Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

this will make you feel ok

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by lovechild404, Nov 30, 2005.

1. lovechild404

lovechild404 Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    ok, so i've applied to 12 schools, been rejected by 4 (loma linda, arizona, case, UCSF) and have completed the secondaries for the remaining schools. I applied in mid-july and took my DAT in september, but had problems with my LOR so my application was considered "complete" in Oct/Nov at several schools. i have below average stats : cum GPA=3.19 and Sci=2.8 and my DAT score is (AA/PA) = 19/18.

I have recieved NO interview invites and i've basically lost ALL hope for even an interview, let alone an acceptance!!!! Therefore, i could care less about what happens on Dec freakin first!...excuse me, but i'm a bit upset...is ANYONE in the same situation as me?
    also, i would appreciate any feedback regarding my chances for this cycle.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jeppedo

Jeppedo Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Just wait and find out, that's it. Most schools do not accept their entire class on Dec. 1st. I've heard of people being accepted right up to the day that classes start (and that is still 6 months away). Keep thinking positive.

4. polarnut

polarnut Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i'm not gonna be a pansy and tell you to wait and wait and keep your head up.

here's the fact: you won't get in this year. your stats are below average, and applying late didn't help you diddly squat. i don't want to sound like a jackass but i'm just gonna tell you straightout something you want to tell yourself but afraid to.

Forget about this cycle. Start thinking how you can improve your stats and other selection criteria. Go to a post-grad and pad up your GPA. Get a job that shows manual dexterity. Plan something and do it. The enxt cycle begins in June and that's less than 7-8 months away. Time is of essence, my friend.

Best of luck.

5. OOOOOO

OOOOOO Junior Member

Pre-Dental
    what other schools did you apply to?

6. Missserica

Missserica Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think a lot of people on SDN have been getting rejected from LL and Arizona, it seems like. However, if you had applied earlier, I think you could have gotten an interview at Case. And, UCSF is just really hard to get into. Aren't all the UC's hard to get into? Well, your DAT score is average, and your GPA is kinda low.. I would continue taking classes winter session and next semester to get your science GPA to at least a 3.0. However, I honestly think that you still have a chance. It's not too late in the game, in my opinion. Good luck.

7. lovechild404

lovechild404 Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    let me also add that i have international volunteering experience (china, afghanistan, and mexico) and have lots of dental assisting experience. i don't know what else i can do to beef up my application, i really think it is only my numbers that are keeping me down. i'm definitely not in denial. i know my chances for acceptance are quite low.

i've also applied to...
    UPENN
    tufts
    boston
    uw
    usc
    uop
    columbia (withdrew my applic though)
    michigan
    and i can't remember the last one

8. LadyxJC

LadyxJC Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

My honest opinion is that it's not too late. I'm not going to tell you that you'll be invited for an interview from all your other schools but I still think it's possible and even probable that you'll be invited to at least some of the schools. Yeah, it sux that your application had to be delayed because of your LOR... and yeah you probably would have had a better chance of getting in if your application was complete earlier but you can't undo anything now. What other schools did you apply to? I guess depending on the other schools, you should look forward to being invited to some of the schools. Maybe Dec. 1 won't bring you good news but remember Dec. 1 is the first day that acceptance letters are being sent out... not the last~

9. mountainman6789

mountainman6789 Membership Revoked
    Removed

this guy gives the worst sdn advice. He also keeps harassing me b/c I got in today. I hope he gets into my school so I can black his eye and bloody his nose. hahah Not really. Ill shake his hand and just kick him in the jimmy.

Seriously, dont listen to this guy. I have MUCH lower stats than you and I got several interviews. I say get back on AADSAS and apply to even more schools.

Dont give up!

10. polarnut

polarnut Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

11. polarnut

polarnut Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

12. polarnut

polarnut Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

apply to more schools? yeah, thats a good advice. there's a difference between words of encouragement like "dont lose your hope" and actual advice which you seem to have trouble deciphering.

she hasnt gotten any interviews, and for some reason her application got delayed a great deal. now from my experience those factors can mean one thing. although its not absolute, most likely she will not be getting in this year.

now instead of generic posts like "dont lose your faith" i gave her my two cents on what she can do for the next cycle.

that was my advice.

your advice was apply to more school.

and you threaten to physically harm me when i see you at temple? lol?

you are a joke. nobody here likes you. begone, troll.

13. mountainman6789

mountainman6789 Membership Revoked
    Removed

wow your posts are bad enough, but when I have to see the same one 3 times in a row I want to vomit :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

14. elinz

elinz Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey Lovechild!
    I"m in the same boat as you!
    UMICH GPA 3.26,science 2.8 Dat 19/19/19
    and a masters from duke...(though I doubt that'll help), some shadowing
    I'm applying to basically schools on the northeast, my apps just got sent out 3 days ago, haha I"m probably worse off than you,

well don't sweat it, i think we still have a chance, why worry about the inevitable right? I"m sure you did your best and that's really all you can do, and your ECs looks good. Just relax, ride out this cycle and reapply if you really want it next year,

did you apply to NYU? I think our stats are okay for that school. Anyways good luck and congrats to all you guys that got accepted somewhere already!

15. JMoney

JMoney Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Just ingnore mountainman6789 people. He/she will go away once no one replies to his/her lies and ignorant posts!!

Trolls die when they are not spoken to!! IGNORE HIM/HER!!

16. polarnut

polarnut Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

i'd vomit too if everyone was bashing at me for being ignorant.

17. iambatman

iambatman Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Both my Cumulative and Science GPA are 3.0, my DAT scores are similar to yours. I scored a 19 on PA, and my 'other' scores range from 17 - 19.

I also applied relatively early, although I wish I applied earlier! My files were completed about end of August and Mid September.

Ready? ---> I have recieved 4 interviews so far. I've been to three of them.

KEEP THE DREAM ALIVE.

You have allready applied - so swing with it. Don't look back now. There is NOTHING you can do now, except do VERY well in the classes you take NOW. There is a high chance that some schools may choose to re-evaluate you after Fall Grades...

...WORST CASE SCENERIO --> you don't get accepted...

Well, if you learn from your mistakes...apply EARLY (as in the FIRST DAY possible in May), get nothing but A's in FALL and SPRING to raise GPA, get more experience in dentistry (well, you do have a lot)...

...THEN: I GAURANTEE that not only will you get into dental school, you will get into one of your choice, and will have the luxury of deciding from SEVERAL acceptences...

...NOW, back to the present...KEEP THE FAITH. If there is ONE thing I've learned ---> anything is possible.

I didn't expect ANY interviews, and I have FOUR!

That said, just be patient, and don't let yourself get down. Don't be hard on yourself. You made a mistake, you acknowleged this, and now you will MOVE FOWARD.

I know it must be hard. I know the next few days will not feel good --> BUT HANG IN THERE BROTHER...

.... :thumbup: