This is my MCAT plan, what do you guys think

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Last Reclaimer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. So I am starting my MCAT studies shortly but wanted some feedback on my plan. I am a psychology major and scored a 129 on the half-length NS exam for the psych/soc, so I will briefly look over that material but I'm pretty confident. I plan on taking the exam on August 1st. Here are my questions and thank you so much to those that read and respond!

1.) Is 3 months of full time study enough? My target score is 505 for the programs I am looking at

2.) I will be using Kaplan for my content review and I heard the Jack Sparrow deck is based on the Kaplan books. I would like to however make my own note cards, is that possible or will that take way too long? I learn well with anki decks, they seriously help me remember everything. I wanted to Khan academy for BB and CP , but I heard the documents for it are unfinished and not reliable, which would be an issue for me since I would like to make flash cards.

3.) I will be using 4 NS exams and the 5 AAMC exams as practice. I will use Jack Westin for CARS and the AAMC cars last. Anyone with Jack Westin Experience

4.) I do not think I am going to have enough time to go through all of the AAMC practice since I am on a time crunch. I also heard the practice materials (not including the 5 exams of course) are hella harder than the real thing. I will attempt to do them at the very end if possible but I am not sure.

I am really nervous, please don't be too harsh. Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all. So I am starting my MCAT studies shortly but wanted some feedback on my plan. I am a psychology major and scored a 129 on the half-length NS exam for the psych/soc, so I will briefly look over that material but I'm pretty confident. I plan on taking the exam on August 1st. Here are my questions and thank you so much to those that read and respond!

1.) Is 3 months of full time study enough? My target score is 505 for the programs I am looking at

2.) I will be using Kaplan for my content review and I heard the Jack Sparrow deck is based on the Kaplan books. I would like to however make my own note cards, is that possible or will that take way too long? I learn well with anki decks, they seriously help me remember everything. I wanted to Khan academy for BB and CP , but I heard the documents for it are unfinished and not reliable, which would be an issue for me since I would like to make flash cards.

3.) I will be using 4 NS exams and the 5 AAMC exams as practice. I will use Jack Westin for CARS and the AAMC cars last. Anyone with Jack Westin Experience

4.) I do not think I am going to have enough time to go through all of the AAMC practice since I am on a time crunch. I also heard the practice materials (not including the 5 exams of course) are hella harder than the real thing. I will attempt to do them at the very end if possible but I am not sure.

I am really nervous, please don't be too harsh. Thanks all
Three months is kind of rushing it, but I'm assuming you have taken all of the prerequisites including biochemistry? If you haven't taken biochemistry you absolutely should not take the MCAT. I used kaplan but also feel like it's a bit overwhelming as far as content. You should google kaplan quick sheets as it shows a lot of the high yield material and then study those subjects that you've forgotten or are unfamiliar. CARS is easier to bring up just with timing. Jack westin is okay, but what I did for CARS was I only gave myself 10 minutes per passage on NS and then I moved on to the next passage, doing this allowed me to not get too far behind as you'll lose a lot of points by randomly guessing because you've run out of time. This boosted my cars instantly from 121 to 127. Overall I loved uworld MCAT the most for general review and question banks because I thought it was most like the MCAT as far as how the questions are written and its post question explanations are incredible, my % correct on uworld was my exact percentile on the MCAT lol. I liked next step exams because I thought they (to me) were the most reflective out of all of the practice exams, I did one kaplan test and it was hella hard, I think I made like a 486 or something like that the first one I took. I would be doing 1-2 practice tests per week until you take the MCAT because it's good for getting the timing down and they are gold when reviewing. The AAMC exams do not take them until the month before your MCAT as they are the gold standard for how well you're going to do. If you are not hitting 505 on the AAMC exams YOU'RE NOT READY. My AAMC average was my MCAT score. I'm not trying to scare you but my MCAT was much harder than any of the practice exams, probably because of a good mixture of nerves and the fact that the passages were longer than I was expecting with a fair amount of useless experimental data thrown in to mess you up. My psych/social averages on the practice exams were 127+, but a measly 125 on the real deal which I can't explain because I thought I had killed it.