Thinking of taking Biology II

Started by Merlin777
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Merlin777

Pre-PT student
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In my state's PT schools, only 1 semester of Biology is necessary (Bio 1 plus lab).

Now I have heard of people taking Organic chem because they got a mediocre grade in Chem 2 but couldn't retake it, so they just took the next highest Chemistry.

Could the same thing apply to Biology?

For example, if I take Bio II plus lab, do you think schools would take my grade for Bio II instead because it is a higher Bio course? Or how about Microbiology?

It could boost my Biology grade in PTCAS, but would it work?
 
Last edited:
Does what I'm saying make any sense at all, or am I stuck retaking Biology I if I want a better grade? (Might not be worth it, since I got a B)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Taking Bio 2 and getting an A could boost your overall GPA, but whether or not it would count in your prereq GPA is up to the individual schools. The best way to get the answer to your question is to contact the schools you are interested in directly.
 
I'll also add my experience understanding bio pre-reqs, but the other poster had it right in saying that the best way to know is to talk to the school. In many undergrad programs, Bio I and Bio II aren't necessarily a sequence--Bio II isn't considered "higher." It would only be higher if it were 200 or 300 level.

Another thing to keep in mind is that some DPT programs require 2 bios, so maybe having one more (whether Bio II or Micro or Cell Phys) would be good insurance. It's always good to consider both worst case and best scenario...you know, just in case!

Hope this helps!