Thin lens equation for mirrors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheeezcake

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if its normal to ask content questions here but im gonna go for it.

1. I was wondering if the thin lens equation be used for mirrors (convex and concave)?

2. Can it be used in all situations without messing you up on the MCAT? Such as different object positions.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you always plug in the correct value for f (+# for converging and -# for diverging), it will work for all symmetric lenses and spherical mirrors you will see on the MCAT.

However it is FAR, FAR, FAR easier to use the shortcut approach outlined on pages 190-192. The examples on pages 193-199 show how you can quickly answer any single mirror or single lens question in 15 seconds or less.

Reactions: 1 user
@BerkReviewTeach, I have to say thank you for how amazing your tricks such as the one for lenses and mirrors are. I can't thank TBR enough for how simple you made the sciences, particularly physics and chemistry. Your methods are pure gold and seriously the biggest reason I nailed the C/P and B/B sections of the exam as well as I did.

@BerkReviewTeach, I have to say thank you for how amazing your tricks such as the one for lenses and mirrors are. I can't thank TBR enough for how simple you made the sciences, particularly physics and chemistry. Your methods are pure gold and seriously the biggest reason I nailed the C/P and B/B sections of the exam as well as I did.

I’m crossing my finger you made notes of this and are willing to share !!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I made notes in my books as I was doing the problems but I'm not into making lists and summary sheets. They label their tricks for you in the margins. You'll get them all going through their books.