Frank101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.1
Science GPA: 3.4
OAT: 300AA, 310 Science Average
Degree: None
AND I have just accepted a seat.
If I can do it, any one of you can do it!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats. Where did you get in? And did you have lots of shadowing experience?

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually got accepted to Pacific and ICO. I don't think schools care too much about the OAT. I think it's more about personality, goals, passion for the field and whether or not you're a good fit for the school. Michigan out right rejected me, so each school is different. That's just my take on it and I feel very lucky. I hope all of you have the same experience as me.

I am so sick of naysayers and negative posters on SDN.
I mean, REALLY????

Someone says exactly what their stats are and then provides hope to us "normal" "average" "regular" students and what happens????

Responses like, "only Puerto Rico would accept that"....."what were your specific grades in each class"......"those scores aren't great"...."how did you get in?"

GEEEEEEZUS people! It's because of overachieving, pessimistic, down-right nerds like you that make people like me (trying her hardest to pull a B out of all the extremely challenging science course I have to take while working part time) that makes me want to rethink becoming an Optometrist.

And that is NOT because of the hard work it takes, but because of your attitudes. I don't know if I want to work in a field with a bunch of pessimists whose best friends are probably their own left hands.

Arrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhh! Stop the negativity, PLEASE!!!

There's nothing wrong with a simple, "Congratulations!"

I mean, REALLY????

Someone says exactly what their stats are and then provides hope to us "normal" "average" "regular" students and what happens????

Responses like, "only Puerto Rico would accept that"....."what were your specific grades in each class"......"those scores aren't great"...."how did you get in?"

GEEEEEEZUS people! It's because of overachieving, pessimistic, down-right nerds like you that make people like me (trying her hardest to pull a B out of all the extremely challenging science course I have to take while working part time) that makes me want to rethink becoming an Optometrist.

And that is NOT because of the hard work it takes, but because of your attitudes. I don't know if I want to work in a field with a bunch of pessimists whose best friends are probably their own left hands.

Well, if it's any consolation, it's the internet. Students in real life/working optometrists that I have talked to are much more upbeat and optimistic.

Congrats bro, im glad you have been accepted. Good luck. Oh and i kinda agree with Visual in that you shouldn't make someone in any way feel bad when they are just trying to motivate others. Anyways oh well....:thumbup:

Questions like "what were your specific grades in each class" and "how did you get in?" often come from students in similar situations wanting to know where "they stand" compared to the small pool of applicants on SDN.

Take comments on here with a grain of salt.

Questions like "what were your specific grades in each class" and "how did you get in?" often come from students in similar situations wanting to know where "they stand" compared to the small pool of applicants on SDN.

Take comments on here with a grain of salt.

Haha, or they come from the aforementioned *******s :rolleyes:

I mean, REALLY????

You'll encounter this with any field you go into, not just optometry.

Wow, I didn't expect to stir any controversy. I just wanted to let some people know that it's not all about test scores and grades. I looked at my entering class profile and the admitted GPA range was 2.85-4.0 along with a 280-400AA for the OAT. So don't fret to those who are about to embark on the application processes. In response to some of your questions, I don't know what each score was for the sections of my OAT, but I know I had an AA of 310 because I remember doing poorly on Organic Chemistry. I think I posted my scores somewhere on SDN. Just search under my user name and you should be able to find it. I personally think I was at a disadvantage compared to a lot of other students, especially since I am without a bachelors degree. However, it appears that isn't such a big deal. I'm not sure of how many people are accepted without a bachelors, I'm just saying that with my experience, it apparently didn't matter. From what I understand my interview went very well because I was clear and concise about what I want to do and how I wanted to go about doing it, that of course being an optometrist. I hope this helps and any of you preparing for the application process starting around august, please let me know if you have any questions and i'll give you my humble opinion.