Thinking about dropping Pre-Med....

Started by Hogfan10
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When you think about it, it seems like doctors have been telling kids not to go into medicine for decades. Every so often, something comes along that some doctors think will tank medicine. Not to discount the changes from the ACA, but this phenomenon of doctors discouraging pre-meds doesn't seem to be new.

I have yet to found a doctor who discouraged me from medicine. However, one physician encouraged me to go MD/MBA because it'll be much more useful in the future. I told him, respectfully, that I'd much rather simply get the MD because I have absolutely no interest in the MBA part.
 
I have yet to found a doctor who discouraged me from medicine. However, one physician encouraged me to go MD/MBA because it'll be much more useful in the future. I told him, respectfully, that I'd much rather simply get the MD because I have absolutely no interest in the MBA part.

I was standing in line for an open bar at one of my school banquets, and I was listening to the man in front of me - clearly a doctor - talking on the phone about one of his patients. Once he hung up, he turned to me and said,"looks like I'm cutting open someone's stomach tomorrow! Never go into medicine." I laughed and told him I had already gotten into podiatry school. I think he was joking, but that's my one story about a doctor telling me not to go into medicine.
 
I was standing in line for an open bar at one of my school banquets, and I was listening to the man in front of me - clearly a doctor - talking on the phone about one of his patients. Once he hung up, he turned to me and said,"looks like I'm cutting open someone's stomach tomorrow! Never go into medicine." I laughed and told him I had already gotten into podiatry school. I think he was joking, but that's my one story about a doctor telling me not to go into medicine.

I think the difference is the specialties. All of the IMs that I interact with, Cards/GI/Neph/Pulm, say that their specialty is good. I asked the ones that I interacted with if they'd do it all over again, would they change/do something else. If my memory serves me right, all of them said that they'd stick to IM. A few encouraged me to go into their field due to a larger need and great pay, Card. However, I've been thinking about my future and Onc seems to be the right fit for me, and Card is kinda a back up.

But, OP, do what you think is right. If you're feeling something else, go for it.
 
Yeah I've had some more excellent talks with a pharmacist, dentist and doc this break and they have given me so much perspective on it all. Not reform exactly, but just picking a career. The dentist told me everyone told him to not go into to dentistry because he'd go broke and he has a flourishing practice and is doing very well.

Anyone who has been discouraged latley like I have, from talking to all three of them (whom I know very close personally) the best thing to do is forget about the job outlook and any legislature and just go off what you like to do. That is my plan.