TheTortureChair

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JustInCASE

Superior Being
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Safety

Members don't see this ad.

what program are you at where they treat the residents with such little respect? can you bring your complaints to the ACGME?

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds very interesting, care to share with us the name of the program so I can endlessly mock the faculty there from now and until eternity??

Why the HELL do Hospital CEOs think that researchers are qualified to run pathology departments?? Half of our nation's researchers are so socially inept as to qualify as being autistic. I would rather have Dwight Shrute from the Office run a department more than many research types I know.

fp8756_b~The-Office-Dwight-Posters.jpg

I think (although I could be wrong) that one might figure out what institution the OP attends by looking at his username closely. ;)

are you serious? for him, some of your residents just do not work hard enough.

your PD is one of the best PDs i met during my interview.

anyway i'd like to transfer to your program if any residents leave.

I still love every one of them.

this thread brings up an interesting point - do hospitals need pathology residents they way they need clinical residents? that is to say that a medicine team could never run without the interns and residents to manage patients day to day, but do path residents provide essential services on a day to day basis? if the answer is yes, then the OP should feel safe that his PD can rant about residents 'finding another spot' all he wants, but if the answer is no, then it's not so easy. whatever the reason, it takes a big pair for the OP to write what he did, so for that i say thanks on behalf of applicants in the next few years.

i agree that when the ACGME comes is NOT the time to bring up a complaint for the first time, but if you've gone to a PD multiple times and he gives residents the brush off, what's the next place to go? maybe department chair? maybe the head of GME at your particular institution? i dunno, but resident issues should be adressed, and if the PD won't hear them, then he has no right to get pissy when you take things over his head.

Your chair is new but not that new, right? I mean, he's been there for about 2 years? Unless you guys got another one more recently.

Is this sign still posted outside the residents room:
stfu_lg.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Woo not a happy looking guy.

I think LA Doc might be right about the sign...

Hrmmm I can't change the size of that.. any help?

I will glad tell any reviewer nearly every residency program is poo. Academics have no clue what or how pathology is practiced. Far worse than say a Econ PhD explaining how to run a business when theyve been a university employee their whole career...

I still cant fathom medical students getting worked up over not being "selected" by Pathology PDs....this isnt Derm or Rads, 40% of the people end up failing boards, those 60% who pass mostly go on to being being pimped out by established groups. WTF kinda of "honor" are they bestowing on you??

Yes, maybe when you are >50 years old you can become a profit sharing partner...maybe.

Yup. He sounds like an out-of-touch idiot.

Path training is about 90% knowledge. How the F@#$K are you supposed to acquire it if you aren't reading.

your program does have difficulty to "attract quality researchers". i am a researcher but no one in your program ever told me they were interested in my candidacy :p

i believe your department should have a chief for clinical affairs. the clinical chief and the PD should be the persons who run the residency program.

In terms of your ACGME issue, this is precisely what the ACGME meetings are for. It is not your responsibility to protect the program from the ACGME if the program is not training you effectively. If a program truly has it in for residents and acts vindictively, you are well within your rights (and encouraged by many) to bring this up with ACGME. Ultimately, despite what they say, they have to answer to ACGME.

Department chairs face pressure from many directions, mostly it seems in terms of research funding and department direction. But to take it out on residents is extremely weak and defeats the purpose completely of being in an academic institution.

Obviously, your side of the story is only one side of the story though. If the problems really are severe, you need to take your concerns to GME and ACGME if your program director doesn't seem concerned.

That sounds very interesting, care to share with us the name of the program so I can endlessly mock the faculty there from now and until eternity??

Why the HELL do Hospital CEOs think that researchers are qualified to run pathology departments?? Half of our nation's researchers are so socially inept as to qualify as being autistic. I would rather have Dwight Shrute from the Office run a department more than many research types I know.

fp8756_b~The-Office-Dwight-Posters.jpg
Thank you, I will not let you down.

FYI, this thread has the potential to be a problem. I caution people against slandering others by name who are not here to defend themselves. This can be a place to discuss residency grievances, etc, but keep the above in mind. Sometimes it is best to avoid specific names when the charges are such and unsubstantiated apart from one poster's opinion.

good point...

the moderator should remove the picture. it is not appropriate to post the picture here.

I will give people the chance to remove the pictures themselves, which is always preferable to unilaterally intervening.

to bring this back to the original issue a bit, to what extent has the chief resident at the program been involved in these issues? has he/she been supportive of the residents or the department? actually, that brings up a good question - to whom should the chief resident be more loyal - fellow residents or the program itself?

to bring this back to the original issue a bit, to what extent has the chief resident at the program been involved in these issues? has he/she been supportive of the residents or the department? actually, that brings up a good question - to whom should the chief resident be more loyal - fellow residents or the program itself?

theoretically, the chief resident should serve fellow residents. but it is tough for a chief resident to be loyal to both the fellow residents and the program if the faculty and residents do not see eye to eye.

