There is hope...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

serious worker

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This message is to all of you out there who feel like there is NO way you are going to get into pharmacy school with your current PCAT scores... well here's some news...

I was in your shoes. My best PCAT composite score (I took it 3 times) was a 59... yeh, horrible, right? Well, I just wanted to say I got my letter of acceptance today and so I can officially say

THERE IS STILL HOPE FOR ALL OF YOU! Don't stop trying, you never know what will happen. I thought my score was horrible, but apparently my GPA and other factors helped boost me a bit. So do NOT give up! Anyone can do it if they put their minds to it! 🙂

Good luck to all of you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Serious Worker,
If you don't mind me asking, what was your gpa when you applied and were you extremely involved in outside activities? thanks!!
 
My GPA was a 4.0 and I have been working for Wal-Mart Pharmacy as a technician for 2 years. I was involved in just a few activities on campus, but not much because I focused more on my grades. I also volunteered at a nursing home during spare time. I did not have a degree when I applied. I am 20 years old... was a post secondary student my senior year in high school- so technically I did the pre-pharmacy program over 3 years... which helped me take lighter loads and do even better with my classes.
 
This message is to all of you out there who feel like there is NO way you are going to get into pharmacy school with your current PCAT scores... well here's some news...

I was in your shoes. My best PCAT composite score (I took it 3 times) was a 59... yeh, horrible, right? Well, I just wanted to say I got my letter of acceptance today and so I can officially say

THERE IS STILL HOPE FOR ALL OF YOU! Don't stop trying, you never know what will happen. I thought my score was horrible, but apparently my GPA and other factors helped boost me a bit. So do NOT give up! Anyone can do it if they put their minds to it! 🙂

Good luck to all of you!



Congrats on your acceptance to pharmacy school.

All I can say is you must have really high cumulative and Science GPAs to offset that 59 PCAT composite score.


For applicants with low GPA, your composite PCAT scores must be above 70s. The higher the score, the better your chance is. (applying early helps too)
 
u must be kidding me 😡

Nope, unfortunately I'm not. I had a GPA only slightly below the average for the people they accepted too. Oh well, there's always next year, at least I have time to strengthen my application even more.

All the other applicants I talked to thought for sure I was a shoo-in but I guess one can never be certain.
 
Nope, unfortunately I'm not. I had a GPA only slightly below the average for the people they accepted too. Oh well, there's always next year, at least I have time to strengthen my application even more.

All the other applicants I talked to thought for sure I was a shoo-in but I guess one can never be certain.

Did you apply to only one school? I would think that schools would be willing to at least give you an interview with a PCAT of 98.
 
actually, i think they were looking at more than just high PCAT and high GPA. 96 percentile on PCAT, overall GPA around 3.2, but good pharmacy experience (walgreen's and hospital), understanding the workings of a good pharmacy, good leadership roles and extracurriculars, research experience in undergrad, stand out essay, great interview, and having a BA in chemistry. i was worried about getting in, but alas, it's not just grades and standardized testing--it's your potential.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I met with an admissions counselor and they told me I had a good interview, a good essay, but I hadn't tried to sell myself enough on my application. Live and learn.