Think I should retake this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suby

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got a BA/MA with a good GPA (around 3.7) and am taking science pre-reqs at a university. So far, I've gotten A's. But this summer, I had to take general chem at a community college and it's been a disaster. The prof went AWOL, the whole class is struggling and I'm looking at a B.

So, I'm wondering if I should just retake the same class at the university this fall? I'm worried that my general chem foundation is shaky, and frankly, I don't want a B on my transcript at this stage. Think it's worth it to try & offset the community college B with a university A? Or should I take the B and get on with it?

If I don't retake it, the credit transfers to the university, but the grade doesn't. Still, it'll be there if I apply to med school. And how handicapped will I be if I jump into to chem II/organic without a solid base in general chem I?

Members don't see this ad.

The B is on your transcript whether you like it or not. Every course that you take post secondary school has to be reported, community college or university. If you earn a B, it has to be reported.

If you feel that your General Chemistry knowledge is not strong, audit the course at your university and then take the second semester. This beats explaining why you retook a course in which you previously earned a grade of B.

Take the B and get on with it. Get As in the rest of the classes and do well on the MCAT.