Third Time's the charm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acromonkey

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How poorly do medical schools look at the fact that you take the mcat 3 times? If you improved on each test, is it still a bad sign that you took it 3 times? I really need advice on this so anything would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

If you took it 3 times to get over 30, for example 25, 27, 31 that's not so bad. Many people have to retake.

But if you took it 3 times and your scores were, for example, 30, 32, 33...it looks strange that you were retaking, and your 33 will not carry as much weight as someone who earned a 33 on the first try. However, you won't be completely written off either.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'd need to tell us your actual scores (and GPA probably too) to get any real personalized advice, but for general advice, this thread will help you out a lot:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=763242

I have a sGPA 3.7, working on my masters at an Ivy league school, doing research, just got a publication, did research undergrad, have other ECs including shadowing, physical therapist aid, volunteer work and other stuff. I took the mcat 2 years ago when I didn't take it seriously and got a 23 (i know, that's terrible) I didn't realize what the test was really like and didn't prepare like I should have. I'm planning to take the test Friday, but my practice scores aren't what I want them to be. I'm wondering if I take it and then have to take it once more to really get the score I want, if that is extremely negative.

I am applying this cycle :xf:, so I was trying to get my app in early. I'm stuck, because I'm not sure if I should take it Friday. I want to take it, because I COULD get a good grade, but I also MAY NOT get a good grade. If I don't get a good grade then I will be forced to take it again. I have called MCAT to see if there are any choices, but availabilities in my area (up to 7 hours away) are full until july 28th and then my app will be so late! So if I take it and could possibly get a score, that would be great. If I take it and don't do well, and then have to do it again, I'll have taken it 3 times. So I'm not sure what to do.

If anybody has any advice on this topic I would really appreciate any help. I'm so stuck right now debating what I should do.

Hey, I took the MCAT 3 times and my scores didn't change all that much... 26, 26, 27. The scores and the fact that I took it 3 times never came up during interviews but that's really just my experience. Ended up getting into 2 schools but that was after doing a postbac program for 1 year during my 2nd application cycle. I don't know how other things factored into their decision but I don't think it's all that detrimental to your application. Again that's just my experience.

Thank you for your experience. I really appreciate it. I know there is no right or wrong answer, I just don't know what to do.

I'm scoring between 23-27! Terrible!! VR is killing me! I know I can do better than this and I don't know why I haven't been. I wish I could just realize what my problem is and start doing what I know I'm capable of.

Last edited:
I'm scoring between 23-27! Terrible!! VR is killing me! I know I can do better than this and I don't know why I haven't been. I wish I could just realize what my problem is and start doing what I know I'm capable of.

It helps to summarize each paragraph with one sentence (so if there are 6 paragraphs you'll have 6 sentences). Keep them as short as possible. You will get the overall point of each paragraph and it whenever you're looking for a specific paragraph that you think has an answer, you can just read your sentences.

VR requires the ability to read a ton of stuff, but does not require you to remember every sentence you've read. Read at a fast pace, but don't get caught up trying to understand everything. Your time limit is ridiculously short, and you must keep a decent pace in order to get through all 7 passages.

It also requires a lot of practice. Read the newspaper and online articles, try and summarize each paragraph. Also remember that with the answers you're looking for the least wrong, not the one that's the most right (b/c maybe all of them have some truth to them). Even if the answer that looks the least wrong has a bizarre answer, pick it. Chances are they did that on purpose to throw you off.

Good luck! :thumbup:

C'mon! i'm a foreigner and i got 11 on VR! You can do it!
Your practice score is terrible. You are going to get a crappy score in 2 days..

I took the August 4th MCAT last year. I got first choice in the end.
Just saying, a late MCAT isn't a death kiss.
Also, spots will begin to open up as the test date approaches. People get freaked out and pay that 50 bucks to change it.
Watch for the deadline to change test date, and log on during those hours and things will begin to open up

Then you can't take the test Friday.

So what would your advice be as far as when to take it. I might be able to sign up 7 hours away for a July 16th date. And the next available date (as of Tuesday) that I can sign up for around my area is July 28th. Is that too late to apply for 2012?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you took it 3 times to get over 30, for example 25, 27, 31 that's not so bad. Many people have to retake.

But if you took it 3 times and your scores were, for example, 30, 32, 33...it looks strange that you were retaking, and your 33 will not carry as much weight as someone who earned a 33 on the first try. However, you won't be completely written off either.

Do you just make stuff up and post it? How can you possibly know this?

Absurd.

C'mon! i'm a foreigner and i got 11 on VR! You can do it!
Your practice score is terrible. You are going to get a crappy score in 2 days..

