Thinking about changing my GRE test date to Nov.-bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PizzaButt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I don't have an advisor to help me with stuff like this (I've been out of school nearly 10 years) so I wondered if someone can help me. I'm registered to take the general GRE in about 2.5 weeks. Because my classes are so difficult this semester, I would like some extra time to study. But if I move my test date to mid-November, will schools still get the scores on time? My deadlines are all around Dec. 20. How exactly does this work--sending scores to schools? Would mid-Nov. be too late to take the GRE and still apply this year? This is my first GRE (general).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I don't have an advisor to help me with stuff like this (I've been out of school nearly 10 years) so I wondered if someone can help me. I'm registered to take the general GRE in about 2.5 weeks. Because my classes are so difficult this semester, I would like some extra time to study. But if I move my test date to mid-November, will schools still get the scores on time? My deadlines are all around Dec. 20. How exactly does this work--sending scores to schools? Would mid-Nov. be too late to take the GRE and still apply this year? This is my first GRE (general).

Thanks!

The last I heard the GRE people recommend to leave yourself about 6 weeks to get your scores sent to schools, especially around this time of year. I went through this last year as I was out of the country until mid December (which is when I ended up writing my exam).

If you are really really wanting to push back the exam, the only thing working in your favour is your application dates. I applied to a couple American schools last year and when I was phoning to follow up around December 15th to 20th (to give them my scores verbally) they were all closed for Christmas break and were not looking at application packages until the new year. Additionally, you will know your verbal and quantitive score right after your write, so you can give them unofficial scores in the mean time. Usually that is sufficient if your official scores are a little late.

If you think that an extra week or two in studying will really help you, I'd put off the exam until then. Do keep in mind though that it may not come off too well at some of your schools, but I doubt that it will be detrimental.

Delaying will likely add stress to your life -- more time to worry about taking the test and worry about whether you will get your scores in time. Have you taken a sample test yet? If not, I would do this so that you can see where you stand. One thing about taking the GRE in October is that if for some reason you took the test and then wanted to do a retake you would still be able to do that (since you could still take it again in November).

I took the test two weeks ago. Someone else has been wondering about receipt of score time so I'm planning to post how long it takes for my scores to arrive. I have heard though that it can take quite a bit longer in the Nov/Dec timeframe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the thing.

My current test date is in 2.5 weeks. I'm taking a prep course but the schools I'm applying to (all PhD) have scores in the 650-700 range. My verbal is in that range but my math is not.....and so I'd use the extra time to beef up on math since that seems to be weighted more anyway.

I was thinking of taking the test around Nov. 15. My deadlines start Dec. 15. If I can put on the application my test scores that I find out the day of the test, will that be sufficient for the time being until the schools get the official score reports?

I do think the extra weeks of studying would help me, esp. b/c my schools GRE averages are so high.

What do you think?

Anyone? Please help a non-trad out--I have no advisor to ask this stuff to!

Well it sounds like you're asking the question when you already know what you want to do... but if you want extra help deciding I would contact the schools directly and ask them if unofficial scores will suffice until ETS sends the real thing. That's the only way to know for sure.

Anyone? Please help a non-trad out--I have no advisor to ask this stuff to!

I'd say exactly what I did earlier in this thread. Put it off, send in your unofficial scores with a note saying the official ones are on their way.

Off topic... I'd also suggest applying to some schools that have less competitive GRE averages. Give yourself a little bit of a buffer and breathing room. These programs are extremely competitive so applying to schools with a lower GRE score average than yours will make you look that much more attractive.

If it is any consolation, some schools are backing off a bit on the importance of GREs, though you still need to do well, you may get a bit more leeway with what you need. I think as long as you get more than the cut-off score, the GRE isn't going to help you as much as your other stuff. If you do great, it can only help, if you don't do as great.....you'll have to lean more on the rest of your application.

-t

ps. Do what makes you comfortable, and remember this is just one test....not the end of the world.

Off topic... I'd also suggest applying to some schools that have less competitive GRE averages. Give yourself a little bit of a buffer and breathing room. These programs are extremely competitive so applying to schools with a lower GRE score average than yours will make you look that much more attractive.

