This is how to study for PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jasonbourne

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
General Chemistry

Learn from the notes your professors gave you in class. Study guides like kaplan have been oversummarized and wouldnt give you perfect understanding of concepts. You should master Mole concept calculations, Gases, Electronic structure, Bonding &vsepr theory, Thermodynamics, solutions and reaction rates. I recommend General Chemistry by silberberg including a solution manual. The questions in this textbook are extremely similar in format when compared to the PCAT. I can also guarantee that the questions have the same strength with the PCAT questions. I had a 95% in Chemistry so trust me when I tell you this book was the only one i used for general chemistry. Remember, the more questions you answer, the better your understanding of concepts. This would guarantee a score in improvement.

Organic Chemistry

You should focus here on nomenclature. Nomenclature usually carries about half the organic chem questions. Learn how to name all organic compounds.

Learn how to synthesize the main organic compounds
Alcohols, carboxylic acids, ethers, esters, etc. Learn the main. The would not take you into super detail in organic chemistry. You should also know how to move to and fro between alcohols, ketones, aldehydes. This is very important. Learn the difference between primary, secondary, tetiary alcohols and other compuonds, etc.
I recommend shaum's organic chemistry questions. Search at your local Barnes and nobles. This book is very helpful. For the organic chemistry section, you need a lot of practice.

Biology

For this portion, I emphasize a lot of reading. Read all the notes your teachers give. Avoid study guides only. You must read your textbook and study guide combined. Cliff notes biology is a very good book for this. I had 99% in biology. I read the entire cliff notes book. Another excellent book is " Life: the science of biology- The cell" This book is excellent. Trust me, it is excellent. It covers all biochemical processes of cells. You could also use campbell Reece. The most important topics to focus on, evolution, all human systems, respiration, enzymes. Read lightly on plant material. Usually there are very few (max 1-2) questions on plants. Sometimes non. However, plants are vital to pharmacy so dont ignore plants totally. Here you also need as many questions as possible.

Mathematics

For mathematics, I dont have any strategy. Study by practice. Practice in Math makes perfect. Whatever book you use, Make sure you practice and practice and practice. The calculus and statistics questions are very brief and usually dont require getting too deep. In statistics, learn the basic probability, mode, mean, median. Dont go tryna learn those lohg standard deviation processes involving tables. Learn only the basic short calculations. All you gotta do is practice.

English

Read the wall street journal everyday. Exam crackers 101 mcat passages is a good book you can use for PCAT. For the verbal analogies. Learn words and their roots. English requires learning over a long period of time. You cant learn it in one month.


Note: You must use study guides and your textbooks. Dont rely on study guides only. Some people are smart naturally while others need some effort. If i am you, I would take the second option( you need effort). Study for at least 3 months to get excellent results. I had a 90% composite. God Bless you all🙂🙂🙂

" The Lord is the author of my destiny"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi JasonBourne!

You mind sharing your stats like if you have a bachelor's and where you went to school and grades?

By the way, great post and thanks for the tip! Did you use any prep courses like Kaplan at all?
 
What book did you use for the human anatomy partion? Did you use a book for Microbiology or was Microbiology was even on the exam?

Thanks.