This is the PSYCHIATRISTS FORUM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poety

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was peeking around the anesthesiologist forum as usual, and guess what I found! Lee Burnett (the administrator) has put an end to the Crna's going in there and starting flame wars with the MD anesthesiologists... ya know, we can do that too and prevent the ologists (or PH) from taunting the psychiatrists with all that prescription bs. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Poety said:
So I was peeking around the anesthesiologist forum as usual, and guess what I found! Lee Burnett (the administrator) has put an end to the Crna's going in there and starting flame wars with the MD anesthesiologists... ya know, we can do that too and prevent the ologists (or PH) from taunting the psychiatrists with all that prescription bs. :smuggrin:

By that logic, Steven Sharfstein, MD, President of the American Psychiatric Association, is "taunting" you by writing an editorial on psychologist prescribing in the official newspaper of the American Psychiatric Association. Stop being so elitist.

I'll let Sazi, our fearless mod, decide this. Fact is that psychologist RxP is an issue that is here to stay. Relegating discussion of it to the psychology forum in an Internet forum will not make it go away.

Taunting? Like nanny nanny boo boo taunting? That's how you characterize it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Psyclops said:
Taunting? Like nanny nanny boo boo taunting? That's how you characterize it?

EXACTLY - just like nanny nanny poo poo :p

PH shut yer trap you psychologist :sleep:

Poety said:
PH shut yer trap you psychologist :sleep:

Hey, now I may have to reconsider helping you pay off that debt! :laugh:

You know P,
It occurs to me that to be entirely acurate it's the psychiatry forum. This is mostly just semantics, but it also implies that it's for discussiing psychiatry and related issues, not the exclusively for psychiatrists.

This is General psisci, troops, pull back....repeat, pull back. We have established a new DMZ into enemy territory!!!

Honestly folks, PH, psyclops etc... I disagree with Sazi, Poety etc, but they are good people and we are annoying them for our own amusement. I can't tell anyone what to do, but I vote we shelve this for now...it will come up again I am sure.

Poety said:

I've asked for this before. The psychology forum has it's own sticky on this matter, yet everytime PH gets a new statistic or article he chooses to post it here. I say keep the discussion in the psychology forum and if we have something to contribute we will do it there.

This topic as been discussed over and over here to no end. Everyone here has input on the issue. I say, until the critical day when psychology has all but destroyed psychiatry and we unleash our secret weapon which is designed to wipe out RxP in psychology, lets just concentrate primarily on medically relevant psychiatry issues.

Psyclops said:
You know P,
It occurs to me that to be entirely acurate it's the psychiatry forum. This is mostly just semantics, but it also implies that it's for discussiing psychiatry and related issues, not the exclusively for psychiatrists.

Well, to be even more accurate, it's a subforum of Graduate Medical Forums (MD/DO). And according to Lee (the bossman) re the anesthesiology forum:

This is a forum for physicians and medical students. All medical professionals are welcome, but please respect the membership's desire to discuss topics which encourage healthy and productive discussions.

I like that we have some psychologists here to offer a different perspective on things, but lately that different perspective has been almosty exclusively centered around rxp. I personally don't even read those threads anymore because it's like an abortion "debate" - bunch of people whose minds are never going to be changed shouting past each other.

Yeah, I think some of the psychiatry peeps could be a little less territorial, but I also think that some of the psychology peeps could be a little less provocative. Perhaps we could take a lead from the anesthesia folks and agree to disagree on that particular issue and spend our energies on more constructive discussions.

Can't we all just get along? :)

As a psychologist who works in an academic dept. of psychiatry, I very much enjoy participating in threads over here "on the other side." In fact, some threads over here are more relevant to my work than some of the threads over there. I also think that there's a lot of useful information exchanged in the spirit of cross-disciplinary dialogue.

I don't think it's useful to ban psychologists from posting - especially because the reality is that psychologists and psychiatrists work together every day. Though I wholeheartedly agree that the RxP stuff has got to stop.

Hurricane said:
Well, to be even more accurate, it's a subforum of Graduate Medical Forums (MD/DO). And according to Lee (the bossman) re the anesthesiology forum:

I like that we have some psychologists here to offer a different perspective on things, but lately that different perspective has been almosty exclusively centered around rxp. I personally don't even read those threads anymore because it's like an abortion "debate" - bunch of people whose minds are never going to be changed shouting past each other.

Yeah, I think some of the psychiatry peeps could be a little less territorial, but I also think that some of the psychology peeps could be a little less provocative. Perhaps we could take a lead from the anesthesia folks and agree to disagree on that particular issue and spend our energies on more constructive discussions.

Can't we all just get along? :)

I second these emotions. Well done on the semantic trump!

Psyclops said:
I second these emotions. Well done on the semantic trump!

Smokey Robinson is one cool cat. :)

Hurricane said:
Smokey Robinson is one cool cat. :)

You're one cool cat Hurricane where the hell ya been? :p :thumbup:

Hurricane said:
I personally don't even read those threads anymore because it's like an abortion "debate" - bunch of people whose minds are never going to be changed shouting past each other.

You know what's funny about htis, is that when I started coming to these forums I didn't think psychologists should have RxP, but my mind changed. I guess that's not the kind of mind changing you were talking about.

Solideliquid said:
lets just concentrate primarily on medically relevant psychiatry issues.

Yeah, like discussing the merits of different videogame systems.

Solideliquid said:
yet everytime PH gets a new statistic or article he chooses to post it here.

Because it's an article in a PSYCHIATRIC publication by the PRESIDENT of the American PSYCHIATRIC Association! Clearly, if the President of the American Psychiatric Association and the psychiatrists with whom he associates think that psychologist RxP is an important issue, then who are some medical students/psychiatric residents to say that it's not a topic that warrants discussion?

You know, the rxp is becoming so boring here that I'd RATHER talk about video games.

PublicHealth said:
Clearly, if the President of the American Psychiatric Association and the psychiatrists with whom he associates think that psychologist RxP is an important issue, then who are some medical students/psychiatric residents to say that it's not a topic that warrants discussion?

Most of the posts in the rxp threads are not "discussion." I broke my boycott and read the current rxp thread out of curiousity, and it's full of personal attacks.

I'm all for discussion, but that's not what's going on here. I think it's great that Psyclops was able to wade through it and get something out of it. But as for me, I'm going back to my policy of not reading the rxp or iatrist vs ologist threads, except on weeks when Desperate Housewives was a rerun, and I need my drama fix.

It's unfortunate that this one issue has such an ability to sour the rest of the discussions on this board.

PublicHealth said:
Because it's an article in a PSYCHIATRIC publication by the PRESIDENT of the American PSYCHIATRIC Association! Clearly, if the President of the American Psychiatric Association and the psychiatrists with whom he associates think that psychologist RxP is an important issue, then who are some medical students/psychiatric residents to say that it's not a topic that warrants discussion?
Isn't this president more of a politician than the god of psychiatry? I personally don't really care what he has to say, but I have authority issues. :laugh: Anyway, discuss on....
I would rather talk about how we can raise our salaries. Who is in charge of this aspect of my life?

Triathlon said:
Isn't this president more of a politician than the god of psychiatry? I personally don't really care what he has to say, but I have authority issues. :laugh: Anyway, discuss on....
I would rather talk about how we can raise our salaries. Who is in charge of this aspect of my life?

here here! :smuggrin: