Things I learn from my peers...

Started by keiki
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

keiki

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If there's a fire alarm during the middle of your Pharmacokinetics final and the class has to evacuate, don't discuss the answers in front of the professor... or even the dean.

I'M SOOOOO MAD. Because some students decided it was OK to cheat and do it blatantly in front of the higher ups.. we have to have a make up final (all of us) this Saturday at 10am! My flight out of this joint was Saturday at 9:30am!! Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you're gonna CHEAT, at least do it discreetly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😡 (+pissed+ times 1 million)
 
I am sorry to hear that. There was an fire alarm in our school last year while we took the final too. WHile waiting outside, the guy from my class trying to discuss with me about the test. I immediately told him that:" the test means to test your own knowledge. It wouldn?t call the test if you get the answer from somebody else's brain?. He was shock and never talked to me again. Speaking of cheating, it is my hot button. I don't like people who cheat in school and I would never put up with any forms of cheating.

Good luck with your finals
 
So much cheating went on (during my years in undergrad). Everyone would have hookups to old exams and old lab worksheets and notebooks. Those people would ace their classes and are gona eventually apply to dental, med, pharm schools etc , and what sucks is that theyll even GET IN. 😱 grr while people like me struggle to make the same grades as them. no one said life is fair i guess. im sorry to hear what happened keiki!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
update...

So, apparently after the Dean's inbox got flooded with angry emails, they reply with a 'solution...'

We can either take it Saturday at 10am like they originally said, OR September (yes I said SEPTEMBER) 3. HOWEVER, if you take it Sept 3, you're not allowed to take Pharmacokinetics II during the summer. Um, that would be me, and half my class that signed up to take it during the summer.

So, that STILL doesn't solve my issue! I'm still having to shell out $100 to change my flight!!! Practically 1/3 of my class is from CA, so a ton of us are having to unnecesarily pay more money for changing our flights!!

All you aspiring JD's out there.. isn't there someway that we (aka poor students) can get our money back?? It's more the principle than anything... it wasn't even our fault (the cheaters are to blame!!).

They didn't even announce our finals schedule til the 3rd week in April.. helloooooo.. if they wanted us to hold off on making travel arrangements, WHY did they wait til 2-3 weeks prior to the last day of school to post of the finals schedule?? That makes no sense at all. By then, all the flights out to California would probably cost a fortune! We all went by what was in our student handbooks/schedule, which clearly stated that Friday May 7 was the last day of finals!!!!!!!!!! 😡

I'm sorry.. I needed to get it all out... tomorrow is SUPPOSED to be my last final... not anymore. i'm out $100 and I have to get home later and I have to suffer in finals hell until Saturday...
 
LegaLDeaLer said:
So much cheating went on (during my years in undergrad). Everyone would have hookups to old exams and old lab worksheets and notebooks. Those people would ace their classes and are gona eventually apply to dental, med, pharm schools etc , and what sucks is that theyll even GET IN. 😱 grr while people like me struggle to make the same grades as them.

I wouldn't call this cheating. Tests and notes from previous students are a valid source of information. If an instructor uses a test over and over again then that is a poor reflection on his/her abilities and motive to teach. It is a different story if the material had been stolen from the school, but if a student wants to share his/her notes...no harm no foul.
 
imperial frog said:
I wouldn't call this cheating. Tests and notes from previous students are a valid source of information. If an instructor uses a test over and over again then that is a poor reflection on his/her abilities and motive to teach. It is a different story if the material had been stolen from the school, but if a student wants to share his/her notes...no harm no foul.


i dont know what u consider cheating, but what i was talking about was for example, in genetics, our professor would NoT give back the graded exam. basically some of the students who had taken it previously would take pictures of the exam whiiLE taking it, and then type up the questions at home, and that would circulate around campus...those people who took the class the following semester and were able to obtain those copies had it easy (because the prof would use the same exam), while those who didnt had to study their butt off to pass. now isn;t that an unfair advantage
 
LegaLDeaLer said:
i dont know what u consider cheating, but what i was talking about was for example, in genetics, our professor would NoT give back the graded exam. basically some of the students who had taken it previously would take pictures of the exam whiiLE taking it, and then type up the questions at home, and that would circulate around campus...those people who took the class the following semester and were able to obtain those copies had it easy (because the prof would use the same exam), while those who didnt had to study their butt off to pass. now isn;t that an unfair advantage
That would be considered cheating! Any exam an instructor gives back to students is fair game for students to use in subsequent semesters. If the instructor does not return exams, then taking a picture of it is obviously unethical.
 
I would agree that in that situation it would be cheating. Doing a test dump wouldn't be.
 
imperial frog said:
I would agree that in that situation it would be cheating. Doing a test dump wouldn't be.
Do you mean writing down questions you remember after an exam?
 
keiki said:
update...

So, apparently after the Dean's inbox got flooded with angry emails, they reply with a 'solution...'

We can either take it Saturday at 10am like they originally said, OR September (yes I said SEPTEMBER) 3. HOWEVER, if you take it Sept 3, you're not allowed to take Pharmacokinetics II during the summer. Um, that would be me, and half my class that signed up to take it during the summer.

So, that STILL doesn't solve my issue! I'm still having to shell out $100 to change my flight!!! Practically 1/3 of my class is from CA, so a ton of us are having to unnecesarily pay more money for changing our flights!!

All you aspiring JD's out there.. isn't there someway that we (aka poor students) can get our money back?? It's more the principle than anything... it wasn't even our fault (the cheaters are to blame!!).

They didn't even announce our finals schedule til the 3rd week in April.. helloooooo.. if they wanted us to hold off on making travel arrangements, WHY did they wait til 2-3 weeks prior to the last day of school to post of the finals schedule?? That makes no sense at all. By then, all the flights out to California would probably cost a fortune! We all went by what was in our student handbooks/schedule, which clearly stated that Friday May 7 was the last day of finals!!!!!!!!!! 😡

I'm sorry.. I needed to get it all out... tomorrow is SUPPOSED to be my last final... not anymore. i'm out $100 and I have to get home later and I have to suffer in finals hell until Saturday...

I'm sorry! +pissed+ I hate cheaters too. They're the reason my undergrad Uni. has lost all credibility. There were a couple of notorious cheaters who went into a professor's office, erased two names from the tests and replaced them with their own, and then put the tests back in the stack on his desk. The reason they got caught was bc the professor had the tests in alphabetical order and also, "hello!" the handwriting didn't match. But in the end the proffessor was reprimanded by the dean of the College of science for disciplining them. 😕 They were not kicked out of school as everyone would have liked.