This sucks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Vitaminka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay...who else here thinks it's really not right to have AADSAS average the grades for classes retaken? I had one quarter at UCLA that dipped due to a family crises. Never before, did I have a quarter GPA below 3.4. I retook the classes with As and due to this averaging, my GPA for sciences dropped 0.2 points and my overal GPA dropped 0.1. This makes me really sad and I have a feeling will totally screw me!

Members don't see this ad.

If there was a family crisis, you should mention in your AADSAS app under extraneous circumstances. Also, the schools will see that you retook the class and did better, even if your gpa didn't change much

Members don't see this ad :)
I think schools will also request an official transcript at some point in time, so they will make their own decisions.

:oops: Thanks guys! I did mention it in my PS and in the special circumstances section. I appreciate the comments. I feel a little better.

Dr.Vitaminka said:
Okay...who else here thinks it's really not right to have AADSAS average the grades for classes retaken? I had one quarter at UCLA that dipped due to a family crises. Never before, did I have a quarter GPA below 3.4. I retook the classes with As and due to this averaging, my GPA for sciences dropped 0.2 points and my overal GPA dropped 0.1. This makes me really sad and I have a feeling will totally screw me!

when you applied to med school last year, didn't AMCAS take the average of retaken courses also?

whiskeysour said:
when you applied to med school last year, didn't AMCAS take the average of retaken courses also?

burn!

Really cute... I love it when people talk without knowing all of the details. Do you think that knowing how to use the SDN search option will help you out in dental school? I always thought a good Dentist (or any medical professional) should be empathetic and compassionate, perhaps you can try to work on those qualities. First, I applied to med school 2 years ago. I didn't have repeated courses at that time. Since then a life changing event has taken place (hence, personal circumstances), which made me forgo my acceptance and take time off to piece myself together. This is when I decided to try dentistry and absolutely loved it. So maybe if you don't know the details, it's better to keep your caniving nature to yourself...Just a thought.

Dr.Vitaminka said:
Really cute... I love it when people talk without knowing all of the details. Do you think that knowing how to use the SDN search option will help you out in dental school? I always thought a good Dentist (or any medical professional) should be empathetic and compassionate, perhaps you can try to work on those qualities. First, I applied to med school 2 years ago. I didn't have repeated courses at that time. Since then a life changing event has taken place (hence, personal circumstances), which made me forgo my acceptance and take time off to piece myself together. This is when I decided to try dentistry and absolutely loved it. So maybe if you don't know the details, it's better to keep your caniving nature to yourself...Just a thought.

maybe if you stopped complaining in light of the fact that your gpa is still above average for dental school admissions we wouldn't pounce on you about your gpa worries. There are many ppl on here who have 3.0's or even less and THOSE ppl should be worried and offered advice. In any case, good luck with your application.

mlle said:
maybe if you stopped complaining in light of the fact that your gpa is still above average for dental school admissions we wouldn't pounce on you about your gpa worries. There are many ppl on here who have 3.0's or even less and THOSE ppl should be worried and offered advice. In any case, good luck with your application.

Yeah, okay that makes sense. Thank you mlle. I was just worried because if you look at the averages, most school have averages above 3.4 and there are a lot of applicants this cycle that have GPAs above 3.5. It seems pretty competitive and I really hope I get in this year. Thank you for your support, I do appreciate it. I'm sorry if my worry seems silly...seriously, not my intent!

Dr.Vitaminka said:

i'm sorry, it was a little out of line. by the way, Yes, I do know how to use the search function...but No, I did not use it to figure out you used to be pre-med....my time can be better spent than that!

i wish you the best of luck!
WS

p.s. when you first start posting on the dental forum you're signature link was linked to your MDapplicants.com profile, NOT predents.com.

I know...it took me a while to realize I never updated that part. Well my past is just that, my past. I don't try to hide it. It is what it is. I'm not embarrassed about being pre med. If anything, it made me stronger and it made me want to be a dentist that much more. Now worries...I forgive you.

:thumbdown: whiskeysour. poor post, nice apology.