this year... or next

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cypher828

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from college last summer, so I guess that makes me a nontrad (actually… I finished my undergrad in 3 years). I started out doing the typical premed stuff in college but was turned off by the process and decided to take some time off and peruse other things.

Well, now my desire for med school has come back. Actually, I don’t think it ever went away - there was just other stuff I wanted to do first. I feel behind in the application process for this year already, considering I just registered for the mcat and haven’t really done much of anything else that I should have or should be doing.

Im not sure my past really demonstrates a strong commitment to medicine, mostly because I wasn’t sure or what I wanted to do. I know if I took another year off, I could build a resume that would be very strong, but I feel like that might be a waste of time. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm - well if u haven't started studying yet for the April MCAT, I suggest you start right away. I started my studing in December of the year prior, but I only put in an hour or two in the beginning every day. So you can still make it.

Here are some things u need to do right away.

- have u finished all the prereqs? try to knock most of them back by april
- whats yr gpa? get it up as high as possible
- go to the amcas web site and take a look at the application, will give u a sense of what you need to apply
- if u haven't decent ECs, walk up to the nearest hospital and start gettin ginvolved
- start talking to your professors and others for reccos

all the best bud

Ok, thanks for the advice. I was kinda freakin out because everyone makes such a big deal about getting your app up on jun1 or whenever amcas opens, and I didn’t think I was gonna be able to do that. Ill probably wait till I get my mcat score to decide what im going to do.