Things You do to avoid writing your Personal Statement!?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zepplinfan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I've been trying to write my Personal Statement for the last 4 days........well more like nights.

Instead, I have:

1. Watched every episode of Scrubs (season 1 - 3). Damn, that Elliot chick shoulda been a nurse >>>>> refer to episode where she is dressed as a nurse in a dream.

2. Rented Ninja Gaiden (just came out) and have been battling ninjas, cyborgs, and every other creature possible (I am still in the city).

3. Researched waaayyy too much for my SDN Fantasy Baseball draft next week. You better be ready..........I have a cheat sheet down to the 1000th, pick.

4. Checked all over the internet on how to write a personal statement. My conclusion, the internet truly lacks any useful information ......... except for SDN of course.

5. Asked practically everyone I know if they'll go over my PS <<<< yah, no kidding.

What the heck could I think of next, how bout starting this thread. Anyways, if anyone feels like giving me a good swift kick in teh a$$, or ANOTHER way of screwing off..........let's just say I would love wasting my time reading it.

~ Zep

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've been told, writing the PS is much easier if you have the wisdom of a bottle of liquor to help you. I have yet to try this because I have a long list of things to do in order to avoid the PS.

In all seriousness, you should avoid outright stating that you love to help people or that you are a leader etc... You should write your PS such that you are using your personal experiences and extracurriculars to indirectly confirm that you love helping people etc...As a result, your PS will not be BORING and mundane. Also, I would start off with a story...I think its a great way to catch the reader's atention...That's just my .02indirectly

Members don't see this ad :)
This helped me tremendously last year:

6. Critique OTHER people's Personal Statements (i.e. here on SDN). That way you understand that EVERYBODY writes the same thing and that your "unique" idea really isn't that unique.

Procrastination is a beautiful thing. An art in fact. I mean, it really is remarkable how many things just need to get done when you have something else you should be doing. ;)