Things to not say in your interview.

Started by Jeddevil
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jeddevil

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have heard these are recent things said in interviews here at my school.

When the interviewers ask you "Why did you choose to pursue Pharmacy?", DON'T answer the following: "I wanted to be an optometrist but I couldn't get into school." or "I flunked out of Dental school."

Do people that say these things really want to get into pharmacy school, because saying pharmacy is second fiddle is never going to get you in. Learn to say what they want to hear. It is that simple.

Anybody out there heard of any more interview comments that made you go, HMMM?
 
I worked with an interviewer for U of Maryland and she said that one of the worst answers to the question of why do you want to be a pharmacist included, "I've been a tech for years, so I just thought that being a pharmacist would be a logical choice."
 
I've heard about the "pharmacy was a backup" answer too. I've also heard some pharmacy students say that when asked "What made you go into pharmacy?" you shouldn't say "Oh because my dad/mom/other family member was a pharmacist."

I was initially inspired by my father - I would've never known what pharmacy was all about unless I watched him and helped him work at his independent community pharmacy and experience him being involved in professional pharmacy organizations. :laugh: Oh well..

Anybody else heard of this one? I wonder if it would be acceptable if you explained yourself as I did above.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jeddevil said:
I have heard these are recent things said in interviews here at my school.

When the interviewers ask you "Why did you choose to pursue Pharmacy?", DON'T answer the following: "I wanted to be an optometrist but I couldn't get into school." or "I flunked out of Dental school."

Do people that say these things really want to get into pharmacy school, because saying pharmacy is second fiddle is never going to get you in. Learn to say what they want to hear. It is that simple.

Anybody out there heard of any more interview comments that made you go, HMMM?

I want to be close to the Oxycontin
 
ethyl said:
"I want to be able to sell my s**** without driving up to the 7/11 and droppin bags of to some foo. I'm sick of the popo breathin down my neck."


:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
 
"Druuuuuuuuuugs" (followed by maniacal cackling)
"Pharmacists get payed a ridiculous amount for not much work...don't they?"
"I heard pharmacy school was really good for 'hooking up'"
"I won't be able to wear white at my wedding, so I figured it was a fair trade off"
"If patients can't see behind the counter, you don't have to wear pants, right?"

And the one I actually *have* heard:

(Referring to the weather, but just within earshot of the interviewing committee)
"Does it always suck this much here?"

😀 😉
 
I chose to pursue the career of pharmacy because:

buying narcotics on the street costs three times as much.

I can possibly hook up with the pharmacy technicians.

when i get sick, I don't even have to go to the doctor.

and my dad was a pharmacy.
 
ahahahaah - i meant pharmacist, guys!!! :laugh: I was up way too early in the morning to think!
 
"I want to be a pharmacist because the drugs come in so many pretty colors"
 
One person brought their husband to the interview...
all he did was just critic everyone else!
 
NYCillini said:
One person brought their husband to the interview...
all he did was just critic everyone else!

There was a woman in a few of my pre-req classes who would always bring not only her ten-year-old to class, but also their pet squirrel! I wouldn't put it past her to take them both to her interview 😱
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My best friend in pharmacy school admitted to me when the interviewers asked her "Tell me about your creativity" (same question I got) she stared out the window for 2 minutes in silence and then looked him straignt in the eye and said, "Honestly, I have none."

Obviously she made it in :laugh:
 
crying moo said:
My best friend in pharmacy school admitted to me when the interviewers asked her "Tell me about your creativity" (same question I got) she stared out the window for 2 minutes in silence and then looked him straignt in the eye and said, "Honestly, I have none."

Obviously she made it in :laugh:

That is hillarious. :laugh:

I would've said "mango."

Do you think that would have been appropriate?
 
the 65:35 women : men ratio. 😍

KIDDING! Don't tell my gf! =D (she reads these boards, so no worries ^_^ )
 
Me want MONEY.

Me want fancy bmw and husband that makes a lot of money too.

Did i mention i hate all the damn commies who want socialized medicine.

^the above might freak them out; trust me 😉
 
I just had an interview last Friday, so I have a few of them considering we were interviewed as a group.

::In [my country] we "was" so poor we couldn't afford drugs, they gave us an orange instead. That's why I want to become a pharmacist, to give to those who can't afford it....The response from the Dean, "good! oranges are high in Vit C"

:😛eople go to Canada to buy drugs because they're not happy. They will be happy if the prices are lower, but they're not here. Plus, pharmacists can't keep track of their medications, and that is bad.

:🙁I joined in the foolery and said this piece of genius...) Canadians enjoy cheaper drugs because the gub'ment carries a big stick and punks the drug companies into lower prices, or they will regulate their azz. j/k
 
In all seriousness, except for some just plain "bad idea" answers ($$$, I couldn't get into ____, and it's easier than____), you can give - and sell - any answer as long as it's honest.

I told every single one of my interviewers that, when I'm working in a pharmacy environment, that I feel like I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be and doing what I'm supposed to be doing. It may sound dorky and it wouldn't work for everyone, but It was *my* honest answer - and that's what came through to the admissions committee. (And it worked...nine times)
 
I was asked to describe the qualities I admire most in my best friend. I thought of saying "I don't have any friends," but I decided they wouldn't have thought I was very funny. :laugh: