top 20% of pre-meds. I am infinitely more wiser ever since I join this site
There's lots of good info here to be had, but I'd bet the bottom 50% is better represented than the top 50%. And the percentage of actual applicants represented is lower than you might think.

Medicine is full of backdoors and the great part is most pre-meds don't have a clue about them.

Perhaps SMPs are well known to the SDN community but to most people who go into college thinking 'oh, I think I'mma be a premed' and do bad in their prereqs, they think their shot is ruined.

And to both of you, I vote we keep it that way.

There's lots of good info here to be had, but I'd bet the bottom 50% is better represented than the top 50%. And the percentage of actual applicants represented is lower than you might think.
Yeah, I think I'm paraphrasing what Narmerguy said once, but SDN is pretty much a bimodal representation of premeds. Lots of people doing really well trying to maximize their chances, and lots of people doing pretty badly trying to save their chances. Not a lot of "average" applicants on here. Also keep in mind that ~50k active users on SDN is not all premeds, and there are 40,000 applicants each year? Take out every user that's already a med student or above, and all the ones that are in different fields, and I bet less than a couple percent of premeds in the country actually know about SDN.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, for some reason it's surprising to me that other pre-med people in my classes don't know about it...I've mentioned SDN before and people seem relatively clueless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I think I'm paraphrasing what Narmerguy said once, but SDN is pretty much a bimodal representation of premeds. Lots of people doing really well trying to maximize their chances, and lots of people doing pretty badly trying to save their chances. Not a lot of "average" applicants on here. Also keep in mind that ~50k active users on SDN is not all premeds, and there are 40,000 applicants each year? Take out every user that's already a med student or above, and all the ones that are in different fields, and I bet less than a couple percent of premeds in the country actually know about SDN.

I wish someone(Apumic) would map out a statistical rate for the probability of a SDN pre-med getting into medical school. I'd love to compare it to the national rates.

Last edited:
Is because I am butt hurt with all the ******s that I know will be my colleagues.
I am witnessing people who have zero ability to understand physiological concepts get in because they memorized their way through Biochem and cell bio. I would much rather have people get in to this program with either a low MCAT or a Low GPA... Not Both!!!! How the hell is it fair that it took me half a decade + 3 MCATs and crappy living and work conditions just to get in.... And those folks simple knew the back door. My problem was only the Verbal section on the MCAt since I am an immigrant.
I would love if you spread the word to more deserving candidates and that more people know about this program.
The current situation is that 50% of the class are super smart and the other 50 is eh... you know. They will be treating patients for gods sake....

Sorry for the super personal input :(

Is because I am butt hurt with all the ******s that I know will be my colleagues.
I am witnessing people who have zero ability to understand physiological concepts get in because they memorized their way through Biochem and cell bio. I would much rather have people get in to this program with either a low MCAT or a Low GPA... Not Both!!!! How the hell is it fair that it took me half a decade + 3 MCATs and crappy living and work conditions just to get in.... And those folks simple knew the back door. My problem was only the Verbal section on the MCAt since I am an immigrant.
I would love if you spread the word to more deserving candidates and that more people know about this program.
The current situation is that 50% of the class are super smart and the other 50 is eh... you know. They will be treating patients for gods sake....

You don't have to be a genius to be a doctor.

Agreed. I was at a pre-health meeting once and I made a joke about SDN -for some reason- and everyone just stared at me. So I had to explain to them that it was a "forum for pre-meds". :rolleyes:
I actually make an effort to keep SDN a secret from anyone who doesn't know about it, especially other premeds. I don't want all the people I know coming on here, and at the same time I don't think they deserve to know about it if they're too lazy to find it themselves. SDN is like one of those hidden treasures you stumble upon if you're making an effort to educate yourself beyond what older premeds and your advisors say, and I like it that way.
I someone(Apumic) would map out a statistical rate for the probability of a SDN pre-med getting into medical school. I'd love to compare it to the national rates.
That would be interesting indeed.

I someone(Apumic) would map out a statistical rate for the probability of a SDN pre-med getting into medical school. I'd love to compare it to the national rates.

How about I be your "advisor" and then delegate that project back to you? :laugh:

....Then we can both put it on our apps!

How about I be your "advisor" and then delegate that project back to you? :laugh:

....Then we can both put it on our apps!

:laugh: Sorry my work ethic is much to be desired when compared to your history of deeds. But it would be truly an interesting project to conduct.

Anyways I can't believe I forgot the verb wish in that sentence. I could have totally sworn I put it in. God I need to proofread what I say on here lol.

Last edited:

I agree that SDN contains the top 20% of pre meds, but then I read some other comments and I get the feeling that the bottom 5% found their way here too!

Just responding to this thread with some knowledge from someone who graduated in 2008.

I agree to whoever said that pre meds do not know about them.

I did not .

