Things I should change??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nalsjewels

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering, if I need to reapply next year, what are things I should change about my application? I am a California resident from a very small rural town who graduated from undergrad in 2015 from a top 10 school and applied this cycle. So far I only have one II and lots of rejections/silences.

1800+ hours of working as an EMT-B with my university's 911 service
120 hours of doing clinical hours in the ED, peds ED and maternity word as part of the clinical requirements of the EMT-Intermediate course, working alongside physicians and nurses: took pt histories, vital signs, IV's, med admins, etc)
1 yr of working in the Middle East as high school science teacher for disadvantaged/displaced communities
1 yr volunteering with locally resettled refugees, teaching English and helping them settle into their new communities
Two summers in the Middle East interning with development/human rights NGOs
3 years working in biology research lab but no publications
2 years working on research project concerned with refugee health issues, paper currently in progress with a professor and fellow student and completed extensive field work with health related NGOs

My cGPA is 3.61 and MCAT is 510. My undergrad sGPA is a 3.45, with a strong upward trend during my last 2 years. I completed 6 post bacc courses in physics and advanced bio courses at my local university (UCSD) and received A's in all those courses.
(I had a C+ in Ochem 1 and a B- in inorganic chem 2, but there was significant personal challenges I had to overcome, as described in my personal statement. My personal statement was read over by several people, all said it was very strong)

I know I submitted my application on the later side (AMCAS verified Aug 25, secondaries submitted from September-end of October).

My school list:

II:
Iowa (Carver)

hold (pre II):
GW

Secondary Submitted/waiting for II:
UVM (they said I'm in the small pool)
UCSD
UC Riverside
UC Irvine
Tufts
Minnesota
Einstein
Jefferson
Rosalind Franklin
Emory
Brown
Dartmouth (Geisel)
University of Maryland
Duke
V Tech
U of Colorado

rejected:
Tulane
BU
UC Davis
Wake Forest
Pitt
UCSF
USC
UCLA/Drew

If I end up having to reapply, what are areas of my application to improve? The premed advisor at my university is new so I am not sure how much much weight I should give her advice. She said I should do something clinical since I haven't done anything clinical since I graduated, apply day 1 and pre-write my secondaries to make them better. Is there anything else I should be thinking about? Rethink my list of schools? Retake the MCAT (I am confident my score could be better based on practice tests)? Any advice appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

what is your breakdown of the 510? and what do your lors look like?

I'd recommend:
- throwing in some shadowing experience despite many EMT clinical exposure hours.
- absolutely applying day 1.
- potentially throwing in additional healthcare-related volunteering or general volunteering in the states (it seems yours are mostly overseas, which isn't a bad thing but since we're talking about things to add).
- getting more people to critique and give you feedback for your personal statement and secondaries.
- making sure your secondary turnaround time is a few days.
- adding some schools in the lower tiered region.

Ok thanks for your input, I hadn't thought about adding healthcare volunteer hours in the US. Gotta ease up on that expat bug :p

My breakdown is 127 127 129 127.

I am pretty sure my LORs are good. An advisor I am close with wrote my committee letter and I have LORs from my two research advisors (in both the biological sciences and anthropology) and I know wrote great ones. I also have one from my professor who I was working with to develop the university refugee tutoring program and my anatomy/physiology professor...that's the only one I think could be a little generic, however he still knows me decently well.

Would it be advisable to do more clinical work besides the shadowing?

And any lower tier schools in particular?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have actual shadowing experiences? Non-job related I mean.