Things You do to avoid writing your Personal Statement!?!

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

zepplinfan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2003
CT
Status (Visible)
Alright, I've been trying to write my Personal Statement for the last 4 days........well more like nights.

Instead, I have:

1. Watched every episode of Scrubs (season 1 - 3). Damn, that Elliot chick shoulda been a nurse >>>>> refer to episode where she is dressed as a nurse in a dream.

2. Rented Ninja Gaiden (just came out) and have been battling ninjas, cyborgs, and every other creature possible (I am still in the city).

3. Researched waaayyy too much for my SDN Fantasy Baseball draft next week. You better be ready..........I have a cheat sheet down to the 1000th, pick.

4. Checked all over the internet on how to write a personal statement. My conclusion, the internet truly lacks any useful information ......... except for SDN of course.

5. Asked practically everyone I know if they'll go over my PS <<<< yah, no kidding.

What the heck could I think of next, how bout starting this thread. Anyways, if anyone feels like giving me a good swift kick in teh a$$, or ANOTHER way of screwing off..........let's just say I would love wasting my time reading it.

~ Zep

irie

royale with cheese
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 21, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
From what I've been told, writing the PS is much easier if you have the wisdom of a bottle of liquor to help you. I have yet to try this because I have a long list of things to do in order to avoid the PS.

pjr28

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2003
Status (Visible)
In all seriousness, you should avoid outright stating that you love to help people or that you are a leader etc... You should write your PS such that you are using your personal experiences and extracurriculars to indirectly confirm that you love helping people etc...As a result, your PS will not be BORING and mundane. Also, I would start off with a story...I think its a great way to catch the reader's atention...That's just my .02indirectly

About the Ads

soonerpillow

Dime-a-dozen schmuck
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2003
Oklahoma City, OK
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
This helped me tremendously last year:

6. Critique OTHER people's Personal Statements (i.e. here on SDN). That way you understand that EVERYBODY writes the same thing and that your "unique" idea really isn't that unique.

Wahooali

The Real Sydney Bristow
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Status (Visible)
Procrastination is a beautiful thing. An art in fact. I mean, it really is remarkable how many things just need to get done when you have something else you should be doing. ;)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.