Third year clinical grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guitarguy23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize they are important, yes, but my question relates to specific ones. I finish on Pysch and OB, not the most important rotations for a future in ophtho. My question is: how important are honors in these for matching? A strong applicant otherwise (top 10% in class, very strong step 1, a few research experiences with ophtho research in there).

Has anyone with less than honors in these clerkships had issues during interviews or applying? I'm not a lazy person but these specialties don't suite my preferences and I was wanting to gauge how this would affect my app if things were less than perfect at the end of third year here :) thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just do your best. It's hard to answer a question like this. I don't think honors in these two rotations will make or break your application, but it looks good to honor as many rotations as possible.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm applying broadly and I have a pass in obgyn; high pass in surgery, medicine, psych; honors in anesthesia, neuro, ophtho, and FM. I gave it my best and will be praying that I match. If you have honors in everything else except the 2 that you mentioned, you're in a lot better shape than I am :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying broadly and I have a pass in obgyn; high pass in surgery, medicine, psych; honors in anesthesia, neuro, ophtho, and FM. I gave it my best and will be praying that I match. If you have honors in everything else except the 2 that you mentioned, you're in a lot better shape than I am :)

Everyone has their strengths! I think I'm just looking for an excuse to be lazy before 4th year :)

It doesn't help that our M4's graduated today either!

Reactions: 1 user
Theres so many grading systems at so many schools. Its hard for anyone to keep track of which schools give honors or not or are just pass no pass or whatever. If you got a couple of honors mixed in there that's gravy.

Theres so many grading systems at so many schools. Its hard for anyone to keep track of which schools give honors or not or are just pass no pass or whatever. If you got a couple of honors mixed in there that's gravy.

Agree with this completely. So, average grades are not a red flag...

That being said, you should just try your best at everything. This is coming from someone who just figured this out like last week ;)

Reactions: 2 users