thinking about pursuing pharmacy- need advice, pros/cons please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sasoriboi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I've kinda been in a bubble of confusion lately. Just finished first year of dental school. Will say that there have been more cons than pros. Basically have gotten to the point where I feel that I do not enjoy most of the things that we do, and because of that, I feel like I'm wasting my time and money. I've felt like this for a while now, and want to go into something else. Ideally, I'd like to stay in a health career. I've always wanted to. I've been looking into options, and have looked into optometry or pharmacy recently- seems like something I'd like to do, and seems like an interesting career choice. Only thing is, I have no idea where to start. I would ideally like to start by shadowing, and get myself some experience and exposure. But I have a lot of questions:

-How do I apply? I have a strong undergrad GPA (3.9+) and my DAT score was high (23). I know the PCAT is pretty similar to the DAT.
-How would it looks to pharm schools if I transferred from dental school?
-When do the cycles run for applying?
-When can you take the PCAT exam?
-Will admissions be looking into my dental school transcript and grades?
-Do I have a good chance of getting in, despite the fact that I'm already in dental school?

I'm really trying to see all my options. I love organic chemistry and biochem, and think pharmacology is really interesting. But i'm concerned about somethings: oversaturation, working in retail, possibly being behind a counter all day. I'm not really sure of different career options for pharmacy to be honest.

Just a lot of concerns and questions. I'm going through a lot of confusion right now, so any information helps. Could I hear some pros and cons, maybe even from current pharmacists?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Keep in mind that regardless of what you prefer to do with pharmacy, about 70% of the jobs are in retail followed by 20% hospital dispensing. The odds are truly stacked against you if you want to do anything other than retail.

Keep in mind that regardless of what you prefer to do with pharmacy, about 70% of the jobs are in retail followed by 20% hospital dispensing. The odds are truly stacked against you if you want to do anything other than retail.
Is the whole retail thing and oversaturation what concerns most people?

Is the whole retail thing and oversaturation what concerns most people?

Basically those, as well as being $200k+ in debt and unemployed or underemployed (<32 hours/week) due to the saturation, or having to move 500+ miles away from family and friends to the middle of nowhere because that is where the only job opening is to be found.

upload_2017-1-31_18-33-45-png.214145