Things you want on a Dental School Resume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDientes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am close to starting my first year of D-School. I am not sure if I want to specialize or not yet since I haven't really been exposed too much more then just shadowing, but I would like to keep my options open just in case I do like a certain part of dentistry more than others.

I wanted to know from graduates and dentists, what were some things that you should try to be involved in that would be great on your resume for when you graduate if you want to specialize or just get a job. I know research is important, but research isn't for everyone. What are other activities I can be part of? I mean would a future employer or a specialty program really care that I was class secretary or president? Would they want to see involvement with ADA, ADEA, or CDA? What are things that will truly be helpful to me in the future?

I thought maybe The hammer and other dentists who post on here often might have some insight on this....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's not the activity so much as it is the level of involvement and committment. Most people still don't seem to understand that all a laundry list of accomplishments does is show that you can be busy. But a research presentation/publication, or serving as ASDA or Class President demonstrates leadership -- always a valuable trait in any applicant. I would recommend focusing on school -- get good grades, get to know your faculty, score high on the boards, and spend time in your school's PG departments. Then pick one or two activities that you're interested in and go as far as you can with them.

Oh ok, what kind of activities were you involved in while you were in school?

Members don't see this ad :)
To get a job as a GP in an average practice:

Good grades / rank = Shows you're not lazy and are a hard worker
Board scores = Don't mean a thing
Frats = Don't mean a thing (unless you were very active and applying for a job with a member who takes frats very serious, which is quite rare)
Research = Don't mean a thing
A nice personable person = Very important, means the whole world
Skills = Good at endo / pedo

To get a job as a GP in a high-end practice:

Same as above but add:

Research / Publications = Meaningful publications is good marketing as "an expert in field" etc.
Awards = Important in marketing as well, especially cosmetic dentistry awards
Skills = Best in class in composites, bonded restorations, cosmetics, hand skills

----------------

Most importantly, the #1 thing is that you interview well, you are a clean looking, nice person who cares about patients will get you a good job. To get that job, you also have to show that you are committed to an area and want to stay a long time (or plan on buying).

All those other resume fluff's are important to post-grad stuff, but for practice right out of school, they generally mean absolutely nothing.

What about GPR/AEGD? Do the emphasis on the same things as a specialty residency except at a lower caliber?

I'm interested in hearing more discussion on this topic. What's important for a competitive residency like OMFS or Endo?

I'm interested in hearing more discussion on this topic. What's important for a competitive residency like OMFS or Endo?

At my school you pretty much have to go out and either practice for a year or go to a GPR/AEGD program to get into endo.