Third time applicant needs input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paulee1983

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all SDNers,
the following would be quite a long story but I beg you guys to read it, analyze it, and give me some constructive comments or suggestions.

I was studied in a 2 years college and then trasferred to UCLA for my Biology major. When I finished my college I was thinking, why not give it a try to apply for dental school as I would complete all of the pre-req class in the first year of UCLA? (although all of the school highly recommend to obtain B.S. before applying :( ) I then shadowed in a local dental practice (60+ hrs), volunteered in Kern Medical Center as research assistant, got all the LOR, and took my DAT back in 2005. My score back in 2005 August was:

Bio 20
GC 20
OC 19
QR 22
RC 17
PAT 22

T.S. 20, A.A. 20, PAT 22

my GPA in college was pretty solid and the verified GPA from AADSAS was around 3.86. I believed it was an ok score and applied to the 5 dental schools in CA (namely UCLA, LLU, UCSF, USC, UOP), 2006 cycle. I was hoping to get an interview, but of course who would even offer it for a junior student? I got shot down by LLU, UOP, USC, and UCSF (UCSF said I have no 30 units in a 4 years univerisity :eek: ), and I found out UCLA didn't recive my sec. app after the deadline.

I expected this result and was not regret, at least I tried my best for the first time.

an year later I again applied to the same 5 school. I took my second DAT at Dec. 2006 (yes, very late!) and here was the result:

DAT___1st. (2005 Aug.)_______2nd (2006 Dec.)___
Bio________20____________________18
GC________20____________________21
OC________19____________________21
QC________22____________________21
RC________17____________________22
PAT_______22____________________19

____T.S. 20 A.A. 20 PAT 22___T.S. 19 A.A. 21 PAT 19

My GPA in the first year of UCLA wasn't that good and the overall verified GPA dropped down to around 3.6. I kept using the same LORs and personal statements from last year. I was also very active in student society (being an internal vice president), though not relate to dental:scared: . Another really bad thing was that I submitted my secondary apps very late (like 10 days before the deadline) because of some stupid personal reasons.

As you may now know, I got rejected again.

so I am now ready for the 2007 cycle, my third time applying dental school.

1. Do you guys think I am qualified for dental schools? If not, what can I improve?

2. If you guys look at my 2 DATs, you may find something interesting. The area I did bad in the first time get better in the second time, but the good are went worse (well actually I spent too less time for the 2nd time...like a week :thumbdown: ). Should I take my 3rd DAT in this summer? By the way, is my first DAT bck in 2005 Aug applicable for this cycle?

3. I really like to stay in CA, but do you guys think my scores are good enough for the competitive CA dental schools? I am CA resident but...an Asian (someone told me it is harder for Asian to get in). If not, which other dental school is easier to get in? ( I must get in this cycle...)

4. What do you guys suggest me to do in this year off after I graduated in this quarter? I am thinking going back to my hometown and look for a lab job, or should I vounteer in dental practice again? (but I can't put those things in my app this cycle though...)

5. I am looking for editing service for my personal statement and seconday apps answers. Which one do you guys suggest? Essayedge?

Any comments or criticisms are welcome. Please let me know what should I do...:(

Members don't see this ad.

You're competitive (stats-wise). Maybe get new letters or recommendation? If you're getting interviews, but not getting in, maybe work on your people skills?

Yea...there's really not much at this point that you can do for you application that would really make a big difference. You have very good schools and I would imagine you'd at least get an interview from USC and LLU. Just apply early is all i can say.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply early.

Thanks for the comments.

but still I would like to know the answers for my other questions.....

Thanks for the comments.

but still I would like to know the answers for my other questions.....

Did you get a chance to ask the admissions committees from the schools where they felt your application was weak? Their answers may give you direction in what you should be doing prior to the next application cycle.