Thinking about my career

Harrison Taylor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about becoming a pharmacist but i'm not sure, I want people to comment on this thread about what it is like becoming and being a pharmacist and the difficulty required to get the job.

Members don't see this ad.

My first advice is to not use your real name or picture on sdn

Get good grades and you can be a pharmacist. I wouldn't want to do retail...like ever....but the ED pharmacist at my hospital is a fabulous person and really adds to patient care

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Going from square one to becoming a pharmacist has always been difficult. Over the last 7-10 years, the barrier of entry has shifted from getting into pharmacy school to being able to find a job after you graduate.

It used to be that getting into pharmacy school was very competitive (think med school), but once you got in, graduated, and passed the boards you would have job offers thrown at you left and right with signing bonuses. Now that tons of pharmacy schools have opened, just about anyone can get into pharmacy school but with so many graduates it is very difficult to find a job. The problem is that you would be stuck with $200k+ in loans which you would be unable to pay off if you could not find a job.

There are other professions, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, physician assistant, the trades, etc. that offer better job prospects and do not require you to graduate with $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years in school only to face poor job prospects.

Yeah i
Going from square one to becoming a pharmacist has always been difficult. Over the last 7-10 years, the barrier of entry has shifted from getting into pharmacy school to being able to find a job after you graduate.

It used to be that getting into pharmacy school was very competitive (think med school), but once you got in, graduated, and passed the boards you would have job offers thrown at you left and right with signing bonuses. Now that tons of pharmacy schools have opened, just about anyone can get into pharmacy school but with so many graduates it is very difficult to find a job. The problem is that you would be stuck with $200k+ in loans which you would be unable to pay off if you could not find a job.

There are other professions, i.e. computer programming, finance, accounting, engineering, physician assistant, the trades, etc. that offer better job prospects and do not require you to graduate with $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years in school only to face poor job prospects.
would never do pharmacy I prefer optometry tho