This might be a crazy question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent085

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be a crazy question for u guys but
can someone pass the exam by studying First aid cover to cover and usmleworld alone? Not that i am lazy or something but i seriously have a memory problem- i cannot remember stuff i study two weeks ago. i study 10-12 hours a day and exam is in a few weeks.

usmleworld percentage is 58 right now and i read first aid 2 times already.i read some other books like kaplan biochem, high yield series a month ago but i cannot remember most of the stuff so i decided to just stick with good old first aid and usmleworld.
i wanted to read those books again but i feel like its a waste of time.I listened to golijan audio once.
i hope u guys can give me some advice.

Members don't see this ad.

can someone pass the exam by studying First aid cover to cover and usmleworld alone? Not that i am lazy or something but i seriously have a memory problem- i cannot remember stuff i study two weeks ago. i study 10-12 hours a day and exam is in a few weeks.

usmleworld percentage is 58 right now and i read first aid 2 times already.i read some other books like kaplan biochem, high yield series a month ago but i cannot remember most of the stuff so i decided to just stick with good old first aid and usmleworld.
i wanted to read those books again but i feel like its a waste of time.I listened to golijan audio once.

you ARE LAZY and if you can t recall things what makes you going to recall 1st aid and 2000 questions?....just study and put in your time without excuses

UW + FA cover to cover should be enough for the test, you also stated you've listened to G'audio so you should be good, just hit uw+fa hard, have you taken any practice exams?

UW + FA cover to cover should be enough for the test, you also stated you've listened to G'audio so you should be good, just hit uw+fa hard, have you taken any practice exams?
thank you kryptik for your reply.Usmleworld assessment1-190(4 weeks ago)
assessment2-218(1week ago)

DRJJ1 i am not giving any excuses.I just want people from forum to know how i am in terms of forgetting stuff so they can give me advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
you ARE LAZY and if you can t recall things what makes you going to recall 1st aid and 2000 questions?....just study and put in your time without excuses

OP is studying 10-12 hrs a day so not fair to say OP is lazy. Maybe the reason OP cannot remember the stuff in those books is b/c they were low yield for him/her. With a 58% on UW OP obviously remembers stuff they have learned.

OP - FA + UW + Goljan Audio can be enough. I would take a couple nbme's and see where your weaknesses are and address those with supplemental sources if needed.

But if you really have a hard time remembering stuff I would make sure to go thru FA a few more times. I felt that 95%+ of my questions could be answered by FA+UW. If you have time you can also make flash cards for areas of FA that you are really struggling to remember

i think we all forget stuff some quicker than others, repetition is always the key for me, so definitely keep going over FA and UW, you've improved your practice scores so definitely try to finish UW, then go over the wrong questions. how much time do you have before your exam?

i agree with 2012mdc, for my exam ~80-90% was covered by uw/fa one way or the other

thanks so much kryptik and 2012mdc.i feel much better knowing that i am on the right track.Exam is on the 29th.I have been struggling with mood swings for last couple of weeks and was given zoloft for depression.
i will definitely finish usmleworld and will go through first aid again before my exam. whatelse u guys think i should do?

with your time frame, finishing uw and going over FA is all you should do, going over FA should include the images in the back, good luck

OP, you should be fine as long as you study hard and take practice exams so you know approximately where you stand. I only did FA + UW + Goljan audio and got a 245. I tried reading a few chapters of Goljan RR but it was just too much for me.

You can definitely pass the exam using only First Aid + UW...actually...you can score well above average with these 2 resources alone.

Can you pass? Definitely. Heck, you can do VERY well if you truly know everything in UWorld and First Aid.

But really, who can really memorize everything in UWorld and First Aid straight up? The other sources are to help reinforce ideas.

In your situation though, I would focused on First Aid and UWorld. Do 200 UWorld questions a day and read the explanations in their entirety. That is a lot of reading and I think it'll help reinforce a lot of ideas.

p.s. Don't settle for passing. C'mon man what kind of attitude is that?

p.p.s. 58% on UWorld is solid. You won't have trouble passing. Take an NBME and see what's your weakness.

thanks man
i am reviewing 4 topics of first aid and 200 qs of usmleworld a day.Thanks for the advice/motivation which i really needed.
god bless you

uworld and FA are good enough. Goljan RR path is good to bring alot of the connections together (biochm,phys,micro).

If you knew everything in uworld alone you'd pass. Easier said than done.