Third year electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Espressso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Second year DO student here.

At our school, we have two, two week electives that we can complete anywhere we want, instead of having to stay at our base hospital. The trick is, you have to go about basically scheduling it yourself. Ideally, I'd want to spend those two elective periods doing rotations in subspecialties I'm interested in, rather than an informal audition rotation, as you might do during fourth year.

My question is, how are you supposed to schedule that, exactly? We have yet to receive any information about this, but from my understanding, is it just cold-calling doctors offices and saying you want to rotate with Dr. X?

Has anyone had any similar experiences with their third year rotations? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Second year DO student here.

At our school, we have two, two week electives that we can complete anywhere we want, instead of having to stay at our base hospital. The trick is, you have to go about basically scheduling it yourself. Ideally, I'd want to spend those two elective periods doing rotations in subspecialties I'm interested in, rather than an informal audition rotation, as you might do during fourth year.

My question is, how are you supposed to schedule that, exactly? We have yet to receive any information about this, but from my understanding, is it just cold-calling doctors offices and saying you want to rotate with Dr. X?

Has anyone had any similar experiences with their third year rotations? Thanks in advance!

You can apply through VSAS.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought VSAS was specifically for audition rotations for fourth year? Excuse my ignorance to the topic.

Some third years use it for scheduling away rotations. I’ve used it for both non-audition and audition rotations. There’s some programs that have two week electives on there.

Reactions: 1 user
Many hospitals that have GME also offer med student rotations, and have application forms for rotations online. Try to find one of those, or to get ahold of their med student coordinator.