Things to do before med school starts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuizzicalNM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted after a lot of rejections to a local Medical School, from what I've read it's highly recommended I take the summer to enjoy before the rigors of medical school starts. But somewhere between the 50th rerun of Family Guy and cooking the newest recipe, I seem to have lost my interest. So I ask, what would you recommend I do at this point. I considered learning other language, but there aren't any classes nearby.

I would like to hear from current Med Students, about things, they would recommend doing in break. P.S. I am a few months away before anyone has a serious discussion about housing.

Members don't see this ad.

Every med student I've hung out with while shadowing (majority are 3rd/4th years) have told me to go travel while I still have the time during my gap year... so if you haven't been able to travel outside of the country, I'd probably recommend you take off at least a month or so to do that. The ones that didn't travel have also told me that's their biggest regret . The doctors told me the exact same thing, and even specifically mentioned to not have money be an issue about it, loans will always be there, but the opportunity to travel while still young won't be.

So from all those docs/residents/students who all seem stress it, it seems traveling's a pretty big deal! Congratulations btw!

Reactions: 1 user
I would expect you'd get bored seeing as it's only February. Are you thinking ahead for summer or are you out of school and just waiting right now? Travel is a good idea if you can afford it - or get a job? Perhaps you could work for a couple months and save up the money to travel too... Then quit a couple of months before school starts, take your trip, relax, etc before ya head off to school.

Members don't see this ad :)
The euro is pretty low right now. That's all I'm gonna say.

I've been accepted after a lot of rejections to a local Medical School, from what I've read it's highly recommended I take the summer to enjoy before the rigors of medical school starts. But somewhere between the 50th rerun of Family Guy and cooking the newest recipe, I seem to have lost my interest. So I ask, what would you recommend I do at this point. I considered learning other language, but there aren't any classes nearby.

I would like to hear from current Med Students, about things, they would recommend doing in break. P.S. I am a few months away before anyone has a serious discussion about housing.

Work out and start eating healthy. It's very easy to stop doing those 2 things when school starts. I would try to get in the best shape of your life before school starts because it only gets harder from here on out

On days with nice weather, spend plenty of time outside. One thing that sucks about med school is having to study for exams all day when the weather is perfect.

Also, gym and Netflix.