Think I failed comlex pe

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunflower29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am fourth year medical student.
I took the pe on October 27. I am super scared that I failed because I suck at omm. I didn't finish a single note basically I finished the assessment , plan , objective but never the subjective part (such as the family history . I am scared that my physical exam skills were sub par .
So I guess I was wondering what I should do in terms of the interviews and the match . Like I am so scared that I have no idea what to do .
My other scores :
Comlex 1: 553
Comlex 2 ce : 580

usmle 1 : 228
Usmle 2 : 241

Top 1/3 for clinical grades .

Worst case scenario if I failed does this mean I won't match at all ??

Members don't see this ad.

So I am fourth year medical student.
I took the pe on October 27. I am super scared that I failed because I suck at omm. I didn't finish a single note basically I finished the assessment , plan , objective but never the subjective part (such as the family history . I am scared that my physical exam skills were sub par .
So I guess I was wondering what I should do in terms of the interviews and the match . Like I am so scared that I have no idea what to do .
My other scores :
Comlex 1: 553
Comlex 2 ce : 580

usmle 1 : 228
Usmle 2 : 241

Top 1/3 for clinical grades .

Worst case scenario if I failed does this mean I won't match at all ??

Most likely you did not fail. If you did fail, retake and try and get passing results in in time for ranking or at least before you have to communicate with your matched residency and sign the job offer.

I wouldn't mention anything of it on interviews unless asked, and even then I would just say that you took it and are awaiting results. Obviously if you fail and they explicitly ask you about it after you find that out, you should probably be honest, but I would be surprised if you were put in that situation so soon. It may be something some programs ask about when they are ranking you, some won't though, so its very possible you'd match regardless.

Honestly, don't worry about it until the result comes out. If its good news, great! If not, take it in stride and you should be fine regardless.

Reactions: 2 users
The failure isn't necessarily the bad part....the bad part is that a good percentage of programs WILL NOT rank you unless they have a PE result in hand. Meaning for the AOA programs that you have to have a PE result by mid/late January at the latest. It takes 6-8 weeks to get a result...which means that I hope you didn't fail.

I do remember a lot of people saying "I failed. I know I failed." And, they didn't. Remember, pass rate is 96% or something

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am doing the acgme match not the aoa .
Everyone keeps on telling stop worrying you passed but I am still scared.
Our school so far has 97.83% pass rate so I am hoping to be in the same boat .

You must not be at LECOM-B - home of the 84% pass rate :p

But yeah, you should be fine!

Worst Case Scenario: Wouldn't you just retake it in January and then the results would come March 1st-March 10th (that's the usual schedule) and the MD Match Day is 3rd week of March so you are fine....

If you were applying DO match, then it would be a problem. But even then I have heard programs will wait for scores if you scramble into them and they require a passing score before starting residency. Some programs may not rank you but I think it all depends on the program.

What specialty are you applying for?

Most likely, you passed and are just acting crazy.

It's not match day you would be worried about its ROL due date which is feb 24th for programs and applicants. And much earlier for DO I think Jan 22nd. You passed. I worried for two months and was just fine

It's accurate, but to be fair it was only their most recent class. It's not their running average since they opened like 10 years ago. I'm not sure what that average is...
But, I CAN tell you that LECOM-B is solely focused on Step 1/Level 1 and NOTHING else - not clinical skills/exam, not classes, not rotations, not anything but the Step 1. It's the fact they use to justify their existence since they lack other aspects of a medical school (enough faculty, classes, labs, rotations, etc.)

I can't give you a source because there's no way the school is going to publish that data. You can seek out a current 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year student from LECOM-B though and ask them. I'm sure they will corroborate.

It's accurate, but to be fair it was only their most recent class. It's not their running average since they opened like 10 years ago. I'm not sure what that average is...
But, I CAN tell you that LECOM-B is solely focused on Step 1/Level 1 and NOTHING else - not clinical skills/exam, not classes, not rotations, not anything but the Step 1. It's the fact they use to justify their existence since they lack other aspects of a medical school (enough faculty, classes, labs, rotations, etc.)

I can't give you a source because there's no way the school is going to publish that data. You can seek out a current 1st, 2nd, or 3rd year student from LECOM-B though and ask them. I'm sure they will corroborate.

Fair enough. I am at another LECOM campus and had heard rumors to that effect, but no actual numbers. I believe you-- I just find it kind of surprising because we do have classes on clinical skills and such up north, so I was hoping to actually see the info somewhere.

Fair enough. I am at another LECOM campus and had heard rumors to that effect, but no actual numbers. I believe you-- I just find it kind of surprising because we do have classes on clinical skills and such up north, so I was hoping to actually see the info somewhere.

They have "clinical exam" but it's inadequate from what I've heard. Biggest issue is lack of faculty and their mindset being firmly focused on Step 1.

I actually hope that someday COCA will have to merge with the LCME so we can have our DO schools meet minimum standards. To me, it's absurd to have all these branch campuses designed clearly only to make money. It should be a minimum requirement for accreditation to supply ALL of your students BOTH 3rd and 4th year rotations but how many DO schools meet that mark? We need our own version of the Flexner Report and get our stuff together...otherwise we'll never make the strides we want.

