This is how I think the loan programs would work.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Obnoxious Dad

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Here is a preliminary calculation of borrowing, debt and repayment of debt. This calculation assumes that all debts can be paid off over 30 years and:

a) Med Students can borrow $8,500 per year under the subsidized Stafford loan at 6.5% and interest on the subsidized Staffords does not begin accruing until the end of residency;

b) Med Students can borrow $38,500 per year under the unsubsidized Stafford loan at 6.5% and interest on the subsidized Staffords begins accruing upon disbursal at the beginning of the school year; and

c) Grad Plus loans accrue interest at 8.5% per year upon disbursal.

With subsidized Stafford loans total indebtedness upon graduation from med school and residency would simply equal the sum of med school borrowings. Due to the non-accrual of interest in med school and residency the debt owed upon the end of residency would at the maximum be $34,000 and monthly payments over 30 years on that debt would be $214.90 or 2.53% of the annual borrowing of $8,500.

With unsubsidized Stafford loans total indebtedness upon graduation from med school would equal (assuming interest accruing at 6.5% and steady borrowing through med school) 4.69 times annual borrowings. Upon graduation from a five year residency program total debt would equal 6.43 times annual borrowings. If you borrowed $38,500 under the unsubsidized program you would owe $180,705 upon graduation from med school and $247,582 upon graduation from a five year residency. The monthly payment over 30 years would be $1,142 or 2.97% of the annual borrowing of $38,500.

With Grad Plus loans total indebtedness upon graduation from med school would equal (assuming interest accruing at 8.5% and steady borrowing through med school) 4.93 times annual borrowings. Upon graduation from a five year residency program total debt would equal 6.75 times annual borrowings. If you borrowed $20,000 under the Grad Plus program you would owe $98,507 upon graduation from med school and $134,964 upon graduation from a five year residency. The monthly payment over 30 years would be $757 or 3.79% of the annual borrowing of $20,000.

Please tell me if I am wrong about this. 😕
 
Hi Obnoxious Dad,
Thanks for joining us over here. I'm sure you can provide a lot of super helpful information. 🙂

Anyway, I'm not a wiz at doing interest calculations, and I'm assuming you're doing it right. The one minor correction I'd make is that you can borrow $40,500/year total in subsidized loans when you're on a 9 or 10 month schedule, $8500 of which can be subsidized. So assuming you get awarded that full $8500 in subsidized loans (almost everyone does), you'd borrow $32,000/year in unsubsidized staffords. Also, you can borrow around $5k more dollars in unsubsidized staffords your 3rd and 4th year since you're on a 12 month schedule. So an average student would borrow the $34k in subsidized loans and about $138k in unsubsidized loans.
 
Hi Obnoxious Dad,
Thanks for joining us over here. I'm sure you can provide a lot of super helpful information. 🙂

Anyway, I'm not a wiz at doing interest calculations, and I'm assuming you're doing it right. The one minor correction I'd make is that you can borrow $40,500/year total in subsidized loans when you're on a 9 or 10 month schedule, $8500 of which can be subsidized. So assuming you get awarded that full $8500 in subsidized loans (almost everyone does), you'd borrow $32,000/year in unsubsidized staffords. Also, you can borrow around $5k more dollars in unsubsidized staffords your 3rd and 4th year since you're on a 12 month schedule. So an average student would borrow the $34k in subsidized loans and about $138k in unsubsidized loans.

I was told by the financial aids office at our local med school that the stafford yearly maxima (9th grade Latin) are $8,500 subsidized and $38,500 unsubsidized. The total Stafford would therefore be $47,000.

BTW these calculations are fairly easy to do in EXCEL.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was told by the financial aids office at our local med school that the stafford yearly maxima (9th grade Latin) are $8,500 subsidized and $38,500 unsubsidized. The total Stafford would therefore be $47,000.

BTW these calculations are fairly easy to do in EXCEL.

Hmm, maybe they said it wrong. As someone who's getting the maximum, I can attest that it's $32,000 in unsubsidized and $8500 in subsidized. Now if you don't qualify for subsidized loans, you can get the full $40,500 in unsubsidized loans. I wish it were $47,000. 🙂

Vanderbilt gives a nice explanation of the totals.

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/medschool/finaid/finaid_for_med.php

Also, the $40,500 total is new for the 2007-08 year. Last year, it was $38,500. If a school is giving you the $38,500 total, their information is a little dated. A lot of schools haven't updated their websites yet with the change, so if you do a search, you'll come with lots of places giving the $38,500 total.
 
Hmm, maybe they said it wrong. As someone who's getting the maximum, I can attest that it's $32,000 in unsubsidized and $8500 in subsidized. Now if you don't qualify for subsidized loans, you can get the full $40,500 in unsubsidized loans. I wish it were $47,000. 🙂

Vanderbilt gives a nice explanation of the totals.

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/medschool/finaid/finaid_for_med.php

Also, the $40,500 total is new for the 2007-08 year. Last year, it was $38,500. If a school is giving you the $38,500 total, their information is a little dated. A lot of schools haven't updated their websites yet with the change, so if you do a search, you'll come with lots of places giving the $38,500 total.

I went to the Vanderbilt website and it appears that you are correct. The max for unsubsidized is reduced by the amount of the subsidized Stafford loans taken.

I don't think Oklahoma will beat Kansas in the Big 12 Championship, however.