I graduated from Boulder with a 3.1 gpa (sci and cum) with Mol Bio.

Originally wanted to be a scientist and never even CONSIDERED medicine because I seriously screwed up my first three semesters of school. Thought that I had no chance of ever being a doctor because of that GPA.

After taking 2 years off in which I worked in a TOTALLY different field (I was doing IT consulting) I discovered SDN and realized that there were tons of backdoors into med school... and even ppl with 2.5gpas have a chance of eventually getting in if they can prove themselves in SMP's and extra curriculars ...

I am currently studying for the mcat and will either be doing a SMP or going to podiatry school next year (I like the whole concept that when you do podiatry you get to do surgery). I did not even here of podiatry until after i graduated.

tl;dr; Pre meds do not know anything about backdoors. SDN rocks.

Really? People don't know about SDN even those at large universities? We definitely do have quite the dichotomy of students at SDN.

Don't be salty because of your hardships. In the end, other people will have it easier than you and that's just the reality of things, get over it. At the end of the road, we're all looking for the same thing so just keep your mind set on that.

Just responding to this thread with some knowledge from someone who graduated in 2008.

I agree to whoever said that pre meds do not know about them.

I did not .

I graduated from Boulder with a 3.1 gpa (sci and cum) with Mol Bio.

Originally wanted to be a scientist and never even CONSIDERED medicine because I seriously screwed up my first three semesters of school. Thought that I had no chance of ever being a doctor because of that GPA.

After taking 2 years off in which I worked in a TOTALLY different field (I was doing IT consulting) I discovered SDN and realized that there were tons of backdoors into med school... and even ppl with 2.5gpas have a chance of eventually getting in if they can prove themselves in SMP's and extra curriculars ...

I am currently studying for the mcat and will either be doing a SMP or going to podiatry school next year (I like the whole concept that when you do podiatry you get to do surgery). I did not even here of podiatry until after i graduated.

tl;dr; Pre meds do not know anything about backdoors. SDN rocks.

To me, it looks really bad on your part from switching to medicine, to be a scientist, to back to medicine and then podiatry. From an outside perspective, people will think you're only in it for the money and from that people will look down on you. Make up your mind and keep your options to yourself.

To me, it looks really bad on your part from switching to medicine, to be a scientist, to back to medicine and then podiatry. From an outside perspective, people will think you're only in it for the money and from that people will look down on you. Make up your mind and keep your options to yourself.
So you think it's better when someone has decided their career goals at age 12 or 15 or 18 (you fill in the blank) knowing nothing about themselves or the real world? Or worse yet, when their career direction was decided by parents?

Your view is silly and is not broadly shared. People who redirect their career and life decisions as more mature adults, based upon actual experiences, bring a valued perspective and diversity to professional schools of any flavor.

I am glad that I have a 'backdoor' of my own as long as I meet the requirements.....plus I am URM status.

I am glad that I have a 'backdoor' of my own as long as I meet the requirements.....plus I am URM status.

No offense but I hope you are not trying to ride your URM status and lower your standards for getting in because of a inherent advantage.

So many damn URM premeds at my school are claiming all they need is this low MCAT and GPA and they are in.

This mentality could prove fatal...literally. Only adults should be allowed to be doctors.

would someone kindly explain some of these back doors? Im gonna be starting my journey next year and it would nice to understand some options if life takes a wrong turn :) thanks

I'm writing an eBook as we speak...

Sounds good just so long as we get commission for writing the sloppy but "promising" testimonials you'll use on your overly-bright-colored website that looks like it came out of an early 90s Word document

I think you should definitely model the website after this one of Yale's to keep, you know, the prestige around and all. (You could even state that your product was inspired by Yale this way.)

Also, try using some of the content from this site. I especially like the use of testimonials and the slightly "delayed" sounded woman who does the voice over for the site. It adds that "special touch."

SIGH! If I had seen that 3 years ago, I could be halfway through my second year of medical school right now.
The director there used to be the director at my post-bac program, I liked her a lot and am so glad she took a chance on me. :) I didn't realize the Temple program guaranteed admission! I could have been a lot further along, too, probably a third year. If wishes were fishes, I guess.

Move. To. Texas.

it's obvious, really. heavy duty in-state preference, tons of seats relative to the population, hell you can even have your bad grades erased if they're over ten years old.

I'm probably biased since I'm in an SMP right now, but I don't think this "back door" option is that bad. I'm doing the one in Ft Worth and even though they reserve 1/4-1/3 of the seats for the SMP students, it's still competitive. Sure, some people got in to the program with really low GPAs and MCAT scores, but I would much rather trust a couple of those people to be my doctor than some of the people I've met with spectacular grades in undergrad. Also, the same people with both low GPAs and MCAT scores that get into med school from SMP probably did really well in the SMP. People can improve, right?
Yeah it's unfair that you put in so much work, but that's life. It sucks to see that my friend from undergrad who was in the same yr as me is going to start her 3rd yr at med school while I start my 1st. I took the backdoor option, but does that mean I get to med school quicker? No. You have to learn who to ask for help. I didn't know about SMPs. After the last cycle, I asked my advisor for all options, and HE told me about them.

