Third year electives

Started by Espressso
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Espressso

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Second year DO student here.

At our school, we have two, two week electives that we can complete anywhere we want, instead of having to stay at our base hospital. The trick is, you have to go about basically scheduling it yourself. Ideally, I'd want to spend those two elective periods doing rotations in subspecialties I'm interested in, rather than an informal audition rotation, as you might do during fourth year.

My question is, how are you supposed to schedule that, exactly? We have yet to receive any information about this, but from my understanding, is it just cold-calling doctors offices and saying you want to rotate with Dr. X?

Has anyone had any similar experiences with their third year rotations? Thanks in advance!
 
Second year DO student here.

At our school, we have two, two week electives that we can complete anywhere we want, instead of having to stay at our base hospital. The trick is, you have to go about basically scheduling it yourself. Ideally, I'd want to spend those two elective periods doing rotations in subspecialties I'm interested in, rather than an informal audition rotation, as you might do during fourth year.

My question is, how are you supposed to schedule that, exactly? We have yet to receive any information about this, but from my understanding, is it just cold-calling doctors offices and saying you want to rotate with Dr. X?

Has anyone had any similar experiences with their third year rotations? Thanks in advance!

You can apply through VSAS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought VSAS was specifically for audition rotations for fourth year? Excuse my ignorance to the topic.

Some third years use it for scheduling away rotations. I’ve used it for both non-audition and audition rotations. There’s some programs that have two week electives on there.