Here's the thing--because of my husband's preferences, I am limited to applying to schools only in particular cities. I am pretty much only applying to schools that are a 4-5 on the Insider's Guide scale, meaning more balanced. I would think that these would be less competitive than schools on the 6 to 7 scale, meaning more research focused. However, because I'm limited to particular cities where my husband can find a job, these schools just happen to be more competitive.

I just took a practice test and my scores were:

math 560
verbal 730

The math means for the schools I'm applying to is around 700. What do you think--should I postpone or take in 2.5 weeks?

a 1290 is pretty decent!

If everything else in your package is really strong, then I think you'll be ok. But you gotta have the works: good research experience, excellent grades, excellent statement, excellent letters, work experience would be helpful--to ensure a spot in a clinical program.

btw: the ETS powerprep tests yielded scores closer the my actual score on the GRE.

Are you not going to take the subject test?

Pizza: I understand why you're so stressed about this, but remember a couple of things:

-only you can make this decision. We've all had different experiences and I'm not sure that any of us would feel comfortable saying "here's what you should do."
-I have not heard anyone say that they retook the test a month later and upped their score by any significant amount. I may be wrong, but I am guessing that your score in 2.5 weeks will be similar to your score in November.
-I didn't take the subject test until November and it got to all my schools on time. With the general, you get your V and Q scores right then so you can put them on your applications. Granted, they are "unofficial" but they usually suffice as long as your scores get there pretty close to the cutoff date. I think someone suggested you call the schools you are applying to and ask. Great idea.

I know this is not the "answer" you are looking for, but I hope you are at least getting some helpful guidance in order to make up your mind.

Good luck!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
But you gotta have the works: good research experience, excellent grades, excellent statement, excellent letters, work experience would be helpful--to ensure a spot in a clinical program.

Yikes, I probably have no chance then given the above: I have good research experience, but not much of it; I have good grades--3.6--but not excellent, I have no idea who I'm going to ask to write my third LOR, and I have some clinical work experience, but not much.

So overall, things aren't looking too good for me to be accepted. Oh well, I don't mind re-applying next year.

Yikes, I probably have no chance then given the above: I have good research experience, but not much of it; I have good grades--3.6--but not excellent, I have no idea who I'm going to ask to write my third LOR, and I have some clinical work experience, but not much.

So overall, things aren't looking too good for me to be accepted. Oh well, I don't mind re-applying next year.

Don't get discouraged. A lot of getting in is finding the right match. If you tailor your applications to the programs where your research interests really fit the POI's research, you have a much better shot. Lot's of people without perfect scores, letters, etc. get in to doctoral programs.

where are you at, studywise? do you know all of the math concepts? if not, if you really don't know geometry or how to find a slope, then maybe , just maybe a bit more time would help.

but if you do have a basic understanding of the math, then all you can do is practice, and especially practice timed, and on the computer. remember, this test is not like other tests - even if you're doing quite well, you'll still get hard questions, you'll still get questions wrong. it's the nature of the computer adaptive beast. on a paper test, there's a mix of hard and easier questions, and your ego can recover from being stumped on one by acing the other. but this test is really different. it's unlikely to feel good, even if you do well.

if math is a subject area that you are not well versed in, deliberate, intense study can boost your score (i went from a 500 on practice tests, and on my SAT in math, to a 640 on my GRE - not a flawless score, but fine alongside my kick ass verbal score) but weeks or a few months, in my opinion, won't get you to the place where doing the math is fun and easy. when i took the gre last week, the verbal was actually fun and easy. that's because i'm extremely strong at it, and have lots of confidence in my verbal abilities. i worked my heinie off studying for the math, but if i waited to feel good about it, the way i felt about the verbal, i don't know if i could have even appplied to grad school this year.

The math section is all about tricks. Nearly every question on it can be solved in under 30 seconds if you see the trick. If you're spending more than a minute and a half on one question, you've missed something.

I don't think you need to nail every aspect of the application to be a strong applicant. My GPA is not stellar, but I still got into my first choice program. Research experience is essential, and letters are super-important, but your GPA/GREs dont have to be perfect and your PS doesn't have to be a masterpiece. And EVERYONE has clinical experience, so that alone isn't going to make you a great applicant. Fit trumps all.

