Quantcast

Things you wish you did before MS I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flack Pinku

U lookin at my glasses??
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
After you got into med school, what did you guys do (AFTER you guys sobered up)?

Other than relaxing and taking it easy, were there things you did (or wish you did) in terms of preparation for first year of med school, procedural things or academic, to ease the transition?

A.D.O.R.

Acronym Lover
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wish I had:

1) Learned how to cook. Cooking my own food, instead of eating out so much, would really help me stay within my monthly budget.
2) Taken an anatomy and/or physiology class. I don't feel overwhelmed or screwed but taking these classes would make my life that much easier and give me more time to explore the city.

ispic

Get there!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by A.D.O.R.
I wish I had:

1) Learned how to cook. Such a skill would really help me stay within my monthly budget.
2) Taken an anatomy and/or physiology class. I don't feel overwhelmed or screwed but taking these classes would make my life that much easier and give me more time to explore the city.

Hi,

I can cook, :laugh: but a Physiology class would really have been helpful. Biochem here is taught from the perspective of a beginner, and taking Pysio would definitely have given me a more heads up on things :rolleyes:

Carbon

I saved your life.
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Discovered the secret to forming a sleep bank, then filled it up with months of sleep so I could just cash in on it now and not have to sleep.

:D

emedCleo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Learned to surf...
the ocean, not the web.

Now don't have the time to take lessons. Promised myself I will when I have time again.

cleo

normalforce

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wish that I would have stayed in my undergrad college town and just worked and partied for a year. I had a friend that did that while I was going to school. Safe to say, he can die a happy, happy man.

merlin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i wished i had really taken the year off and done as much as i could that was not even close to medically related. learned another language, travelled (well i did 5 months of this), did some writing and art...basically really worked on developing that part of the brain that is going to start atrophying in medical school.

Lara

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Travelled. Especially to Europe. :(

Skip Intro

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did everything I wanted to before MS-I. Of course, I worked for about 9 years after college, traveled, had a lot of girlfriends, partied, etc. So, I got all of my wanderlust out of the system. I'm glad I went the route I did. I'm not sure I would have made it straight out of college (not that I had any idea that I'd become a doctor coming straight out of college).

If you get too burnt, take your MS-IV year off. A buddy of mine did that and he turned out just fine. He's raking in the dough right now (not that that's particularly important to me nor why I wanted to become a doctor).

-Skip

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although a current MS-II, one thing I would have done prior to medical school is take more advantage of free time and learn to appreciate it.

I can honestly say now that I don't know what "free" time is, really.

Classes and soon to be studying for boards...just gets harder.

The Generalist

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm happy to say I did everything I "wished I could do before MS-1".

My advice: go to your local library and one by one, pick up/read all the non-medical books that have interested you. Whether they be literary classics, non-fiction, whatever, this is one of the few times you'll be able to read for pleasure EVER AGAIN!

If you can't afford a fancy vacation like other suggest, do nothing. Literally, wake up at noon, watch soap operas and home shopping all afternoon in your PJ's with a bag of fritos on your belly! :D

lola

Bovine Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i would have spent more time living abroad.
i took six years off, and i was lucky to do a lot of travelling and having fun during those six years!

ivyleague22ny

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are things I did after asking others the same question when I was in your shoes, so I wouldn't say, "i wish i did this."

If you've never taken any human anatomy course
before, I'd suggest that you just lightly review
basic anatomical terms like articulation, a nerve "coursing medially" as suppose to "piercing through this muscle", superior/inferior, abduct/adduct, inversion/eversion, sagittal, coronal, etc., since the professor may start using these terms without explaining them. But at the same time, you don't have to obsess over learning everything in Netter's before you start classes. If the notes are available over the web, maybe just download the first lecture or two so you have an idea of what will be discussed.

Just as long as you had a chance to preview the lecture/lab
material in Netter's before each class, you should be fine. I just finished an intense 7 week course of gross anatomy and I found it very helpful to photocopy the lecture notes and study them in with the cadaver next to you so you can visually see the origins and insertions, the course of vessels & nerves, etc. it also saves time since you're studying for both the practical & written at the same time....believe me, the bodies are usually A LOT different than what you see on Netter's or Rohen's atlas, esp. for the Head & Neck region.

Also, I love reading books on various non-medical subject matters, so before school starts...read up on whatever interests you (investment portfolios, politics, the arts, music, celebrity gossip, etc.)

Also, make sure you incorporate a regular routine of exercise before medical school so you'll make it a habit even during med school.....believe me even when you're tired, working out or cardio is MUCH BETTER at giving you energy than coffee.

good luck!

Univ. of Minnesota Class of 2007

::Seabass::

bringing burkas back!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by The Generalist
I'm happy to say I did everything I "wished I could do before MS-1".

My advice: go to your local library and one by one, pick up/read all the non-medical books that have interested you. Whether they be literary classics, non-fiction, whatever, this is one of the few times you'll be able to read for pleasure EVER AGAIN!

If you can't afford a fancy vacation like other suggest, do nothing. Literally, wake up at noon, watch soap operas and home shopping all afternoon in your PJ's with a bag of fritos on your belly! :D
the generalist is absolutely right, if you love to read, READ NOW!

it took me two extra years after to college to finish some prereqs and interview and I'm SO glad I took that time off. at first I felt behind, but the people who seem to handle the stress and the endless studying in my class the best seem to be those who have had a real job and experiences the 'real world' (not to say that those that go straight through can't succeed but a lot of time you can easily pick out those who took time off and those who didnt)

I quit work 3 months earlier than I had to, traveled in Europe for almost 2 months and spend the rest with my family. some people work more to save more money, but by the time you have more money to spend, you won't have 2 months vacation time etc. so go for it now, you can't buy youth!

GeddyLee

Bad-ass Guitarist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking a year off to just work and party is the right idea. I didn't bother with reading or doing anything related medical school during my year off and it was great! I think I'd be a very burned out fourth year now if I hadn't had that year, and I learned alot just by living a normal kind of life for a while.

uclacrewdude

the uclacrewdude abides
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a pretty fulfilling life prior to going to medical school, esp considering that I went straight from undergrad to med school. That said, only two things I really wish I had the chance to do prior to starting school again:

1) Go to Europe. I'm so uncultured, I really want to go to Prague or Austria or Chico Toro ... I feel like such a hick compared to my friends.

2) Found a black suitcase with loads of money inside, so I can get a friggin car. Having no car sucks!!!!

GoodMonkey

sproutmobile
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
travelled.
i took off ~4years. i worked those 4 years. i wish i would have travelled more.

kaos

Web Crawler
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Lara
Travelled. Especially to Europe. :(

Yeah. I wish I moved to England.

Originally posted by kaos
Yeah. I wish I moved to England.

I moved to England, it?s not all that great/different...

If anyone knows what Queens, NY is like, it?s exactly like that, except all the buildings are older and the streets are more narrow. As for London, it?s just like NYC, except the buildings are shorter and the streets are cleaner...

They don't believe in low fat/non-fat food. Almost everyone is totally football (Soccer) obsessed. It?s almost impossible to get an appointment with a dentist (and yes, most of what is said about British people?s teeth is true)

That's England in a nutshell...

huktonfonix

board certified!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Things I wish I did before MS1.......listen to what other people said and not go into medicine....oh well.