<Start hijacking of otherwise useful thread>

Hey Sleeping Beauty,

As an aside, nice signature. I wonder, though, if Socrates was laughing madly when he said it.

I rather like to think so. ;)

By the quote (and my USMLEWorld percentages), I suppose I'm wicked smaht. :p

<End hijacking of otherwise useful thread>

<Start hijacking of otherwise useful thread>

Hey Sleeping Beauty,

As an aside, nice signature. I wonder, though, if Socrates was laughing madly when he said it.

<End hijacking of otherwise useful thread>

I doubt it, mostly because he never said that.. at best it is a distortion of
I reasoned thus with myself: I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know.
or this

I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.

Personally I prefer, "Who is a wise man? He who learns of all men.","You can educate a fool, but you cannot make him think.", or "Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution."

damn all the editing, I can't read the juicy stuff now.

Someone brought up an interesting point regarding chiefs and their role. Our chief is atrocious. To maintain anonymity, I will refer to him/her as "It". It is the most self-centered, self-serving, whiny bratty child on the planet. It says what It thinks everyone wants to hear, but is grossly ineffective. It makes me wonder why It even wanted the damn spot in the first place, I mean isn't it somewhat obvious that being a chief may involve a slight bit more (gasp!) work? Its interaction with the rest of the residents is slim to none and I really just want to go out and slash Its tires more and more every day. Thankfully, It is on Its way out and we can all just put this year to rest.

I need more coffee.

damn all the editing, I can't read the juicy stuff now.

Someone brought up an interesting point regarding chiefs and their role. Our chief is atrocious. To maintain anonymity, I will refer to him/her as "It". It is the most self-centered, self-serving, whiny bratty child on the planet. It says what It thinks everyone wants to hear, but is grossly ineffective. It makes me wonder why It even wanted the damn spot in the first place, I mean isn't it somewhat obvious that being a chief may involve a slight bit more (gasp!) work? Its interaction with the rest of the residents is slim to none and I really just want to go out and slash Its tires more and more every day. Thankfully, It is on Its way out and we can all just put this year to rest.

I need more coffee.

tough deal - as a nice follow-up to bring it back to the original point, what can residents do about a crappy chief? is there recourse with the program director and/or the department chair? can a chief be ousted for doing an uber-crappy job? could someone within a program at least try and warn people at programs that said crappy chief is looking for fellowships that they suck? for all the talk about becoming chief, i've never really heard anything about ways to make sure that they do a good job - are such safeguards in place?

It is the most self-centered, self-serving, whiny bratty child on the planet. It says what It thinks everyone wants to hear, but is grossly ineffective. It makes me wonder why It even wanted the damn spot in the first place, I mean isn't it somewhat obvious that being a chief may involve a slight bit more (gasp!) work? Its interaction with the rest of the residents is slim to none and I really just want to go out and slash Its tires more and more every day. Thankfully, It is on Its way out and we can all just put this year to rest.

itt01.jpg

Itt is sad.

Crap! I would have liked to see the comments at the top of this thread. The program is on my VERY short list at the moment. Hoping concerns will be PM's to me.

Judd

could someone within a program at least try and warn people at programs that said crappy chief is looking for fellowships that they suck?

Why on earth would we warn you our chief sucks? We want you to take this person away so they don't go to fellowship at our program. I'm serious, we have an outgoing chief at our program who half the department hates. We are so happy this person is going away for fellowship.

Why on earth would we warn you our chief sucks? We want you to take this person away so they don't go to fellowship at our program. I'm serious, we have an outgoing chief at our program who half the department hates. We are so happy this person is going away for fellowship.

why not warn the next program that he sucks, and then not take him yourselves either? fellowships are not a guarantee, and if someone does a sucky job then they don't deserve a fellowship just for completing a residency.

why not warn the next program that he sucks, and then not take him yourselves either? fellowships are not a guarantee, and if someone does a sucky job then they don't deserve a fellowship just for completing a residency.

Programs care though that their residents get good fellowships, so that they can use that to recruit. Even if the person is a total pill, if they don't get any fellowships (and they wanted one) after leaving the program, it reflects poorly on the program as well.

i see the point you guys are making - you don't want to cut your nose to spite you face. it just stinks that the best way to deal with a crappy resident is to try and pawn them off onto another program.

Yes. That's where things get really interesting.

We can construct any amount of standardized examinations to screen medical students and graduates, but the truth of the matter is we're still no better at weeding out the people no one wants to work with.

EUA, would you be chief at your program just to prevent another episode like the current one?

It's not always about sucking. You can be super bright and do all your work and still be intolerable.

It's not always about sucking. You can be super bright and do all your work and still be intolerable.

of course you're right - i used the term "suck" in the all-encompassing sense of the world. someone can be sucky to work with for a range of reasons: lazy, stupid, rude, annoying, and many others.