Thinking of tutoring Ochem, how much should I charge?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

cheezer

I talked to a professor of mine and he said to accept no less than $50/hr. Apparently people pay that???

Members don't see this ad.

0$/hour

wtf, why would a student every pay you 50$/hr to tutor them? Can't they just go talk to the professor for free!

This is so stupid, you're a terrible troll. Next time you make a troll post, you have to make it somewhat believable...

Members don't see this ad :)
At my university tutoring is provided by student academic support services for free by students that are employed through the university. They must meet requirements to be tutored.

Not a troll post what-so-ever.
I tutor high-schoolers in biology, chemistry, and math. I make $30-$40, while the company i tutor for charges $75/hour. For something as specialized as Ochem, you could EASILY get away with 50/hour.
Are you doing this privately, or through a company?

At my university tutoring is provided by student academic support services for free by students that are employed through the university. They must meet requirements to be tutored.

Off-topic:

I felt like a total nerd after I got the " We all love the fatties: CH3-(CH2)n-CO2" part of your sig and laughed for 10 seconds. :thumbup: My orgo final is tomorrow.

On topic:

$50/hour is ridiculous; do students have that kind of money to throw away? The ones who are desperate enough to pay that much are the ones that probably won't pass the class anyway.

Ridiculous. Unless it's a community college, they likely have free tutoring for ochem. I don't know why anyone would pay you $50 an hour. Guess people are just dumb.

O

$50/hour is ridiculous; do students have that kind of money to throw away? The ones who are desperate enough to pay that much are the ones that probably won't pass the class anyway.
Exactly what I said :laugh::laugh:

People willing to pay $50 an hour are just desperately looking for a way to make up for their laziness. I seriously don't understand it. What can a tutor do for someone anyway? Organize the information? I don't think that's worth giving someone hundreds of dollars when in the end the work they have to put in will probably be marginally less than other A students who studied on their own.

i tutored anatomy/physiology to a high school student and was offered 25 an hour......i gladly accepted. 50 dollars is just ridiculous.

No, this is serious. The intelligence and work ethic of people at my school run the gamut and apparently there are people willing to throw away that kind of money. Let's pretend that not all people who call themselves "premed" are like the ones on SDN. I posted because I thought it was a ridiculous amount of money too; anyone who's serious about our path would just study hard.

HOWEVER, I want to get paid this summer and I needed an accurate gauge of the going rate for an Ochem tutor. There's a guy pulling a B in my Ochem II class who's getting $50/hr doing it while I, the A student, am not. Anyway, I thought he was full of **** but I guess it's possible.I plan on doing it privately.

here the going rate for chem grad students is, uh, $30?

although a lot of the rich little post-bacc kids (i make this distinction because there are very low barriers to entry for this program) who don't actually have any desire to attend med school probably pay more behind the scenes.

I would think your University provides free tutoring. If it doesn't, then there should be a petition sent to the Dean of Students and Provost at 9:00 a.m.

where do you go, commie u?! this is america, and dammit, if there's money to be made, who are administrators to stand in the way of the market ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on the area, your connections, and your marketing ability.

Put out some feelers. Craigslist, other LA-web stuff, papers, friends, et cetera. Ask for something around $40/50. Offer other areas of tutoring. See if you get any bites.

$20 per hour if you're good.

People struggle a lot w/ orgo, and people do pay handsomely for tutoring. I would start at maybe 20/hour, then if you find yourself getting overwhelmed with requests raise the price a bit. For my orgo 2 final, the tutor was paid over $400 for a 4 hour review the night before the test ($20/person x 20 people). Probaby quite a reach since he's been tutoring orgo for like 5 years now but I figured I'd share that example.

That's awesome. You want people to be lazy so that you can earn $$$

Isn't that essentially the goal of all physicians and physicians-to-be?
ding ding ding.

And I've heard of worse prices for tutoring. 50/hr sounds average from the prices I've seen. Has anyone actually looked up the going rates for a tutor? Look at Kaplans "private" tutors. They go well over 1500 for limited counseling.

I don't know where you all live, but here in the NY metro area I get $70 per hour to tutor high school students in science and math ($75/hour if I drive to their homes). Of course I'm talking about rich parents paying to have their kids' GPA higher to look good on a college app. Now if we're talking about kids paying for their own tutoring, I don't know...

If you honestly chose to charge $50/hr, the person paying you is going to be able to reasonably expect a great, professional product. You better perform or they could quite reasonably sue you in small claims court and win.

What sort of experience do you have? Have you tutored or taught students before? Do you have an expanded level of knowledge of organic chemistry beyond just the simple Orgo 1 and Orgo 2 coursework? If you're an undergrad who's maybe tutored once before and has just gone through and succeeded in the classes, you do not deserve $50/hr because you will not provide a service equal in value to $50/hr. You *maybe* deserve $20/hr for your time. If you have completed a degree in chemistry and maybe have a stronger knowledge of organic chemistry, then maybe $25-30/hr. Only if you have graduate training in organic chemistry should you consider anything higher than $30/hr because that approaches the area of "professional fees."

Dude, it should be more like $7-10 an hour. I don't know why anyone would get tutored for $50 an hour when you could just go talk to your prof or TA for free during their help sessions. Most universities also have a special departmental help session.

If you honestly chose to charge $50/hr, the person paying you is going to be able to reasonably expect a great, professional product. You better perform or they could quite reasonably sue you in small claims court and win.

It's an agreed upon service for an agreed upon price. You're not buying a tutor from a salesperson with a warranty. If you see an ad for tutoring for 50/hr and you pay it, there's very little you can do in terms of taking this to court. That's like not paying the lawnmower guy because he didn't cut the grass as short as you like.

I'm headed to tutor right after I get off work here(Programming). I get $20-$25 range. It's not that ridiculous... I do a pretty good job, if I mess something up, I offer to tutor for free to make up for it, or I stay longer to make sure they understand the concepts. I'd say $20 is average here though, for something like PChem you can make bank cash, like $30.

$50 is highway robbery though, you should be ashamed :eek: