Thomas Jefferson University - Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weallgrowup

Deciding on acceptances!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread for the Jefferson class that's matriculating this fall!

Anyone got an acceptance offer but still deciding?

Anyone already finalized their acceptance offer?

Members don't see this ad.

I sent in my deposit, so unless I get an acceptance from Maryland I'll be in Philly in the fall.

Im so there! Cant wait to get to know everyone in Philly in the Fall for Pharmacy school!! LOL thats a tongue twister! haha :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm accepted, but I still have 3 more interviews to go to before I decide. What made you choose to go to Thomas Jefferson?

I'm accepted, but I still have 3 more interviews to go to before I decide. What made you choose to go to Thomas Jefferson?

I hope this doesn't sound like a brochure for Jefferson, but I have visited there a few times, I'm from the area, and I am intrigued about what they have to offer versus the other schools where I interviewed (Temple, Touro, Rutgers, LIU, Creighton).

One big draw for me: Jefferson sets up your IPPE's (Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences) during your fall and spring P1 to P3 semesters, and they set up the sites for you and they've already built the IPPE's into the curriculum. At most other schools with older curriculums, you have to do your IPPE's on your own time (during summer breaks or on weekends), set them up yourself, and provide your own transportation (which sucks because you don't get paid for these). Ask about this at other schools.

Another big draw for me: "Integrated healthcare" is a hot topic, especially in pharmacy. Basically, we want to make sure that all healthcare professionals (pharmacists, physicians, nurses, etc.) communicate well with and respect each other. Every semester, Jefferson sets you up on a health mentor team. Every team is made up of a pharmacy student and other healthcare students from Jefferson's other schools (med student, nursing student, OT student, etc.). Each team is assigned a health mentor, who is a patient living with a chronic illness. You meet with your team for a few hours a week to speak with and learn from the patient, and each other, about patient care, integrated healthcare, etc. This is another very innovative aspect of Jefferson's curriculum that at any other school where I interviewed.

Also, it's part of the Jefferson Healthcare System, which is one of the top-ranked hospital/healthcare education systems in the country. As an example of that, they've built the new Hamilton Building. It's essentially a simulated hospital wing with a simulated hospital pharmacy, patient rooms, etc. Oh, and the patient rooms have actors who pose as patients, as well as robotic dummies that look, feel, and sound like real people. Beginning in your first semester, you take a class where you do hospital rounds with the other Jefferson students (med/nursing/OT/etc.) and you all try to diagnose the simulated patients!

Besides the great experience you get in hospital healthcare, Jefferson is located in the heart of the nation's pharmaceutical industry. Plus, Philadelphia is a great, fun city with some of the best restaurants and clubs.

I'll be there. The program looks great.

Ok... I can't waittttt to start school in the fall! haha.. this thread is looking a lil dead for now. I hope more people will join soon! :D

hi all! I was also accepted into the Jefferson class of 2013, but don't know if this will be my final decision:confused:...I absolutely loved the school/program/curriculum and am still seriously considering it, but i just found out i got accepted to Midwestern U (and also waiting on UIC and temple)...problem is, i am kinda hesitant to choose a non-accredited program over an accredited one...any thoughts/suggestions???

hi all! I was also accepted into the Jefferson class of 2013, but don't know if this will be my final decision:confused:...I absolutely loved the school/program/curriculum and am still seriously considering it, but i just found out i got accepted to Midwestern U (and also waiting on UIC and temple)...problem is, i am kinda hesitant to choose a non-accredited program over an accredited one...any thoughts/suggestions???

I'm not worried in the least bit about it. The staff has a ton of experience, and...it's Jefferson.

Read what "weallgrowup" wrote. He/she is pretty smack on. I'm going to be a P2 and I love it at Jefferson. Being from the west coast, living in center city grows on you as well. Good luck!

I hope this doesn't sound like a brochure for Jefferson, but I have visited there a few times, I'm from the area, and I am intrigued about what they have to offer versus the other schools where I interviewed (Temple, Touro, Rutgers, LIU, Creighton).

One big draw for me: Jefferson sets up your IPPE's (Introductory Pharmacy Practice Experiences) during your fall and spring P1 to P3 semesters, and they set up the sites for you and they've already built the IPPE's into the curriculum. At most other schools with older curriculums, you have to do your IPPE's on your own time (during summer breaks or on weekends), set them up yourself, and provide your own transportation (which sucks because you don't get paid for these). Ask about this at other schools.

Another big draw for me: "Integrated healthcare" is a hot topic, especially in pharmacy. Basically, we want to make sure that all healthcare professionals (pharmacists, physicians, nurses, etc.) communicate well with and respect each other. Every semester, Jefferson sets you up on a health mentor team. Every team is made up of a pharmacy student and other healthcare students from Jefferson's other schools (med student, nursing student, OT student, etc.). Each team is assigned a health mentor, who is a patient living with a chronic illness. You meet with your team for a few hours a week to speak with and learn from the patient, and each other, about patient care, integrated healthcare, etc. This is another very innovative aspect of Jefferson's curriculum that at any other school where I interviewed.

Also, it's part of the Jefferson Healthcare System, which is one of the top-ranked hospital/healthcare education systems in the country. As an example of that, they've built the new Hamilton Building. It's essentially a simulated hospital wing with a simulated hospital pharmacy, patient rooms, etc. Oh, and the patient rooms have actors who pose as patients, as well as robotic dummies that look, feel, and sound like real people. Beginning in your first semester, you take a class where you do hospital rounds with the other Jefferson students (med/nursing/OT/etc.) and you all try to diagnose the simulated patients!

Besides the great experience you get in hospital healthcare, Jefferson is located in the heart of the nation's pharmaceutical industry. Plus, Philadelphia is a great, fun city with some of the best restaurants and clubs.

Does Jefferson provide transportation to IPPE facilities? Or do we go by ourselves?

I'll be coming to JSP, and anticipating a good 4 years of studying hard and playing even harder!

And, in regards to the IPPEs, most of the places that they set up for us will be close around. Any place that is rather difficult to reach doesn't have any transportation provided by JSP.

You will indicate if you have a car or not and they'll take that into consideration. It may be difficult to get to some NJ sites even via public transportation ie having to take a train + bus to get to one site. I always indicated I wanted my sites to be within the city and never had a problem with getting to rotation sites. The furthest was a 15min train ride away.

Tentatively going to Jefferson. That is, my deposit's been put down and unless I hear from other schools, Jefferson's my first choice.

Anyone going to the student welcome event? It seems like it's going to be similar to their open house events.