Move. To. Texas.

it's obvious, really. heavy duty in-state preference, tons of seats relative to the population, hell you can even have your bad grades erased if they're over ten years old.

I'm going to become a Texan! :)

I'm going to become a Texan! :)

Honestly my parents were about to move to Texas. But they decided against it. It made me very unhappy about not being able to get a good shot at 5 medical schools that cost under 10k a year.

Honestly my parents were about to move to Texas. But they decided against it. It made me very unhappy about not being able to get a good shot at 5 medical schools that cost under 10k a year.

Less than 10K a year? No way! I wouldn't even need to take out a loan.

I am currently M1 in Rosalind Franklin University.
During my first year I had the pleasure of studying with M1A students, they are kids who went to a 1 year BMS Masters degree program. If I knew about this program 4 years ago I would have defiantly been in my residency years...
This program apparently gives you an automatic interview with the school. More importantly they accept 50-60 % of those students (there are ~120 of them). The key part is doing well on in your class: courses consist of: Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Physiology, Neuro...
The good thing is that your first M1 year is half the load since you already took half of the courses during the program...
I am writing this to all the people who spend more than 1-2 years applying and are desperate. The cost is significant you pay 1 year of your life + 50K but hey you get 50% chance of getting in and it is all in your hands. Much better than Caribbeans I think! I know of people with 25 MCAt and 3.4 GPA getting in.

There are similar programs in other schools Boston has a 2 year program.
Just food for thought.
yorku!

BU and Tufts programs are not back door programs unlike RFU's SMP.

These programs are all SMPs aka Special Master's Programs. The term comes from Gtown where the idea of such programs was founded when Gtown was in bankruptcy in the mid 70s. The idea of such programs went on to BUSM, Drexel, and eventually in the last decade to Tufts, EVMS, USF, etc.

But they are not as much of a backdoor at everywhere that has such.

RFU and EVMS yes if you get in and do well they are a backdoor cuz you are not required to retake your MCAT even if you have less then 30 necessarily.

This is not true at other schools.

BUSM GMS aka MAMS and Gtown SMP and Tufts MBS all are pretty competitive to get into but even more competitive to get into their medical school

There is roughly a 1 in 6 chance of getting into Gtown or BU from the program at best if you think about it. Only about 20 out of 180 students get into these schools for medical school. They are not direct feeders like RFU.

And getting a high GPA and MCAT in GMS does not mean anything. If your GPA is low from ugrad regardless of how you do in GMS you still have a high chance of being rejected from BU med. So might want to think twice before you make such statements.

Only 5 kids were accepted or so it is rumored at BUSM in the first cut of acceptances from the GMS candidates. That's 5 out of 180 but 5 out of 40 that interviewed.

That is 1/8 odds. That is hardly a backdoor entrance to med school. The kids that got in that I know of. At least 4 out of 6 of them that I know who were accepted into BUSM had strong stats even without GMS but just needed a slight bump. May have gotten into med school even without GMS. One of those actually prob. didn't even need the bump based on his reported GPA on here. Another 2 of them had low ugrad GPAs but high MCAT scores. One of them was in a difficult major in a difficult school so more leeway would be given to him anyhow. He might have gotten in even without GMS. The other had personal stuff they went through in ugrad that caused them to do not as well as expected but did really high and got a high MCAT score to make up for it. With a year or two of postbac and same mcat score they prob. would have gotten in somewhere anyhow as they had already had one acceptance at time of BU decision.

Do not assume that doing GMS is an easy in for getting into BUSM. They still look at ugrad GPA, mcat, other stuff they look at for normal admissions, and where you went to ugrad. Most get rejected not accepted into their own school. that is hardly a backdoor.

EVMS and RFU are the only two I consider true linkages. USF used to be but even USF only let 4 out of 20 into their med program this past year.

Less than 10K a year? No way! I wouldn't even need to take out a loan.

Well Baylor and San Antonio are under 10k (minus fees and such...only tuition), and the others come really close! They're around 10-15k for tuition only, I believe

Get off your high horse. many would say your low verbal also makes them better then you too. You'd not like it. So don't judge the others for what is their weakness. It doesn't take a genius as serenade pointed out. They clearly did something right as they passed first year med classes. And not everyone who does that program is a ******. I can give personal examples but don't want them to read it and come back to bite me in the butt for mentioning them. But I would take the friend that did RFU BMS to a lot of people I know who got in the normal way any day.

http://services.aamc.org/postbac/

On that site, you can look up the postbac programs. I have a question though... which ones are the same program as the Temple one that was posted? Do you look it up under Special Program Focus --> academic record enhancers? Cause I just see SMPs.