Don't get discouraged. A lot of getting in is finding the right match. If you tailor your applications to the programs where your research interests really fit the POI's research, you have a much better shot. Lot's of people without perfect scores, letters, etc. get in to doctoral programs.

Well, the problem is that my current research assistant position (which was very hard to find as a second career student not associated with a university) has nothing to do with my actual research interests. I'm not sure how this will be received, but I hope places understand that when you're 30 and coming from a different career, finding an RA position is very difficult, and finding an RA position in line with your research interests was not something I could find.

And I have no clue who I'm going to ask for a third LOR. I have my RA PI for one letter, and a psych prof for the other, but I don't know who I'm going to ask for the third. I've been out of undergrad nearly 10 years, and I don't think any of my profs remember me. And I don't want to ask previous employers--though I think that's my only option at this point. So I'm not expecting much luck with the application process this year.

Well, the problem is that my current research assistant position (which was very hard to find as a second career student not associated with a university) has nothing to do with my actual research interests. I'm not sure how this will be received, but I hope places understand that when you're 30 and coming from a different career, finding an RA position is very difficult, and finding an RA position in line with your research interests was not something I could find.

And I have no clue who I'm going to ask for a third LOR. I have my RA PI for one letter, and a psych prof for the other, but I don't know who I'm going to ask for the third. I've been out of undergrad nearly 10 years, and I don't think any of my profs remember me. And I don't want to ask previous employers--though I think that's my only option at this point. So I'm not expecting much luck with the application process this year.

Don't worry too much about the field that you have the RA experience in. In a perfect world, yes it would be in the area that you wish to pursue. However, this world is not so perfect. I think the most important thing is that you HAVE research experience versus no research experience.

As for LOR... two is great. A lot of schools only ask for two. If you do need a third for some schools, it sounds like it may be tricky for you. What about someone else in you RA supervisors lab? Is there someone there who is more senior than you, like someone almost done their Ph.D who could vouch for you? Or even a prof associated with your supervisor that may have seen your work ethic or what you have been up to? It's important to have good letters of reference, but not all three have to be your best friend if you can't manage that. It sounds like you have two good ones, relax a bit on the third if you have to and pick someone who you think will say good things about you, even if they don't know you that well. As for previous employers, I would say that if they aren't in this field, or some what related to it, don't bother. It won't help your application at all.

I feel for you... I'm having issues with my LOR from my prof's in a different country. I'm starting to think of a back up if I get hmmm screwed (long story) by one which I think might happen. Keep thinking positively though, if you think that you'll never get in this year because of the issues you are having you will probably sabotage it for yourself.

I don't know what to tell you about rescheduling your GRE test for the next date, but I do want to stress the importance of pacing on the math section of the test. I went in to the test feeling very confident about the math part of it because I've always liked math, and I ended up doing way worse than I expected because I spent too long on one question that I was sure I could get and I didn't have enough time to finish the test. I had to quickly guess on a bunch of questions at the end without even reading them, just to get through it. Anyway, I really regretted that mistake, and I just want to warn you not to do the same. If you're struggling with a particular question, just guess and move on.

Don't worry too much about the field that you have the RA experience in. In a perfect world, yes it would be in the area that you wish to pursue. However, this world is not so perfect. I think the most important thing is that you HAVE research experience versus no research experience.

As for LOR... two is great. A lot of schools only ask for two. If you do need a third for some schools, it sounds like it may be tricky for you. What about someone else in you RA supervisors lab? Is there someone there who is more senior than you, like someone almost done their Ph.D who could vouch for you? Or even a prof associated with your supervisor that may have seen your work ethic or what you have been up to? It's important to have good letters of reference, but not all three have to be your best friend if you can't manage that. It sounds like you have two good ones, relax a bit on the third if you have to and pick someone who you think will say good things about you, even if they don't know you that well. As for previous employers, I would say that if they aren't in this field, or some what related to it, don't bother. It won't help your application at all.

On point #1, I completely agree. I did RA work in a cognitive lab and that was far from where I wanted to research. But what mattered was that I got the experience.

