Things to do before residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emhopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if any residents/attendings have advice for those that have matched about their first year. Is there anything I should do before it all starts now that medical school is done to make sure I am prepared? Any advice on what to expect first year or what 'I wish I had done' type items. Get started early on a research project? Read this? Are their forums for residents? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

emhopeful said:
I'm wondering if any residents/attendings have advice for those that have matched about their first year. Is there anything I should do before it all starts now that medical school is done to make sure I am prepared? Any advice on what to expect first year or what 'I wish I had done' type items. Get started early on a research project? Read this? Are their forums for residents? Thank you
you are already prepared. you graduated medical school. now enjoy your last long vacation in your life before retirement.

don't read.

i basically drank, played video games, and rented all the movies i wish i had seen.

don't read.

Go out with your med school buds because you will never see them again. take lots of pictures of them, too.

don't read.

go on a trip somewhere that is hard to go on in less than a week. during residency you likely won't get two weeks off in a row, so now is the time to go to europe or antarctica or Brunei.

don't read. anything medically related anyways.

Q

QuinnNSU said:
Go out with your med school buds because you will never see them again. take lots of pictures of them, too.

don't read.

Q

This should be bolded, highlighted, italicized, underlinded and stamped on your forehead.

Members don't see this ad :)
edinOH said:
This should be bolded, highlighted, italicized, underlinded and stamped on your forehead.

unless you are a cyclops. you are as prepared or unprepared as you are gonna be. Go make some memories that will cheer you up in about 8 months.

go to as many chicago cubs games as possible... that is, if you live in chicago.

So what your saying is I should read?

Reactions: 1 user