"Butt hurt" indeed. It's more important for physicians to have English communication skills than conceptual vs memorized physiology and biochem knowledge.

Lol, that's life. You can only plan with the information at hand. Plus the information's out there, you just gotta go find it. Ain't no one gonna just spoon feed you stuff. If you're too lazy/incompetent to find the necessary info ... well tough ****.

Question : you can't do a SMP if you don't have some of the pre-reqs though, right?

I'm doing a post bacc program right now, and I like it. I know some people who applied to med schools and didn't get in so they did advanced coursework in a postbacc and then others who did the SMP... so far the people who did the official postbac are getting into better schools, (ie Tulane vs UPenn).

I think that's probably due to better MCATs and GPA and not a difference in how the medschools perceive the programs.... but if you guys think an SMP is better then hell, I will change ASAP.

Question : you can't do a SMP if you don't have some of the pre-reqs though, right?

I'm doing a post bacc program right now, and I like it. I know some people who applied to med schools and didn't get in so they did advanced coursework in a postbacc and then others who did the SMP... so far the people who did the official postbac are getting into better schools, (ie Tulane vs UPenn).

I think that's probably due to better MCATs and GPA and not a difference in how the medschools perceive the programs.... but if you guys think an SMP is better then hell, I will change ASAP.

this is not the part for postbac advice. There's a postbac forum for that further down in the forums. However, that being said, SMPs are ALWAYS A LAST RESORT

Note the caps is not for yelling but emphasis.

Secondly, postbac should always be a first option to bring grades up and stuff and doing well on the MCAT. If that still doesn't work or you still need the extra push then SMP is there.

Alternatively SMP is for the person who wants the slight extra push who is just borderline like 3.4 decent MCAT but wants one last bump and can handle it.

SMPs are no joke since med school is no joke. Kids who go through it have done the prereqs, taken the MCAT, etc. etc. They are people who often need one last bump up because they have something that is still holding them back. They work their rear ends off. To think it is a backdoor and easy way into med school is a joke. And what is worse is that a med student can get a way with a C if a SMP student gets anything short of As or Bs they are screwed pretty much. Furthermore, they often have to retake the same classes when they start medical school, sometimes even if the medical school they eventually attend is a host school.

Yorku,

The fact that you are a medical student whining about SMP students is what I find disturbing. What does it matter to you what those people are going through to get into medical school??? YOU are in medical school. Even if you did an SMP there is no guarantee that you would've gotten into the school. Last year, USF's program like RFU BMS took only 4 out of 20 students. Their relatively unknown name meant a lot of other schools didn't take stock into what they did though they did the whole of first year medical school basic sci courses. Only thing these kids did not do was clinical stuff (Physical diagnosis, longitudinal clinical experience, colloquium (sp??). They did everything else. The 4 who made it in now have to repeat all of that all over again despite doing well. They cannot just TA the classes like at some programs. Imagine going through the hell of first year med school twice over and then tell me these kids have it easy.

You are a whiny fool who clearly needs to go back to your books and stop worrying about those who are struggling to get into medical school as they are barely going to affect your ability to get into residency. If you don't get into residency of choice that will be all on you.

Furthermore, take into consideration that these kids sometimes spend more years then you. Sometimes its not due to inability but lower grades due to circumstances like illness that affected a few semesters that brought their whole GPAs to closer to 3.1to 3.3, sometimes it is due to having to help take care of a family member while in school, etc. You don't know what caused their previous GPAs. Also do not assume that someone who won't be able to do well in class will make it to medical school.

I know a lot of kids who were just barely passing when I was at BUSM for their MAMS program (their SMP). And some of them had 3.8 ugrad GPAs though in easier majors like psychology. They got to med classes and they were failing miserably. Guess what??? They didn't get into med school because of it. They were weeded out even before getting to application stage. There were plenty like these psychology majors. I knew others too who were doing really poorly and many others. Most of them are not getting in any time soon short of bring up the GPA with other grad classes or going to the islands or possibly DO.

So it is not like every kid that comes out of the program will have an easy in with SMPs. Please get your facts straight before you criticize something you clearly don't understand.

Sorry one last point to make. You were international according to your post history. So you will have it tougher. Citizens and permanent residents are always and should always be given priority to an international student. That is the fact of the matter.

The international students at BU MAMS are not getting easier ins. Some of them have strong MCAT scores, strong GPAs from ugrad, strong GPAs in the program and still are not getting an easy in. there are very few schools that take international students. keep that in mind. But have a nice life. I'm off this thread forever as I don't care whether or not you respond or not at this point.

Last edited:
I feel like I read somewhere that RFU is stopping or at least phasing out the BMS program, but I have no idea where that was.