Thinking about next cycle, when do i submit DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wantVCUdental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So... i will try to submit my AADSAS in the first week when aadsas open...
Should i send DAT scores in MAY? so schools will get them in June? Is the first mailing date June 1st?

Members don't see this ad.

So... i will try to submit my AADSAS in the first week when aadsas open...
Should i send DAT scores in MAY? so schools will get them in June? Is the first mailing date June 1st?

Good question I plan on applying the first week as well. Whens a good time to make a final list of schools to apply to and send those schools the DAT scores? I was thinking before the application process opens so the schools will already have the DAT scores upon receiving my application...

What about for people who plan on re-taking their DAT's in July? Would it be smart to still submit the application as early as possible, with only the DAT remaining?

Members don't see this ad :)
What about for people who plan on re-taking their DAT's in July? Would it be smart to still submit the application as early as possible, with only the DAT remaining?

yah thats a good question
im kinda still deciding when to take the DAT.

i dont think id be ready until around spring break time March 16 ish
but if i dont do as well as id like, maybe it would be nice to have the option of retaking it one more time and still catch this application cycle

i would then be able to take it june 16. but then it would take 2-3 weeks to process and then i would lose the edge that i had in applying early and the schools would recieve my DAT around early july, even if i initially applied on the week it opens in june

what should i do in this situation? should i save up and put all my eggs in one basket and take the DAT right before apps open? or should i take it a little bit earlier with the chance of redoing it?- that would be more comfortable

are there any other factors im forgetting?
its basically - should i spend more time and do it once, and get app in early
or should i take it a little early with the comfort of being able to take it again but forfeit early application?

take the exam only ONCE and do your BEST - this is what I heard form a dental professor/admission officer at UCSF as well as many of my professors in school.

Good luck

take the exam only ONCE and do your BEST - this is what I heard form a dental professor/admission officer at UCSF as well as many of my professors in school.

Good luck
i appreciate the advice
im just still a little indecisive, becuase my only experience with major tests was with the SAT. i took that test 3 times and did better each time, so i was just thinking that upwards trend might still apply lol

i appreciate the advice
im just still a little indecisive, becuase my only experience with major tests was with the SAT. i took that test 3 times and did better each time, so i was just thinking that upwards trend might still apply lol

the longer you study, the more pain you will have :cool:

Don't wait until you take the DAT to submit your AADSAS. Some schools like Nova and Case want your AADSAS done by the end of June. It makes life easier if you can take your DAT before then, but it's not the end of the world.

My best advice as someone who had to reapply because they submitted the AADSAS too late (sept) is to apply early. For some schools it doesn't matter as they don't look at applications until sept, but for some schools if you don't submit in June or July, your chances of landing an interview are reduced.

When you "submit" your DAT scores, all you do is pay for them to be available to the school. When you apply, the school will just download your scores off the web. (which makes it even more annoying that you pay 25/school)

Don't wait until you take the DAT to submit your AADSAS. Some schools like Nova and Case want your AADSAS done by the end of June. It makes life easier if you can take your DAT before then, but it's not the end of the world.

My best advice as someone who had to reapply because they submitted the AADSAS too late (sept) is to apply early. For some schools it doesn't matter as they don't look at applications until sept, but for some schools if you don't submit in June or July, your chances of landing an interview are reduced.

When you "submit" your DAT scores, all you do is pay for them to be available to the school. When you apply, the school will just download your scores off the web. (which makes it even more annoying that you pay 25/school)

so if i were to apply in early jun, but take the exam in late june - they would be able to see the dat scores within the same month? or would it take an addition 3-4 weeks for them to finally recieve and review my dat scores

right now im definitly not feeling ready, so im not sure how its gonna be in a month

also. how long does it take for aadsaas to recive your dat scores once youve taken them (and have already applied to schools)?