Doctorino

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2008
Status (Visible)
not much talk about this specialty. it seems the cardio part of cardiothoracic surgery generates more interest. it requires going thru a ct fellowship but apparently there are some fellowships out there with a pure thoracics pathway. anybody can share some insights about general thoracics? the pros/cons vs. cardiac surgery?

Smoke This

Sweet cuppin' cakes!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 1, 2001
"Never made it up to Minnesota, North Dakota man w
Status (Visible)
Thoracic is great and I'd highly consider it. Pros: diversity, great mix of lap/thoracoscopic vs open, benign and cancer cases, small and large, both sides of the diaphragm, lots of scopes, opportunity to develop a niche like endobronchial U/S or esophageal function, lots of room to be a minimally-invasive innovator (robotic esophagectomies, thoracoscopic lobectomies, esophageal and endobronchial stenting, etc). I don't know how the job market is specifically but I can't imagine that it's worse than cardiac. Cons: really sick ass pts (the morbidity of some of these operations is astounding), lifestyle isn't very good (at least at my shop), the frustration of treating smoking-related illness in pts who may be unable to quit even after the blow of being diagnosed with cancer and having surgery for it, the possibility of nonsurgical therapies cutting in on or replacing surgery for management of traditional surgical diseases (ie GERD has an endoscopic plicator on the horizon, chemo-XRT for stage IIIA NSCLC, etc.), endless nuisance consults for putting in/taking out/managing chest tubes. Overall though I think the pros outweigh the cons and if this is a viable field when I'm done I would think about it.

Last edited:
About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.