Third MCAT attempt + reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

journeytomed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I applied this past cycle (2015-2016) with no success. I have taken the MCAT two times, score breakdown below, and I am currently scheduled to take the MCAT on June 2nd. This past cycle, I was not complete at most schools until mid-Sept/mid-Oct (some even in Nov). That in combination with my abysmal MCAT score, I believe, is what caused an unsuccessful cycle.

Jan 2015: 29 (9/11/9)
June 2015: 504 (got pneumonia 1 week prior to MCAT)

I went ahead and decided I would like to retake the MCAT for the third time prior to applying this cycle. My question is - how bad would it be for me to reschedule my MCAT from June 2nd to June 18th? Based on my schedule, I will be done with content review on May 19th. As such, I would like to have a full month of practice tests before taking the MCAT, especially since its my third time and I can't afford a third bad score. If I stick to the June 2nd date, I will only have 2 weeks. Also, I work almost FT (4 days a week), so I'm sure how many practice tests I can get in, in 2 weeks.

My concern with rescheduling the MCAT to June 18th is risking applying late yet again this cycle. I would not re-write/edit my PS until after June 18th, hopefully be done with that by July 1st. So I would submit my primary app on July 1st (vs early Aug last cycle). I plan to pre-write secondaries to schools I have not already applied to as well.

Any thoughts? Would love some feedback. I'm hoping for a 512+ because it is pointless for me to retake the MCAT if I'm not going to do significantly better because I know I'm already shooting myself in the foot taking it a third time.

TR;DL Okay to reschedule to June 18th or better to hardcore study the next 3 weeks for an earlier submit of my primary app?

Thanks! (Also posting this in the MCAT thread - hope its okay to double post, if not, I'll take it down!)

EDIT:
The rest of my app is as follows:
3.4 cGPA, 2.9 sGPA (taking additional summer courses to bump it up to 3.0)
3.7 SMP GPA.
LA resident - just missed the cut off for LA resident during previous application cycle. So I think my new residency will help with LSU-NOLA and LSU-S (which is ultimately where I would like to be).

Solid LORs.
Heavy ECs focused on my passion of serving inner-city/urban environment.
Scribe for the past 9 months (plan to continue during my gap year)
Minimal research experience (3 months) - I plan to find research opportunities to pursue during my gap year PT while scribing.

Also planning to apply to DO this cycle in addition to MD.

Let me know if any additional information would help!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What's the rest of your app look like?

Members don't see this ad :)
That science GPA might have gotten you autoscreened out the first time :/. Any clinical or volunteer work? I wouldn't think about reapplying until you're consistently scoring significantly higher than your last go-around.

That science GPA might have gotten you autoscreened out the first time :/. Any clinical or volunteer work? I wouldn't think about reapplying until you're consistently scoring significantly higher than your last go-around.

I received secondaries from all schools except UCSF and UVA (two schools I shouldn't have applied to to begin with). I think the 2 weeks of practice tests will help boost my score. I have yet to take a FL so im not sure where my score is at, but I am doing well on practice passages I do daily.

I received secondaries from all schools except UCSF and UVA (two schools I shouldn't have applied to to begin with). I think the 2 weeks of practice tests will help boost my score. I have yet to take a FL so im not sure where my score is at, but I am doing well on practice passages I do daily.

Lol, weird that you're in two accounts there. I know you've taken it before, but I just don't think 2 weeks is enough time unless that 504 was just a poor test day. I'm in a similar position and had to put my life on hold for a year in order to prove to myself that I can do well on this test. It might be game over if you score sub 508 again : /.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol, weird that you're in two accounts there. I know you've taken it before, but I just don't think 2 weeks is enough time unless that 504 was just a poor test day. I'm in a similar position and had to put my life on hold for a year in order to prove to myself that I can do well on this test. It might be game over if you score sub 508 again : /.

How awkward. My girlfriend logged into her account -____ -

Yea, you're absolutely right. I'd really like to apply with her this cycle which is partly why I'm trying to improve my MCAT score but also submitting this cycle, but I completely get what you're saying. I think I'll try an FL in the next few days to gauge my score and go from there first.

Definitely bring the sGPA up! Once the MCAT comes in, you'd have a better idea of where to apply to. Apply broadly and early to both DO and MD. Have you applied to the MD school you took your SMP at? Perhaps there are admission/advisors/professors you could ask for strong LORS as well?

Did you apply/receive secondaries from the other UCs?

I applied to all UCs both for the 2015-2016 cycle and this past cycle (2016-2017) cycle. The first time I applied (I mispoke in an earlier post), I received secondaries from all UCs except UCSF, UCLA, and UC Irvine. This current cycle, I received secondaries from all UCs except UCLA and UC Irvine. I did not receive any interviews at any UCs, nor was I put on hold but I received 8 (or 9?) interviews from MD schools around the nation and will be matriculating this fall. There is always a chance!

Reactions: 1 user