Thinking about PA school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lah24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering going back to school to become a PA. I graduated in 2012 with a BS in Exercise Science. While in school I worked in athletic training, volunteered in cardiac rehab (200 hours) and did an internship in physical therapy (360 hours). Following graduation, I wasn't sure which direction to go in and decided to work before deciding to go back to school. I worked as an exercise physiologist in a physical therapy clinic where I performed Balke-Ware treadmill tests, monitored patients' vitals, assisted with patient exercises and treatment. I did this full-time for 1 year then part-time for another year. I also worked as a personal trainer for 1.5 years certified through ACSM and am a precision nutrition coach. I currently work in the corporate fitness field. I have a passion for helping people and it's something I will always have. I am looking to leave the fitness industry due to the lack of job growth and opportunity. Being a PA is something I have always been interested in, but am now strongly considering it.

I graduated with a 3.02 GPA. A low one I know to apply for PA school. With that being said, I still need to take more pre-reqs (Bio I and II, Chem I and II, Microbiology, Genetics). I took A and P I + II back in 2009 and didn't fair to well with a C+. I plan to re-take these classes because I would want a refresher before grad school. Do schools penalize you for doing this? And does it matter if they are re-taken at a community college? I am also worried about my health care experience. I worked directly with patients for almost 2 years, but it wasn't necessarily in the hospital setting. What other HCE do PA schools believe to be the best?

Any input is appreciated!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.