thinking about pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dxb8307

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, everyone... I am new to this forum and I have so many questions that I wanna ask I don't even know where the start...... Next year I should be getting a bachelors degree in Biology. I have been thinking about applying to Pharmacy schools after I get my bachelors.... I will be taking PTCE exam in couple days and then in summer I will be retaking some of the classes I didnt do so well in. Do you all think that is a good start? Also, what would you say, what would be the lowest GPA/PCAT score that I'd need to have before even applying to pharm. school? Can you give me some pros/cons of Texas Tech and UT pharmacy school? Which one is harder to get into?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, everyone... I am new to this forum and I have so many questions that I wanna ask I don't even know where the start...... Next year I should be getting a bachelors degree in Biology. I have been thinking about applying to Pharmacy schools after I get my bachelors.... I will be taking PTCE exam in couple days and then in summer I will be retaking some of the classes I didnt do so well in. Do you all think that is a good start? Also, what would you say, what would be the lowest GPA/PCAT score that I'd need to have before even applying to pharm. school? Can you give me some pros/cons of Texas Tech and UT pharmacy school? Which one is harder to get into?
Thank you

To have a moderately decent chance I'd suggest 3.2 or better. You can get in with lower, and I'd still apply to at least a couple schools you feel would give you a chance (granted you haven't mentioned your GPA yet) if you have a lower than average (3.4-3.5) GPA. The closer to average the better the chance. The PTCE will help you gain experience in a pharmacy setting since it's easier to get into a pharmacy as an employee than as a volunteer (not that volunteering in a pharmacy is impossible) PCAT score needed will depend on GPA as there is a certain relationship between the two. Both try to guage how able you are to comprehend material. You'll find a few threads that discuss this relationship and the different successes and failures of various applicants.

I can't help with the Texas Pharm Schools since I'm not really familiar. All I know is environmental. With the stockyards and the winds in the right direction, Amarillo stinks in the summer. Houston is consistently in the top two for worst air quality. Usually goes back and forth between LA Metro area and Houston Metro area.

First of all, welcome to SDN. You'll find tons of information here that will help you along your way.

Getting your pharm tech certification is definitely a plus but actual experience, whether paid or not, in a pharmacy is very helpful. Go to your local pharmacies and hospitals and introduce yourself to the pharmacists there, let them know of your goals, ask them questions, try to familiarize yourself with pharmacy as a career. This can only help, especially if they allow you to volunteer. Eventually you may even get a LOR from one of them.

Since you have some time before you plan on applying I would make the most of it by becoming a well rounded applicant. Get involved as much as you can in community activities and volunteer work, as those strengthen your application immensely. I would say that with a GPA of 3.5+ and a PCAT score of 80+, you'd be a solid applicant. I believe the average GPA/PCAT for both schools hovers in the 3.6-3.7/79-84 range.

Although I have not attended classes yet, from what I saw at the interview and from what I've heard, Texas Tech has an excellent reputation of producing quality pharmacists and the facilities are outstanding. Yes, the location (Amarillo) may not be the greatest, but Amarillo has most of the conveniences of a large city, plus it is home of the Big Texan Steak, how awesome is that!!:smuggrin:

Since I didn't apply to UT, I can't say much about it but UT has a top notch program and is in a great place to live. You can't really lose with either program as both will provide you with a great education.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really know what to tell you about GPA. Do the best you can and apply... if you dont get in, retake more classes and try again. Experience definetly helps a ton!!! I recommend that!!

As for tech or UT... I go to tech and its great. Amarillo sucks but you only have to be here for two years and you can do your last two years in dallas which is a major plus. The facilities are great and the faculty is really nice. I know UT is a great school but I have heard that they are not as friendly and they are definetly not as technologically advanced as tech. The UT campus is big and you cannot park really at all on campus which is a major down side. Tech has parking for everyone right on campus, very very close. Our class sizes are also slightly smaller too. Also, they are about to open a new school in Abilene if that interests you. UT is harder to get in to but I think that Tech is the better school. UT has been around for a while and is kind of stuck in its ways. If you want to do clinical pharmacy I would definetly look hard at Tech. If retail is your cup of tea then either one would be great.

To have a moderately decent chance I'd suggest 3.2 or better. You can get in with lower, and I'd still apply to at least a couple schools you feel would give you a chance (granted you haven't mentioned your GPA yet) if you have a lower than average (3.4-3.5) GPA. The closer to average the better the chance. The PTCE will help you gain experience in a pharmacy setting since it's easier to get into a pharmacy as an employee than as a volunteer (not that volunteering in a pharmacy is impossible) PCAT score needed will depend on GPA as there is a certain relationship between the two. Both try to guage how able you are to comprehend material. You'll find a few threads that discuss this relationship and the different successes and failures of various applicants.

I can't help with the Texas Pharm Schools since I'm not really familiar. All I know is environmental. With the stockyards and the winds in the right direction, Amarillo stinks in the summer. Houston is consistently in the top two for worst air quality. Usually goes back and forth between LA Metro area and Houston Metro area.

Thank you all so much for the input. I appreciate it very much.