thinker vs. do-er??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fun8stuff

*hiding from patients*
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only a pre-M1 (will be starting next august), but EM has caught my interest over the last few years. However, I am beginning to think that I am more of a "thinker", rather than a "do-er". Based on this, am I not cut out to go into EM? I feel I could probably learn to be a "do-er". Would training help in this respect?

The reason I think I am more of a thinker is because in a lot of the lab cases that I have taken in college (my major entails a lot of lab work), I am not the person who always volunteers to be the first to do something. I like to think things out first, but I like doing things once I am good at it.

Any of you guys ever feel like this? What interests me about EM is because I want variety in my job and I do like to work hands on. Obviously, I need more exposure to the field, but I was just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences as me.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Just realize that there is plenty of "thinking" in the ED that is done. Again, since you are still a pre-m1 you might want to spend some time in an ED with an EM doc to get a better handle on things. You'll see this stated over and over that before you start medical school it is very difficult for you to absolutely decide on a career path (EM for example). Many who thought for sure they were going to go into one career change there mind later on.

Just remember there is plenty of thinking in the ED and that every specialty in medicine has its own type of "thinking". IM docs sure do "think" differently about a complaint than an EM doc, but it doesn't mean that either one is right. It's just a personal preference that you are going to have to figure out by being around the different fields during school and clinicals. When you rotate through the ED you'll know whether it is for you or not.

later

I concur. There is definately a lot of 'doing' in the ED. and some of it is route (treatment of acute coronary syndrome) etc, but there is still LOTS of thinking. Its a very different type of thinking than any of the other fields of medicine.

You do need to be able to multitask and you do have to be able to be comfortable thinking on your feet. Both of these are something that can be learned.

I think you will find that the best way to figure out if you like the ED is to spend some time there. It usually becomes RAPIDLY apparant if you like it or not. I have rarely come across someone that was 'medium interest' in EM. Its usually a love it or hate it type of deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
NinerNiner999 said:
You think too much...

haha, thanks guys. I am anxious to get some exposure. At the emergency department that I volunteered at in my home town they pretty much forced me to stay away from the patients and docs... and stick to cleaning the rooms. Hopefully, I will be able to get more experience as a M1.