Things to know before working as tech

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DagS132

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title states. Is there anything I should work on before I start training as a tech? I have just been reviewing everything I went over when I was studying for the PTCE and trying to look up any videos related to working as pharmacy technician. I want to meet all expectations and excel. Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Try to balance counting accurately and quickly. It's better to take a couple extra seconds than to wonder "Did that bottle of Gabapentin REALLY have 180 capsules in it?" With time you'll get faster. Also don't count on your hands. Ew.

Memorizing suffixes is 10x easier than memorizing every little brand/generic. (For instance, -olol is usually a beta blocker and they are usually indicated for heart conditions/hbp). Of course, you should do this to establish a foundation for memorizing the top 200, in the future.

Memorize the basic indications for the top 200, as well.

Put X's on open stock bottles (it really depends if your other techs do this, it makes everyone's lives easier if they do)

Insulin is always in the fridge, and the fridge should always be between 36*F and 46*F (you probably wont need to know that last one, but I like to check the temp occasionally to prevent us from magically losing all of our stock haha)

If your store is slow, like mine, there will be times when there isn't much to do. Just be on the lookout always for anything that can be done/tidied up/organized (within reason).

Most importantly, just be observant. Experience is the best instructor. Take notes if you have to. And best of luck to you!

Thanks for the tips! And what do you mean the basic indications for the top 200? Are you talking about their functions?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the tips! And what do you mean the basic indications for the top 200? Are you talking about their functions?
Sorry, I should have specified. Drugs have indications which is simply what they are meant to treat. For instance Lisinopril is indicated for high blood pressure. A lot of drugs have more than one indication, just try to remember the big ones. There is also contraindications which is when a drug interferes with food, a condition, or another drug. Most oral contraceptives are contraindicated with smoking, statins are contraindicated with consumption of grapefruit/grapefruit juice, etc. You'll get the hang of a lot of it with experience. Best of luck!

Just know you'll be busting your a** for little pay and doing most of the work, not to mention dealing with a**hole customers and possibly coworkers who are incompetent.

Reactions: 1 user
Just know you'll be busting your a** for little pay and doing most of the work, not to mention dealing with a**hole customers and possibly coworkers who are incompetent.
I can't wait!