I took the August 4th MCAT last year. I got first choice in the end.
Just saying, a late MCAT isn't a death kiss.
Also, spots will begin to open up as the test date approaches. People get freaked out and pay that 50 bucks to change it.
Watch for the deadline to change test date, and log on during those hours and things will begin to open up

I was doing much better with VR before I started taking practice tests. The more I "practiced" the worse it got. How did you practice the verbal?

I have a sGPA 3.7, working on my masters at an Ivy league school, doing research, just got a publication, did research undergrad, have other ECs including shadowing, physical therapist aid, volunteer work and other stuff. I took the mcat 2 years ago when I didn't take it seriously and got a 23 (i know, that's terrible) I didn't realize what the test was really like and didn't prepare like I should have. I'm planning to take the test Friday, but my practice scores aren't what I want them to be. I'm wondering if I take it and then have to take it once more to really get the score I want, if that is extremely negative.

I am applying this cycle :xf:, so I was trying to get my app in early. I'm stuck, because I'm not sure if I should take it Friday. I want to take it, because I COULD get a good grade, but I also MAY NOT get a good grade. If I don't get a good grade then I will be forced to take it again. I have called MCAT to see if there are any choices, but availabilities in my area (up to 7 hours away) are full until july 28th and then my app will be so late! So if I take it and could possibly get a score, that would be great. If I take it and don't do well, and then have to do it again, I'll have taken it 3 times. So I'm not sure what to do.

Do not take it on Friday. You are not ready.

Do not take it on Friday. You are not ready.

I would agree....
So what would your advice be as far as when to take it. I might be able to sign up 7 hours away for a July 16th date. And the next available date (as of Tuesday) that I can sign up for around my area is July 28th. Is that too late to apply for 2012?

I would agree....

Either of those dates would be fine. Just make sure that you have your primary application ready to go by then (submit with current score to one school, add the others in after you get the new score). Also, you can pre-write the essays for your secondary application using the prompts from last year's school specific threads. That'll save you enough time that you shouldn't be too late.

How can I get all secondaries done before I get the score if I only apply to one school on my primary? Can you find the secondary questions online?

This exactly (well except the bogus "read a lot of journals/magazines etc. crap), but the sentence summary really works in terms of finding what you need in case you need to go back to the passage from the questions PLUS helps you critically read every paragraph and not get lazy one boring ones since you are training (and know) that after you read it you WILL have to write a short 3 word summary of the paragraph, if you can't, then you know you are not critically reading and well you need to start all over. READ CRITICALLY you are supposed to be judging every word!!!!

It helps to summarize each paragraph with one sentence (so if there are 6 paragraphs you'll have 6 sentences). Keep them as short as possible. You will get the overall point of each paragraph and it whenever you're looking for a specific paragraph that you think has an answer, you can just read your sentences.

VR requires the ability to read a ton of stuff, but does not require you to remember every sentence you've read. Read at a fast pace, but don't get caught up trying to understand everything. Your time limit is ridiculously short, and you must keep a decent pace in order to get through all 7 passages.

It also requires a lot of practice. Read the newspaper and online articles, try and summarize each paragraph. Also remember that with the answers you're looking for the least wrong, not the one that's the most right (b/c maybe all of them have some truth to them). Even if the answer that looks the least wrong has a bizarre answer, pick it. Chances are they did that on purpose to throw you off.

Good luck! :thumbup:

How can I get all secondaries done before I get the score if I only apply to one school on my primary? Can you find the secondary questions online?

Yep. The awesomeness of SDN allows you to type in the keywords in the search bar in the top right, and you'll find it. E.g. University of Miami secondary questions

I would agree....

You're probably not going to get a good answer to your question because:

1) How late is too late depends on the score you get. The higher your MCAT, the later you can turn an application in and still weasel your way in the door of at least one school. Without knowing your potential it's tough to say when you should take the test.

2) How long you should wait to take the test also depends on how quickly you can increase your verbal score. If the issue is that you just need to get more comfortable with the test format July 16th might be fine. On the other hand if you need to work on reading comprehension this is a process that might take an entire cycle to remedy. Sometimes fixing a verbal score just means reading a lot of really difficult books and articles.

If it were me I would sign up for mid July, but be prepared to wait and apply for the next cycle if my practice scores hadn't gotten consistently better by then.

You need to learn how to obtain the MAIN IDEA. Read the economist without reading the little summary/main idea and try to find it yourself after reading it. Then check if you were right or not.

Practice that and your score should go up on the VR. English is my second language and I gotten higher scores on the VR section than on the others doing that. But it takes time!!

Good luck