On point #2 I have to disagree somewhat. If I remember correctly, the OP wants Ph.D. programs. These are generally going to require 3 LOR's (none of mine asked for fewer than 3). Also, and it is best to have a Ph.D. write them if at all possible. Academics want to know that other academics approve of you. If you don't have another prof to write for you, a good strong letter from someone with an MA and a good working knowledge of your mad skillz would be best. :laugh:

On point #2 I have to disagree somewhat. If I remember correctly, the OP wants Ph.D. programs. These are generally going to require 3 LOR's (none of mine asked for fewer than 3). Also, and it is best to have a Ph.D. write them if at all possible. Academics want to know that other academics approve of you. If you don't have another prof to write for you, a good strong letter from someone with an MA and a good working knowledge of your mad skillz would be best. :laugh:

I totally hear what you're saying, but I think you over looked some things that the OP stated. Most of the schools I am applying to ask for 2 or three references, but 2 are required (clinical Ph.D as well) so that's why I said 2 are most important. Additionally, I agree that it would be best for Ph.D's to fill out references, but the OP stated that she didn't know anyone with their Ph.D who knows her and has been out of undergrad for over 10 years. I was trying to be creative in a not so perfect situation. The reason why I asked if there were people in her lab that are almost done their Ph.D is because they would most likely have their MA and be close to being a 'doctor'. I guess bottom line, try to find someone with the most 'status' and will say good things about you, and ask them to be your referee.

Take the earlier date. I mean if you're averaging around a 1290 your score is not going to drastically change and a 1290 is AWESOME!!!!

Also as a Non-Trad...I'd think your subject test will be of more interest to these schools than your General GRE test anyway.

Where are you applying?

Also as a Non-Trad...I'd think your subject test will be of more interest to these schools than your General GRE test anyway.

Why do you say that? Many schools don't require the subject anyway.

A 1290 isn't head-turningly amazing, but it'll get you past initial culls. :thumbup:

I totally hear what you're saying, but I think you over looked some things that the OP stated. Most of the schools I am applying to ask for 2 or three references, but 2 are required (clinical Ph.D as well) so that's why I said 2 are most important. Additionally, I agree that it would be best for Ph.D's to fill out references, but the OP stated that she didn't know anyone with their Ph.D who knows her and has been out of undergrad for over 10 years. I was trying to be creative in a not so perfect situation. The reason why I asked if there were people in her lab that are almost done their Ph.D is because they would most likely have their MA and be close to being a 'doctor'. I guess bottom line, try to find someone with the most 'status' and will say good things about you, and ask them to be your referee.

Please don't be offended. I was disagreeing with the statement that many schools only ask for two references, not the info about PhD writers. We clearly have different experiences because all 11 of my schools wanted 3 LORs. In addition, all of my classmates who were applying with me (most to different schools than I did) had the same requirement. I have never encountered a school that only wanted 2. Clearly they're out there since you've had that experience.

Even though I stand by the statement having the PhD writer is best, I completely agree that having someone with an MA who knows you well and can write a strong letter will be fine if you don't have other options.

Please don't be offended. I was disagreeing with the statement that many schools only ask for two references, not the info about PhD writers. We clearly have different experiences because all 11 of my schools wanted 3 LORs. In addition, all of my classmates who were applying with me (most to different schools than I did) had the same requirement. I have never encountered a school that only wanted 2. Clearly they're out there since you've had that experience.

Even though I stand by the statement having the PhD writer is best, I completely agree that having someone with an MA who knows you well and can write a strong letter will be fine if you don't have other options.

Oh, no no no. Not offended at all! This is one thing that makes message boards tricky... it's very easy to misinterpret and read things into posts that were just not intended. Sorry, I just thought you didn't get what I was saying, when I guess it was me who wasn't getting what you were saying. Well, it's good though that we are basically saying the same thing to the OP lol. K, I'm not offended at all and I really hope that you aren't either.

Oh, no no no. Not offended at all! This is one thing that makes message boards tricky... it's very easy to misinterpret and read things into posts that were just not intended. Sorry, I just thought you didn't get what I was saying, when I guess it was me who wasn't getting what you were saying. Well, it's good though that we are basically saying the same thing to the OP lol. K, I'm not offended at all and I really hope that you aren't either.

:laugh: Nope. I don't offend easily. You're so right about it being tricky writing on message boards. And I am apt to mis-read something or miss something...I frequently post something after I've only read half a message and then when I go back to read what I was responding to, I realize I stuck my foot in my mouth in some way.

No worries!:p