Thinking about NHSC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predent20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently a D1 who is thinking of applying for the upcoming NHSC scholarship cycle. I have been reading some old threads on this and thought it would be great to get some other opinions and info. Some questions I have are:

1) How much of a say do you have on location? Are you likely to have your top pick choice? This is the most important aspect for me in deciding whether I should apply. I know that rural areas are in great need but so are urban/inner city areas however they may be more popular and more difficult to find open positions.

2) For those who are already practicing under the scholarship, how much variety of treatments do you get to do? I have spent some time volunteering in community clinics and they say that the majority of procedures are extractions. I am afraid that I will not be able to hone my other skills.

Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a D2 on the scholarship. You have full say in where you go (you apply like any other job). However, your options are just very limited. The NHSC will pay for you to fly out and do three interviews I believe (at least two, maybe three). So it's not like HPSP; you have 100% say in where you go, and it is possible to transfer locations if it's a bad fit.

Obviously I can't answer your second question, but if you're worried about honing skills then just do a GPR/AEGD before entering service.

Finally, they only award ~50 dental NHSC scholarships annually, so just apply (it's very simple) and see what happens. I, for one, endorse it highly. But my school is also hella expensive and this scholarship is gonna save me at least $300k upon graduation.

Did you start as a D1 with the scholarship? If so, how difficult is it to get the scholarship for the remaining years? Is it the same application process? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
i want to know,how difficult is it to get the scholarship for the remaining years? Is it the same application process? Thanks!
b8em6w

What are the contributing factors to getting the scholarship? Is the very competitive based on grades/DAT scores? Do they interview?

Hey,

I am a recipient of the scholarship as well (just started D1). The scholarship is GREAT! Although I was worried that there would be hiccups along the way, nothing has gone wrong. I have receive all of the money that was due and my tuition has been paid for the whole year. As long as you are proactive, the money process works without glitches.

To receive the scholarship for any remaining years it is the EXACT same process as everyone else... You just mark that you want to receive it for fewer years. From what I remember on the webinar, the scholarship is equally difficult to receive for students requesting 4 years and students requesting partial years.

To get the scholarship they base it on A LOT of factors. I would simply go here: http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/scholarships/

Download the "Application and Program Guidance" PDF it is 46 pages that will answer 100% of your questions. ALSO, go to last year's thread that I updated like a mad man. It will answer a lot of the small concerns as well. (it will also give little hints about the eccentricities of the application process).

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/nhsc-application-process.992915/

GOOD LUCK!

It's a life changer!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, JAWSSS! I appreciate your response! Just waiiiiitttttinggg until March! I am so excited and hopeful that I receive this scholarship!

:luck::doctor::thumbup: