Thinking about applying the 2024 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puzzles29

Reaction score
GPA: 3.85
Major: Biology
Minority: Asian and Mexican
Reapplicant? No
Have not taken DAT
Nontrad? Yes, currently undergraduate sophomore graduating in May 2025. ( So need to apply this coming cycle if no gap year)
Shadowing Experience: None, planning to get some over winter, spring, and summer break
Volunteering Experience: Only a few hours, hoping to get some more throughout this semester through various clubs
Employment: Currently a part-time dental receptionist at my local office
Research: none, might get some spring semester?
Other Extracurriculars: Pre-Dental Society, Letters of Love club
Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans list all semesters
LOR type and strength: Possibly 1 is very strong and 2 are average
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: Always have loved to embroider
School list:
Minnesota is my #1 (in state resident), then Marquette, then Indiana University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
By this year, do you mean the 2024 cycle? If so, you're in good shape. I would try to get your DAT done sometime in the spring so you have it ready/verified by June 1st. Depending on your DAT score will sorta dictate how many schools you should aim to apply for. So once you have that, you can narrow it down. But until then, we can't give too much advice as the DAT is a pretty big part of your application. Definitely make sure you get some solid volunteer hours. Soup kitchen, Food pantry, homeless shelters are all good places to get you out of your comfort zone.

I'm a current D1 at Minnesota, so if you have any questions about...literally anything (I'm loving UMN), shoot me a DM! Would be more than happy to talk about the school and their application process.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: 3.85
Major: Biology
Minority: Asian and Mexican
Reapplicant? No
Have not taken DAT
Nontrad? Yes, currently undergraduate sophomore graduating in three years. ( So need to apply this coming cycle if no gap year)
Shadowing Experience: None, planning to get some over winter, spring, and summer break
Volunteering Experience: Only a few hours, hoping to get some more throughout this semester through various clubs
Employment: Currently a part-time dental receptionist at my local office
Research: none, might get some spring semester?
Other Extracurriculars: Pre-Dental Society, Letters of Love club
Relevant Honors or Awards: Deans list all semesters
LOR type and strength: Possibly 1is very strong and 2 are average
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: Always have loved to embroider
School list:
Minnesota is my #1 (in state resident), then Marquette, then Indiana University
if you are planning on graduating in three years, you don't have to apply for two years...

Do not rush yourself or believe you can only apply the year before you get your bachelor's degree. Plenty of applicants take gap years; there is no stigma against it.

In what ways do you identify as Mexican and/or Asian?

if you are planning on graduating in three years, you don't have to apply for two years...
Hi sorry if this was not explained clearly. I meant I will be completing my undergrad in three years total, so I am currently in my second of the three years. (Will graduate may 2025)

Hi sorry if this was not explained clearly. I meant I will be completing my undergrad in three years total, so I am currently in my second of the three years. (Will graduate may 2025)
If you apply this cycle you will start dental school in summer/fall 2024 and not be able to finish your bachelor.