Reactions: 1 users
Worst Case Scenario: Wouldn't you just retake it in January and then the results would come March 1st-March 10th (that's the usual schedule) and the MD Match Day is 3rd week of March so you are fine....

If you were applying DO match, then it would be a problem. But even then I have heard programs will wait for scores if you scramble into them and they require a passing score before starting residency. Some programs may not rank you but I think it all depends on the program.

What specialty are you applying for?

Most likely, you passed and are just acting crazy.

I am applying ob/gyn . I am hoping for good news . Thanks for your help !

I passed!! I hope you did too! go deliver babies and bring life into the world:)

Members don't see this ad :)
OB Gyn, yikes. They had no SOAP spots last year, first time in a while.

Not sure you could pay me enough for that lifestyle. Love the work, hate the hours.

OB Gyn, yikes. They had no SOAP spots last year, first time in a while.

Not sure you could pay me enough for that lifestyle. Love the work, hate the hours.
Seems to be a common theme as I ponder future specialities.

Passed !!! Thanks for everyone's kindness !!!

Reactions: 7 users
Can you fail for making spelling mistakes on the SOAP notes?

My guess is if the spelling mistakes are very frequent, it might be part of the SOAP note grade. But if there are a few typos, no big deal. I feel it's unfair for people who don't type fast!

I just came out of the PE yesterday. It's torture to think back to exam day. Especially how I wish I could have just stopped what I was doing NO EXCEPTIONS to deliver the A and P to the patient and ask "Any questions? Any concerns?" I didn't give a proper closure for 3 patients; 2 of them they were lying on the bed in the middle of an OMM treatment before time was called. I don't remember about the third one and why the closure wasn't appropriate; everything yesterday was a blur. I always finished the A and P in my SOAP note but would occasionally fall short on the S and O. Like didn't have time to write allergies, HEENT physical exam, etc (but not like miss the entire section).

During one of the first patients, I wasn't familiar with the gown draping and didn't use the cover when he was lying down and I think he was a bit overexposed/uncomfortable. I learned my lesson from then on...

However, I did make a huge effort to try to be humanistic to all patients. During physical exam, I would ask once in a while "Are you comfortable?" and would also ask if they were lying down "Do you need help getting up?" If I had time to deliver the A and P, I would say "Is that okay with you?" I also tried to explain the plan as simple as possible without any medical jargon. I really pray all these humanistic efforts I mentioned carried a lot of weight and superceded my flaws. :/

Anyone have honest feedback on how you think I did based on what others who pass or failed shared?

I am so SCARED to see my score. Do any passers have horror stories to tell, and still passed? Please share!

I am so SCARED to see my score. Do any passers have horror stories to tell, and still passed? Please share!

Yes, almost everyone has a horror story and almost everyone passes. You are probably fine.

When I took mine, I literally didn't know the OMM for one of the patients. There were 3 OMM stations. I said something to the effect of. rest, ice, NSAID and come back in a week if not improved and I'll have an OMT plan for you.

Result: Passed.

Seriously people, don't freak out, you almost certainly passed the exam.

Do they provide you with extra time for stations where you need to perform OMM?

When I took mine, I literally didn't know the OMM for one of the patients. There were 3 OMM stations. I said something to the effect of. rest, ice, NSAID and come back in a week if not improved and I'll have an OMT plan for you.

Interesting. Do you think it'd be better to do this if we're not 100% sure if we're doing the right technique? Would you be more likely to fail if you did some internal rotation instead of external rotation, or if you did the RICE/come back in a week?

Also, does that mean you finished your patient encounter in like 7-8 minutes, or was there something else you took the time up with?

Interesting. Do you think it'd be better to do this if we're not 100% sure if we're doing the right technique? Would you be more likely to fail if you did some internal rotation instead of external rotation, or if you did the RICE/come back in a week?

Also, does that mean you finished your patient encounter in like 7-8 minutes, or was there something else you took the time up with?

I tried to do OMM, with some counter strain, but was totally making it up (which you can do with counter strain much of the time in real life). Anyway when I asked the patient if his tenderpoint was improving he said it wasn't so I bailed and did my RICE thing.

I could have gotten by with soft tissue most likely but I was so panicked when he said the counter strain wasn't working that I didn't think through other ideas.

I don't know how that was viewed by graders, but obviously not bad enough to cause a failure. Don't take my story as advice, it's just an anecdote.

Old the but currently nervous and this post struck me... Are you saying you essentially didn't do omm on a patient who asked for it? That's pretty much what I did and I'm so nervous.

Old the but currently nervous and this post struck me... Are you saying you essentially didn't do omm on a patient who asked for it? That's pretty much what I did and I'm so nervous.

You're probably fine. No one feels good after leaving and everyone has 12 regrets/things they did "wrong". Almost everyone passes.

Hey I also want to join the club of people who feels absolutely terrible about that exam. Certainly hoping to be proved wrong in ~2 months

Does anyone know if listening on top of the gown would fail you? Didnt realize i hadnt been doing it until i was already done. Feeling terrible.