Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm taking a graduate level neuroanatomy class this semester as well as the lab that accompanies this course. Seeing as most of the students in the lab section are graduate students in the neuroscience department...exams for the course test very intricate details regarding the structure and function of practically everything in the spinal chord and the brain.
The lab practical was pretty brutal and plenty of students in the lab got scores under 80%. Luckily, I managed to emerge from the lab practical relatively unscathed (compared to my peers). Way before the lab practical, a few other students and myself organized study groups that met on Sundays for about 3-4 hours to go over all the labs. I felt that the members in my study group really knew the material pretty well because we spent so many hours going over it and made sure to help each other whenever someone was stuck or didn't fully understand something.
Well...we got the lab practicals handed back to us on Tuesday and one of the students I studied with got a pretty low score...I won't say how low it was..but it was pretty low. I felt really bad for him because I knew how much he studied for it and I literally sat with him for hours on end going over the vasculature of the brain, the ventricular system, the venous drainage system of the brain, the structure and function of all the meningeal layers, the relevant histology (fibrous and protoplasmic astrocytes, stellate cells, pyramidal cells, etc), as well as other material that was also covered.
I KNOW that he studied very hard...but here is what makes me REALLLLLLY pissed off...towards the the end of today's lab...the GSI (graduate student instructor) for the lab approaches this student and says, "Ya know...you didn't really do so well on the lab practical so we're sort of planning on having another lab practical for students that didn't do well. This 2nd score won't replace your first low score...but we're hoping that you can use it to get down the fundamentals before we move on." What pisses me off is that the ****ing bitch GSI said this IN FRONT OF ALL THE STUDENTS that were left in the lab (some students left earlier because they finished early).
I looked at the student's face and I could literally see the mixed feeling of humiliation and depression on his face. 😡 😡 Was that comment from the GSI really necessary? Why didn't she pull him aside and talk to him in private (outside of the lab) if she was so "concerned" about him??? Why humiliate the kid in front of his peers? I felt like yelling at her right then and there. 😡 The other students in my study group consoled the poor kid after the bitch GSI was done expressing her "concern." I would have NO problem with her telling him that in private..but was it really necessary to publicly humiliate him? 😡 😡 😡
The lab practical was pretty brutal and plenty of students in the lab got scores under 80%. Luckily, I managed to emerge from the lab practical relatively unscathed (compared to my peers). Way before the lab practical, a few other students and myself organized study groups that met on Sundays for about 3-4 hours to go over all the labs. I felt that the members in my study group really knew the material pretty well because we spent so many hours going over it and made sure to help each other whenever someone was stuck or didn't fully understand something.
Well...we got the lab practicals handed back to us on Tuesday and one of the students I studied with got a pretty low score...I won't say how low it was..but it was pretty low. I felt really bad for him because I knew how much he studied for it and I literally sat with him for hours on end going over the vasculature of the brain, the ventricular system, the venous drainage system of the brain, the structure and function of all the meningeal layers, the relevant histology (fibrous and protoplasmic astrocytes, stellate cells, pyramidal cells, etc), as well as other material that was also covered.
I KNOW that he studied very hard...but here is what makes me REALLLLLLY pissed off...towards the the end of today's lab...the GSI (graduate student instructor) for the lab approaches this student and says, "Ya know...you didn't really do so well on the lab practical so we're sort of planning on having another lab practical for students that didn't do well. This 2nd score won't replace your first low score...but we're hoping that you can use it to get down the fundamentals before we move on." What pisses me off is that the ****ing bitch GSI said this IN FRONT OF ALL THE STUDENTS that were left in the lab (some students left earlier because they finished early).
I looked at the student's face and I could literally see the mixed feeling of humiliation and depression on his face. 😡 😡 Was that comment from the GSI really necessary? Why didn't she pull him aside and talk to him in private (outside of the lab) if she was so "concerned" about him??? Why humiliate the kid in front of his peers? I felt like yelling at her right then and there. 😡 The other students in my study group consoled the poor kid after the bitch GSI was done expressing her "concern." I would have NO problem with her telling him that in private..but was it really necessary to publicly humiliate him? 😡 😡 😡